Join our zoo community

Looking for some good ocean books

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by TheMightyOrca, 29 Nov 2014.

1. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So I've been writing stories about mermaids and I really like to go in-depth with settings and accuracy. (because the mermaid stories would be TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE if I misplaced a fish or a kelp species!) I could really use some ocean guide books, stuff that focuses on area by area kind of thing. I have books on fish and marine mammals, but they're more organized by taxa and I'm trying to find stuff organized by area. Plus I want to know more about the general local environment, not just fauna. Coral? Kelp forests? Rocky shores?

2. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

It will be difficult to find a single book which covers all your requirements with sufficient detail. For a regional ID guide, I'd suggest you choose the region first, but if it suits you then Collins' 'coral reef guide - red sea' might be a good start. :)

3. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, I'd didn't think a general book would be available. Waaaaay too much info. Oh well. Thanks for the tip!