Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Los Angeles Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by Thomas, 10 Jan 2020.

1. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So to start the new year and decade.

‘The L.A. Zoo is excited to announce its first hatching of 2020 and a *first-time* reproduction for us! The fringe-limbed tree frog is rarely seen in nature and we've been working for two years in hopes of egg fertilization. It will take several months for the tadpoles to grow into frogs, after which they’ll settle into an exhibit at the Rainforest of the Americas area of the Zoo.’

Any idea what species of fringe-limbed tree frog it is?

AWP, StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. African Grey

African Grey Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Seems like 2 of the Congo peafowl chicks didn't make it.

The meeting minutes seems to imply that ticket prices might be going up again. I wish they could get more money from the city instead; the prices are already pretty high, although not dissimilar from other American zoos its size.

Great Argus and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  4. Thomas

It's nice that now Palawan Palm Vipers or Schultz's pit viper are joining the zoo, given the success of the Lair's Snake breeding program.

The animals at the Zoo that are native to the Philippines include Visayan Warty Pig, Grey's Monitor, and Calamian Deer any others did I miss?

For the painted Terrapins, since the zoo has females that live with Gharials the addition of two males could start a breeding program for this endangered turtle species.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hard to say... I know one or two species are or were around in US and Costa Rican zoos, but I have to look up which and were.

6. jpc323

jpc323 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Anyone heard about the baby gorilla? Getting a little concerned...

7. Thomas

I got word and the species of the Fringe-limbed Tree Frog is (Cruziohyla craspedopus) are there any zoos that have this species?

AWP likes this.
  8. AWP

Ah, but that a completely different type of tree frog than the ones I was thinking of! This one is actually the Fringed Tree Frog. Fringe-limbed Trees Frogs are Ecnomiohyla spp.

I don't know about the US, but according to Zootierliste three instutions in Europe keep Cruziohyla craspedopus and no surprising is that Manchester Museum is one of these. Cruziohyla spp. are high on my amphibian whish list, but I'm reluctant to traveling to Manchester just for a couple of frog species.

For the record: Henry Vilas Zoo kept Ecnomiohyla fimbrimembra off show and the last known individual of E. rabborum lived in Atlanta Botanical Gardens untill it died. El Valle in Panama had a ex-situ program for E. miliaria and Arenal Eco Zoo in Costa Rica kept a unspecified Ecnomiohyla.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. AWP

I expect to be in Los Angeles for some days in May/June and I'm considering to visit the zoo as I have some free time (at least an afternoon). I will probably stay in Long Beach and as the hotel looks awesome (the Queen Mary), it seems a quite off part of the city. I won't rent a car, so how is transportation in Los Angeles? Is public transport or a taxi a good option (regarding time and costs) between Long Beach and the zoo?

10. Coelacanth18

On cost alone, I wouldn't bother with taxis. Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft are cheaper and should take the same amount of time. That will be your fastest option, but the exact price can vary widely by traffic; Long Beach and Griffith Park are on opposite sides of the LA basin so in heavy traffic it could be an hour or more and cost quite a bit.

I'm not sure about buses; my understanding is that they are cheap but not particularly fast. However, consider taking a short Uber/Lyft to the Metro's Blue Line in Long Beach and use the Metro to make your way up to Studio City or Highland Park, then take another short Uber/Lyft drive to the zoo. It costs ~$3 one-way with unlimited stops, and it'll save you from getting stuck in most traffic.

AWP likes this.
  11. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

12. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Ndjia had her baby yesterday.

13. jpc323

Fantastic!

betsy likes this.
  14. jpc323

Update: the baby is adorable. N’Djia is very protective, so you have to be patient. Fortunately, Kelly is very curious and very protective of them both, so when he gets close, she'll move between hiding places and you can get a glimpse

ZooGirlSD and African Grey like this.
  15. jpc323

"A Zoo animal care staff are excited to confirm our baby gorilla is a female! Over the coming months, guests can expect to see N’Djia continue to carry her baby against her chest until the baby is strong enough to hang on N'Djia's back"

16. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The A Line (or Blue Line) light rail goes from Long Beach to downtown Los Angeles. From there you can catch a single bus straight to Griffith Park. I have not been to Los Angeles since they added the new light rail lines, but I did once take the bus from downtown to Griffith Park. Here is their website: LA Metro Home | Go Metro

AWP, StoppableSan and twilighter like this.
  17. African Grey

African Grey Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. Coelacanth18

19. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It will be great if it can start in 2024. They need to pass a bond initiative or find some other major source of funding to pay for the projects, so hopefully that is not overly optimistic. One of their stated goals at the master plan workshop was to get a major exhibit complex done by the 2028 Olympics.

It is good to see that Australian lungfish is coming back to the LAIR after the previous one died of old age.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Thomas

And it’s even more exciting that the Victoria Crowned Pigeons are coming back when was the last time they were here?

Also it’s best to be Patience even though we’re four years away from the phase 1 perhaps it might start earlier?

and the major exhibit complex might be the California area?!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.