Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Longleat Safari Park News 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 4 Jan 2015.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ANNE UPDATE

It's been heating up and we're all finally enjoying summer here at Longleat, Anne especially so has been taking it easy. Many mammals really enjoy bathing themselves with dry mud showers and immersing themselves in cool, mud wallows and elephants are no exception. Mud helps protect their skin from the sun, keeps them cool and acts as a moisturiser and cleanser. So naturally a mud bath was on the cards for the next feature in Anne’s new haven. Judging by the photos, it’s safe to say she loved playing in and covering herself with mud, protecting herself from flies and having good fun whilst doing it!

Anne’s confidence is still slowly growing as she continues to explore further outside and for longer periods of time. She is also familiarising herself with her pool, which she has yet to take a full dip in. Anne’s grass paddock is growing well and she is able to enjoy parts of it but the rest still needs a little more time to develop a root system despite the great grass growing weather we have been enjoying lately. On particularly hot days, Anne’s keepers make and hang fruit blocks as well as giving Anne extra showers to keep her comfortable and cool as cucumber during these warm months

3. Jedd Cullinan

The Emus about 8 months ago has came to Longleat from Manor House Wildlife Park in Wales and it took a few hours to arrive at their new home

4. Jedd Cullinan

Next year 2016 it's the 50th Anniversary of the safari park. it's almost 50 years ago since the Safari Park has opened it's doors to the public in 1966.

as for the Emus well they are going to a huge new pasture ready for an exciting new exhibit for 2016 but don't know what it is yet.

as for the African Painted Dogs and Sun Bears. here is the explaining why they could not come last year 2014. We always strive to give our animals a great environment to live in, combined with also giving our visitors a great experience. Although we had looked into getting these spectacular animals we felt it would not have been possible to be able to deliver this experience. However, we hope some of our more recent additions since and in the future continue to give you some great days out.

I said yeah that's right and I said last year it's in the future the African painted dogs and when I went to London Zoo last month I just had a look at their environment there.

as for Anne the Elephant well she's doing really well in her new home and it's home sweet home for her

5. Jedd Cullinan

3 new Penguin Chicks has been born for the first time

Say hello to our newest additions to Penguin Island! Our three chicks are the youngest members of our colony of Humboldt penguins. Congratulations to Paula, Nick, Eusebir and Princess who are all first time parents and coping brilliantly!

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. Jedd Cullinan

The giraffes has now got a new home as there is more space for them. there are 3 pens in the new house. 2 pens are for the male giraffes like Thorn and the spare pen is for giving birth on. If you guys have a look at the video on Facebook and you'll find out

8. Jedd Cullinan

Look at this post on Facebook

it says Longleat really hope get new animal next year for 50th White lions, tigers, different peguins or bears be cool.

I wonder what's all this about the hope of bringing White Lions to Longleat ?

anyone got any ideas ?

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

where on Facebook does it say this? Facebook is a big place. I find it difficult to understand what your post is actually saying but it reads like a random person's comment and nothing to do with a statement from the park.

10. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Bears could be a possibility however I cant imagine them adding white lions!

Talking of lions does anyone know the names of the male lions in pride A and B?

11. Jedd Cullinan

it's under the person called Dan Lionman. and yes the bears will be a brillaint addition

12. Jedd Cullinan

as far as I know it's Simba and Klaus in 2nd pride

Harry in the 1st pride

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

who is Dan Lionman? :confused:

14. Jedd Cullinan

I know and you're qiute right. that comment does look like random to me

15. Jedd Cullinan

I don't know. shall we just say he's a random person ?

16. Jedd Cullinan

Did you all know that all 4 Donkeys has just arrived

Look who has come to join the Animal Adventure Team. Delightful Donkeys! smile emoticon We have Minstrel, Bobbin, Gwynn and Sandy who are already very much part of our animal family.The four handsome chaps have come to us via a rescue centre and are settling well, probably pleased to have a safe home for life.The Keepers are taking our newest arrivals out for daily walks, getting them used to all the exciting sights of Longleat. And that includes the visits from our Farrier, lots of grooming and meeting their new neighbours the Emu and Jacobs Sheep.

17. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Longleat has announced the birth of a Rothschild's Giraffe who they have named Piper.