Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari Park news thread

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Jedd Cullinan, 25 Feb 2020.

1. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

{Note from mods - this thread split from here: Longleat Safari Park 2020 [Longleat Safari & Adventure Park]}

Guys. To admit and just want to point out that this thread is really about animals and not the values at all as I did actually got told off by the ZooChat staff member for putting it on here so if you were posting the values please don't do the same like I did and I also do apologize for that

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Feb 2020
  2. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

What are 'values'...?

3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Jedd would have been reminded (not "told off" ) that his post relating to a concert at Longleat was not about the subject of the thread, the safari park itself and the animals within. Therefore it did not meet the "values" laid down in the forum rules

Jedd Cullinan likes this.
  4. Andrew Swales

Thank you for the clarification; that at least makes sense.

Jedd Cullinan likes this.
  5. Andrew Swales

I have re-read this and am now confused... A post about a concert at Longleat is deleted because it is not linked to the thread, but posts about light festivals are not. Could you explain how concerts and light festivals differ?

6. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maybe because the lights festival is animal themed? Just like the talk about Lego animals at various zoos, its all relevant :)

7. Andrew Swales

Yes, maybe... but presumably the profit from the concert would go (or at least help) towards animal care and/or conservation, just like (for example) book sales in gift shops or any other non-animal related subject or post?

TNT likes this.
  8. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Jedd's post if you remember, simply stated something along the lines of "I just noticed this ...." and a link to a facebook page with no description. In itself, I'd say it had no value and maybe too hastily replied that it was not relevant to the animals or the safari park itself. However, there are options to visit the safari park as well as the concert. This is similar to events at the likes of Yorkshire Wildlife Park and to some extent, Twycross, which have been discussed in the past.

Andrew Swales likes this.
  9. Andrew Swales

Yes - I see, it was the 'naked' link with no explanation of what it was too, which makes the (clear) difference - not the actual non-animal/zoo related subject. Thank you.

10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

For the sake of clarity - posts about events at a zoo which are not specifically about animals are technically off topic, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort to clean up every single marginal post. As much as possible, I prefer to leave that for the more egregious off topic content (a bit like this series of posts including mine :rolleyes: ) - so there may be the occasional inconsistency there.

We also do have a rule about adding value and have decided that "naked links" - a link to another website without any meaningful description or summary - does not add value, since the user must click on the link to actually find out what is there.

We do have an education process in place to inform members about this rule and make some suggestions for improvement - after which the moderators will generally just delete posts which we deem to not add value.

I might now split this discussion into a separate thread so that we don't continue to drag the Longleat thread further off topic.

11. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you and here's a link and it's called Longleat Live https://www.longleat.co.uk/news/longleat’s-brand-new-summer-festival-with-bite