Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Los Angeles Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by Blackduiker, 9 Apr 2016.

1. jpc323

jpc323 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Most of your list is easy to find just walking around. The ones I've left in the
    quote above are little trickier - of the other are housed in those little roundabouts you see peppered throughout the zoo and are frequently moved around.

The calamian deer are back by the children's zoo on your way into the zoo.

The uakari are in the Rainforest area, but behind a fence and set back from the path (right next to the howler monkey enclosure.) Bring binoculars or a zoom lens if you want a closer look.

The Chinese goral is outside of the LAIR house, but tucked onto an alternate path by the exit. The easiest way to be sure you don't miss them is to skip the entrance and turn left down the next path. They're in a small pool adjacent to the building.

The Chinese water deer are technically part of the Elephants of Asia exhibit, but all the way on the back of the elephant yard by the snow leopards. They can be quite shy and their exhibit is kind of tucked behind a bunch of educational displays about elephants.

I have no idea about the owl, let me know if you find it!

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not aware that the LA Zoo has Hawaiian short-eared owls. I don't know that I've ever seen the paca. They hide in their enclosure. The LA Zoo has moustached guenons? Other than those species everything else is easy to see for the most part.

Last edited: 26 May 2016
  3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The guenons are in an African roundhouse. No clue regarding the owls. The paca is in a South American roundhouse (sharing an exhibit with some monkey species) as well as the howler monkey exhibit in rainforest of the Americas. Good luck seeing one, though... All I saw was a foot.

Have a great trip!

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the Hawaiian short-eared owl (there is only one) was being shown in the World of Birds show. I don't think it was on display otherwise, and I don't know if they still have it.

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for all the help guys! Will be very helpful in planning my visit.

How long is the bird show, and is it easy to view and still see the whole zoo in a day?

~Thylo:cool:

6. jpc323

It's not too long, but it's only once a day - at 11am - and they don't do it every day depending on how the birds are doing.

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Let me correct a couple of these. The Calamian Deer is actually at the far end of the zoo by the play park. There are none in the children's zoo. The Chinese Goral are not by the LAIR, they are also at the back of the zoo across from the Chimp Penthouse in a hillside exhibit. The owl should still be in the bird show but I haven't seen it in a while.

Like everyone said, the rest should be easy to find throughout the zoo. As for best route, I usually like going left once you get to the main fork on the road. That way you get to see the LAIR before it gets crowded later in the day, and you get to see the Perenties and Tasmanian devils when they are active. However, that means you will be on the other side of the rainforest and bird show. If it's really hot when you come, try to get to the zoo when it opens.

10. jpc323

Lol, I definitely mixed these up with gharial. That's...super embarrassing. Thanks!

11. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys!:) It's very helpful and I'm very much looking forward to visiting the zoo.

The route you suggested mstickmanp is the one I was planning on, though it will be challenging to do that and see the bird show at 11:30. I was thinking of doing the entrance area (seals, ect), children's zoo, and LAIR first, then seeing the show, and then backtracking and continuing from there.

~Thylo:cool:

12. African Grey

African Grey Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. joshgrossglaza

joshgrossglaza Well-Known Member

There's only one Komodo dragon at the zoo and the false gharials are in the same enclosure. Anyone knows what happened to the other Komodo and what's going to become of Methuselah and Cajun Kate's enclosure? I've heard several rumors, such as several juvenile American alligators, and new male/female pair of American Alligators, maybe some Chinese alligators. I've even heard rumors of a saltwater crocodile occupying the enclosure.

14. jpc323

That would be badass.

The reptile curator mentioned a couple years ago that he was hoping to bring in a breeding pair of Indian gharials for that enclosure, but have heard nothing about it since.

15. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

It was listed in one of the monthly meeting notes a few months ago that Indian gharials were coming "soon". No information since then, it may have fallen through.

16. jpc323

Interestingly enough, I was at the zoo on Thursday and one of those enclosures was being used for Painted River Terrapins, which I hadn't noticed before

http://i.imgur.com/BY1eVHm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Aug 2016
  17. jpc323

18. African Grey

African Grey Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

20. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Among the births listed is
    0.1 Delacour's langur