Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Longleat Safari Park News 2012

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 1 Feb 2012.

1. The Wylye Codge

The Wylye Codge Member

Longleat Gorilla Photos

Three of the gorillas are out playing already, apparently the brothers instantly recognised each other, the fourth one isn't mixing with them yet, hopefully that will work out ok in time, but it may not. Photos taken there today are here (also click the home page for other photographs taken at Longleat today) The New Gorilla Colony At Longleat - The Wylye Codger

2. jacks zoo

jacks zoo Well-Known Member

Great pictures-the enclosure is looking quite nice..although I would still love to be able to see inside that house :( Can you tell me what has become of the 'hippodrome' (dated hippo house) that is on the right of the new gorilla development. Also what is the VIP platform you mentioned?

3. The Wylye Codge

The Wylye Codge Member

The enclosure actually looks even better, that was the latest photo that I had of the general area, the grass has grown, the waterfall in front of the house is in and the three brothers seemed to be really enjoying their new home, though they hadn't got used to the boats when I visited yesterday - so were staying towards the back of the enclosure, it's obviously very early days for them.

No idea about the 'hippodrome' - don't know what that was like the nearest building to the Colony's house is for the sea lions birthing etc, with a 'beach' up to it.

The VIP platform takes about 7 people including staff and gives a view over the back wall, it will form part of future payable VIP tours of which there are many (see their website). I was there for the press opening of the colony, etc.

4. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Do you know when they plan to introduce Boulas to the other three?

5. The Wylye Codge

The Wylye Codge Member

I think that they have tried, so far unsuccesfully (but it's early days), others will know far better than I do but from chatter yesterday I don't think that it is certain that integration will work, in which case Boulas presumably, will be found another home - but I'm only guessing.

6. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Seems a bit pointless to move him to Longleat if he won't be successfully introduced to the other trio. I think they'll try a few more times as Kesho is younger than Boulas and therefore more respectful.

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Its not really pointless sending him there as its only by trial and error they will find out if they can keep them as a foursome, they can't know beforehand. It is early days but if this fails he could either move on yet again- or stay there offshow some of the time.

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Shame they're seemingly perpetuating the myth that all penguins are from polar regions:rolleyes: (or maybe they're getting Emperor's:D).

Hopefully the educational material will explain otherwise.

10. Standpitpony

Standpitpony Well-Known Member

Hi,

I've got some tickets for Longleat through clubcard and me and my family are visiting this Thurday.Does anyone one want specific info about an exhibit/animal or anything else.I'll try and upload my pics.

Please can I have requests by 9:00 am on thurday,

Standpitpony :)

Last edited: 14 Aug 2012
  11. Pertinax

Any news on whether they have managed to get the Gorilla Boulas in with the other three or not. If you see 4 in the exhibit its yes, 3 means no....

12. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

13. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

14. Pertinax

15. Standpitpony

Standpitpony Well-Known Member

Had a great visit to Longleat this Thursday.I'm sad to say when I went past Gorilla Conoly,it was raining so the gorillas were sitting just outside there house.I could only see Kesho and another male who I couldn't recognize.In reply to Josh_08's message,the giraffe board family tree was not in sight but the African village was amazing!The giraffe feeding station was complete so I payed a pound to feed Kaiser one lettuce leaf.

Will try to work out how to upload my piccies from my camera soon,

Standpitpony

16. Pertinax

Which means they are shut outside so people can see them, but that was fairly obvious given the type of display.

17. Nisha

18. leiclad20

leiclad20 Well-Known Member

Can anyone answer a few questions?

1) now that the deer have moved to deer valley, what will become of their old enclosure? Bigger african game reserve - eland, oryx, ankole cattle, ostrich, wildebeest, nyala, rhino is quite a large group of big hoofstock that might appreciate a bigger field!

2) I think the lemur wood repalced wallaby wood - where are the wallaby nowadays?

3) where is the new penguin exhibit going to be?

4) has anymore been said about sun bears?

5) when the last common hippo dies, how likely is it that they will get more common hippos, given their potential aggression towards the boats and sea lions, the need for a new house, continuous need for very strong perimetre fencing etc? (I hope they do though - with their lake, if anyone can house hippos successfully, longleat can!)

6) the meerkats are now in a walk through in jungle kingdom, what has taken their place in the enclosure by the safari boat launch?

Cheers in advance.

19. Nisha

The Penguin exhibit will be located on what is currently a mantinence yard next to Monkey Jungle

Sun Bears - Forget it. Plans have apparently been scrapped for that one.... :(

20. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

Prairie dogs are now housed there