Join our zoo community

Looking for information on captive African manatees

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Lamantin, 28 Mar 2016.

1. Lamantin

Lamantin Member 5+ year member

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this discussion group, I'm an African manatee researcher and conservationist. I study the species in the wild in several African countries, I've built a research and conservation network in 19 countries, and we work to end hunting and other threats. I'm very interested to find out more about where African manatees are in captivity in Asia, because these animals could help us better understand the species in the wild. Additionally, there are no captive care facilities for injured/orphaned African manatees in Africa, so I'm hoping someday to find an aquarium in Africa that has the interest and funding to develop a care facility.

I've been reading some interesting posts here about African manatees in Asian aquariums. I'm interested to know if anyone has more information or additional photos of African manatees at the following zoos/aquariums: Yantai, Penglai, Nanning Zoo, and Chimelong Ocean World in China, and any facilities in Thailand, Korea, etc. I already know about the manatees at Toba Aquarium in Japan, Coex Aquarium in S. Korea, Hangzhou Aquarium in China, and at Far Glory Ocean Park in Taiwan. I'm only interested in African manatees at this time, although I previously worked with West Indian manatees & think they're great too!

Thanks in advance for any insights!