Join our zoo community

Loro Parque Loro Parque Tenerife

Discussion in 'Canary Islands' started by Johnny, 25 Feb 2009.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@VC, do you know what the status of Lear's macaws is in Europe and overseas from Brasil?

2. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Aside from Loro Parque only three other European zoos currently keep Lear's macaws according to Zootierliste (Pairi Diaza, Prague and Harewood Bird Garden in Leeds). Zootierliste indicated that breeding has occurred at Prague and Leeds.

I believe the non-public facility ACTP (Association for the Conservation of Threatened Parrots) in Germany also has Lear's macaws.

Jungle Man, Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jungle Man, Kifaru Bwana and Antoine like this.
  4. vogelcommando

14 years ago 2 pairs of Lear's macaws were recieved from the Brazilian Government.
    Untill now 35 young have been bred and 17 of these have already been returned to Brazil. 6 of these macaws have already been released into the wild and 2 more - which were send to Brazil a few weeks ago will also be released :).

5. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

6. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

SivatheriumGuy likes this.
  7. vogelcommando

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They could try spreading turpentine on nest cavities to deter bees from amazon nests. It is used in Poland to deter pine martens from nests of rare eagles. Some other strongly smelling substance could be even better insect deterrent.

9. katinakalinakaterina

katinakalinakaterina Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Morgan the orcas calf, Ula has passed away shy of her third birthday. The second orca to die at Loro Parque this year following Skyla in March. Loro Parque intends to conduct a necropsy.

SivatheriumGuy and StoppableSan like this.
  10. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

****ZZxxxx:mad: - or to be polite: Very sad news:(.

11. SivatheriumGuy

Birdsage and Haliaeetus like this.
  12. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

First time in life I see lemurs being blessed by pope.

Birdsage and SivatheriumGuy like this.
  13. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is not the pope but a bishop.

Funny you were focused on this as I was focused on the exhibit which looks not good at all in my opinion (no offense).

14. SivatheriumGuy

It's certainly a bizarre picture, but the best they posted.

15. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Catholic priest doesn´t bless the lemurs but the space (building/enclosure), at least this is what I get. This is pretty normal type of pic you can get on Polish media when a new supermarket, stadium or other public building in Poland gets opened. But to see it from Spain is surprising.

16. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Revisited Loro Parque for the first time in five years this week, and I was thoroughly impressed with a lot of the park. So many of the enclosures are well designed and thought out, and the climate definitely helps with visibility of a lot of the species.
    There are always issues to be had at every zoo and the ones here certainly weren’t hidden - astro turf in the gorilla and tiger enclosures, and a fairly small and not overly imaginative enclosure for jaguars. I’m still curious to also know why the zoo keeps two separate groups of chimpanzees (a group of 4.3 western animals onshow, and a group of 1.0 western and 0.3 central animals offshow)
    But the park is incredibly engaging, the money is clearly being put to good use both in-situ and ex-situ, and they for sure have some of the best looked after animals I’ve ever seen.
    Highlights for me were the penguins (nearly 280 individuals across five species!), Katandra Treetops, the aquarium, and the many, MANY parrots (of the 350 species and subspecies they have, we counted just over 200 signed and unsigned)
    I’ll definitely be back! :D

17. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

What are the species of penguins displayed there?

18. ShonenJake13

They have two enclosures for penguins in Planet Penguin - the first is a mixed exhibit for Humboldt penguins with a loggerhead sea turtle and various fish (guitarfish, rays, other large fish like sea bass, groupers and trevallies)
    The second is a huge Antarctic style enclosure (with real snow falling from the ceiling!) that houses a mixed colony of king, subantarctic gentoo, chinstrap and western rockhopper penguins.

(there are two other exhibits in here as well, one for Atlantic puffins, the other is a huge cylinder aquarium that houses a large shoal of Monodactylus argenteus)

19. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I remember the old good times when this cylinder was filled with much more interesting bogues (Boops boops) instead moonies. In this visit they also had a whiskered? tern in the puffin enclosure, and a great black-backed gull with the penguins. Maybe both were temporary rescues that didn't stayed for long.

20. ShonenJake13

The silver moonies do look really impressive - myself and @devilfish (whom I was travelling with) both remarked that they made for a much more dynamic exhibit than the larger fish that were previously in there. Possibly because there’s a greater number of them?