Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Los Angeles Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by Thomas, 10 Jan 2020.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

twilighter likes this.
  2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I asked at the master plan workshop if the African zone would be the likely starting place because that is where the most popular animals they will build new exhibits for are (giraffes, lions, hippos, rhinos, etc.). The response was that they need to update a lot of infrastructure near the entrance of the zoo before they work on parts deeper into the zoo, like the new African zone. I think that likely means that the California zone would be first, as it is intended to be the grand entrance exhibit complex to the zoo.

If the master plan is approved and implemented as presented, it is going to be a massive undertaking. They will basically be transforming the entire road and pathway system of the zoo and updating the antiquated plumbing and electrical systems. They will also be developing large areas of unused space, as well as bulldozing old exhibit areas and building upon them.

3. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

Based on the Vision Plan so far available, if it goes as scheduled or planned despite the delay on starting the project, the parking lot and event center would be done first and approximately take about 2 years. Then California would come next hopefully in time for the Olympics which could give the zoo a financial boost with the opening of the exhibit.

Arizona Docent and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I also remember them suggesting that California would be first, because I remember thinking about how they were going to build a brand-new exhibit area before overhauling any of the old ones. Going from the entrance in potentially makes more sense from an infrastructure and marketing standpoint, but it would be nice if existing areas were slated for upgrades first.

I wasn't expecting the timeline to be shorter and I have sympathy for the multiple fundraising and pre-construction processes that must be completed beforehand. Still, it is an objectively long time. If the first new exhibits aren't completed until shortly before the Olympics, the last areas of the zoo probably won't be slated for renovation until 2040 at the absolute earliest. By then, the areas being replaced will have been outdated for several decades, and who knows whether the funding they need can be guaranteed that far out.

I'm not saying the timeline is significantly different from other zoos, just that LA has a huge area of infrastructure and exhibit space to overhaul; it is hard to imagine how the city or industry might change over such a long span.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For the Victorian Crown Pigeon, I would recall of portrait of it near the entrance of the administration building as the winner of a photo award.

when was the last time this species was exhibited and did it live in the second lower walk through Aviary now housing Asian/Australian Birds?

6. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

7. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Three gerenuk calves born!

8. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great news. So sad, DAK, Zoo Miami and ZooTampa no longer keep this species.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have seen them in the nursery pen last week :)
    20200214_115402.jpg

10. twilighter

Regardless of it's fading glory, Los Angeles zoo always had special place in the zoo enthusiasts hearts and it is easy to say why, after you visit them. I am regularly browsing through the late Stephen's Romo, RIP, facebook pictures of the 80's LA zoo with regret, that could not turn back the time. Zebra Duiker and Giant Eland breeding groups, Harnessed bushbuck, Japanese Serow and the Sumatran Rhino Emi are just part of the former LA fantastic hoofstock collection.

It is bid sad that this Californian facility, which has all the prerequisites to be second to San Diego, slowed down their development in the last decades. They probably been one of the world's leading zoological gardens in the 80's, but are barely in top 30 nowadays. Nevertheless, LA still have what to show, especially, when it comes to the exclusivity of the collection. Many of the exhibits are unfortunately outdated, but the great climate conditions, beautiful landscape and strong husbandry traditions keeps them among USA's bests.

It is nothing new, that zoo is specializing with Duikers and I saw three Black Duikers, two Yellow-backed Duikers and one Red-Flanked Duiker. Even SDZ and SDZSP had only one spieces each on-show. They are keep breeding Gerenuk and three new babies came to the world few months ago. The Gerenuk keeper, who was feeding one of the babies in the Nursary pen, told me that, when they gave the Gerenuks to Berlin, they suspected they not going to do well, because of the cold temperature. The lacking of body fat, make them extremely vulnerable to a harsh conditions, she added.

I believe the zoo still holds breeding group of their biggest draw-card the Mountain Tapirs. I saw three individuals. Two in their permanent exhibit and one in the former Rhino pen. There were two Calamian Deers also, another unique species for the zoo world.

Few of the non-Australan zoos can mach their Marsupial collection.It includes Tasmanian Devils, Koala, Short-nosed Echidna,Western gray kangaroo,Yellow-footed rock wallaby and great Southern Hairy-nosed Wombat nocturnal house.

There are even more rarities, especially from European stand point. Brazilian Ocelot,Ringtail, American Badger, Desert Bighorn Sheep, Speke's gazelle, Proghorn, Massai giraffe, Coquerel's sifaka, Geoffrey’s spider monkey, Califronian Condor,Blue-billed curassow and s.o, and s.o.

The last addition Rainforest of America didn't impress match , but holds species, like Baird's Tapir, Harpy Eagle, Giant Otters and almost hidden Red Uakari.

LA have some very up to date areas also.The Elephants of Asia and Gorilla reserve can easily meet the modern standards and there will be a newborn attraction in the last one soon.

The Lair is one of the best Echoterm complexes , i have ever seen, but if you want to see it properly need to be there early on the morning.

I wish, I can come back in California in near future and will follow the new Master plan with great interest, hoping the LA zoo will soon restore their world class reputation :)

Last edited: 23 Feb 2020
    Cat-Man, Brum, AWP and 7 others like this.
  11. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are not breeding unfortunately. They have 5 individuals. 4 males and 1 female and they are all related to each other.

twilighter and StoppableSan like this.
  12. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

Very well said! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay here and I too hope the new vision plan places it amongst the best zoological parks in the world :)

Cat-Man and twilighter like this.
  13. twilighter

This is sad ! I read that they are not big priority for AZA. Is LA the only place in North America holding the spieces?

14. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Don't worry, it's not a problem at all. The Gerenuks at Berlin Tierpark are caged in a small, well-heated barn for 7 months and only come out again when it is warm again over 59ºF. When it rains and winds, they come back to the barn immediately, even in summer, so that the animals in Berlin have to spend most of their lives in the barn. Well, Gerenuks don't get older than 15 years, so everything is in the green area. But at least the Berlin animals are able to raise their fawns themselves, even though they are so soft. Does the animal keeper in L.A know that Gerenuks are also kept in Denver, for example - and sometimes it's cold there, too;)

Well, if 5 of the Berlin Gerenuks had not died of illness, they probably would still be fine today, despite the nasty cold in Berlin, with which they never came in contact.:)

Perhaps the nice young lady at the Petting Zoo should ask herself how snow leopards or takins are doing in sunny Southern California? :)Unfortunately there is no way for these animals to take off their fur and go swimming ... :(But I can tell you one thing. In Central Europe, snow leopards suffer considerably from the hot summers. Well, 101 ° F, and that over 6 or 7 months are temperatures that these animals are not know from their homecountries ...

Frankfurt Zoo gave away his Mishmi takins a few years ago because it was much too hot for them in their enclosure on a southern slope. They live now in cold Madrid, where they are doing much better:):):)

twilighter likes this.
  15. twilighter

Been in Berlin multiple times and strongly believe, that the zoo is doing their best to for the spieces and I mentioned this in our conversation :) The only enclosure this November in TP, with note, that animals are inside due to cold weather, was Gerenuk's. The question was, that California has natural advantage, when it comes to the warm loving species. The opposite is also true, of course . Snow leopards, Takins or Polar bear in LA or SD are definitely controversial subjects.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2020
  16. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo holds a male female pair but they are also not breeding as the female is too old.

twilighter likes this.
  17. jpc323

jpc323 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

....wait, where do they keep the badger?

18. twilighter

In the Children's zoo. You can not miss it :)

19. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the Children’s Zoo section, in the former ocelot exhibit (ocelots moved to a roundhouse in the South America section with enclosures with Blue-billed Curassows and a Crested Caracara), the American Badger is very active, his name is Freddy, He was confiscated because someone tried to keep him as pet, and he’s also an animal outreach ambassador.

StoppableSan likes this.
  20. jpc323

jpc323 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ah, that's why I missed it. Thanks!