Join our zoo community

Lowland Gorillas in Europe 2021

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Chatt Wolf, 25 Jan 2021.

1. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

But from the perspective from his mothersside Virunga could be put in some more genetic availibility. Badongo is not really in a very proliferic situation.
    So a small group of two females for Lomako is in my opinion not excluded. Otherwise he could act as a gentle all male group leader.

Pertinax likes this.
  2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I feel sure PD will at least try to get females now as they tried before but failed. They could swap the two silverbacks around perhaps if the 'wrong' one (genetically speaking) is with the two young males...

Last edited: 16 Jul 2021
  3. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

@Pertinax if there is a chance that Gernot could be sexaully mature, why have London Zoo not moved him on? @Pertinax with your wealth of experience which male do you think is the best candidate to be London's Silverback, and when do you think he will arrive? Finally now that her Dad has passed do you think Alika will spend her whole life at London Zoo. Personally I think this would be very sensible as a Mother and Daughter relationship is very strong and holding on to Alika would add a breeding female to the group. In my opion a Gorilla Familly should be founded from Majukuu (Jookie),Effie,Alika and a new Silverback. Could Shomari become London's Silverback? If this option is not viable could one of the males from Longleat or Paignton move to London?

4. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Many thanks Pertinax for your comment. Much appreciated.

Pertinax likes this.
  5. Pertinax

1. Well, they can afford to keep Gernot on a while yet, a few months at least- but he could be fertile after that.

2. EEP decide new males for breeding positions usually based on genetics/age/ temperament/availability etc. There are something like 50+ surplus males in bachelor groups around Europe. All of those at Longleat and Paignton are from genetically well-represented lines- (as is Shomari in Paira Daiza,) so maybe a less likely choice than some others, but who knows....

3. I presume London will keep young female Alika- there is no reason for her to leave and she could be a future breeding female in due course.

6. The Hedgehog

@Pertinax it is exelent news that Alika will most likely stay at London. With three Females a new Silverback needs to be sought fast. A Gorilla Family without a male is not the best situation.

7. Pertinax

No it isn't, but they had a bad episode previously, so will be very wary of anymore bad publicity, particularly after the tiger death as well, and so are being overcautious about how long they wait before bringing in a new one.

8. The Hedgehog

@Pertinax are you happy that Alika will most probably always reside at London Zoo? I understand London's concern regarding intergrating a new Silverback into the family. If I were London Zoo I would want to avoid another incident like when Kesho murdered Tiny the infant son of Mjukuu (Jookie) and the first Western Lowland Gorilla born at London for 22 years.

9. Pertinax

I only presume Alika will stay in London, I do not know but it seems logical. It is better not to use the term 'murdered' with reference to animals- its an emotive non-scientific description that relates to humans only really. He did attack the baby though which died from its wounds, but it was misguided of them to try such an introduction..

Last edited: 17 Jul 2021
    marmolady likes this.
  10. The Hedgehog

@Pertinax, I agree that the best outcome would be for Alika to remain at London, and become an additional breeding female. @Pertinax I think it is very likely that Alika will stay at London Zoo. A similar situation occurred at Dublin Zoo as Harry their Silverback passed Due to this his daugter .Kambiri remained at Dublin Zoo.

Regarding Shomari could he join the bachelor group at Port Lyme,Zoo Ouwehands,Dieren Park,Zoo,La Boissiere, Du Dore, Paignton Zoo or Zoo Safari De Thoiry?

11. Pertinax

Unlikely. Transferring a new silverback to an established male group is very difficult- near impossible. More likely he will stay where he is and be given new companions. Which sex I don't know.

12. GreatApeFan7

GreatApeFan7 Active Member

On July 14th, Muna gave birth to a son at Zoo Krefeld. The baby was sired by silverback Kidogo.

Charlie and Pertinax like this.
  13. The Hedgehog

@GreatApeFan7 this is very welcome and the first positive news for the Apes at Krefeld Zoo,since the tragic fire of New Years Day 2019. The fire lead to the death of the entire Orangutan family,a couple of Gorillas a a Chimpanzee. I think the new Gorilla should be named Ash,Flame or Phoenix. This is as the youngster has risen from the tragic fire 2 and a half years ago.

Charlie likes this.
  14. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know I am talking now about plans for a few more years but Chester Zoo has announced plans are back in place to start on the African Grasslands Project for 2023 (Postponed due to covid). In the masterplan is a new enclosure and family of Gorillas joining in the collection in the future. But we may be talking several more years yet

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Pepe

Pepe Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Leaving gorilla daughters with their mother is not very natural, so it might be better to move Alika to another zoo. But as most breeding had to be stopped in the EEP, due to a lack of space, there is also less need for transfers.
    I do nto think that Pairi Daiza will receive females, at least I hope not, as their enclosure is unsuitable for a breeding group.
    As for Lomako, this parents were genetically very important; full sibling Badongo has not bred much, neither has full sibling Touni. But there are also some half-siblings breeding, so the line of the sire (Yaounde) is well represented by now. I guess, but do not know for sure, that there would be (genetically) better candidates.

16. Charlie

Charlie Active Member

Same Thought As You. Leaving Daughters With Their Mom Is Really Not A Good Idea.

17. Pertinax

Why not? Young females may emigrate to other groups in the wild but I'm not sure all do that by any means. In zoo groups where daughters stay in the group longterm there seems a much closer 'family' bond than among unrelated females. In a case like London, there seems no need to remove her as the new male will be unrelated, they currently only have two other females and it would save the effort of any transfers. I don't see a problem at all.

marmolady likes this.
  18. The Hedgehog

Neither do I @Pertinax, I think it would be very good if Alika could stay at London Zoo. At Chessington World Of Adventures they have Shanga and her Mum Shani this has worked out extremely well.

19. GreatApeFan7

GreatApeFan7 Active Member

GaiaZoo is currently looking for a replacement for their late silverback, Makula. Due to the number of parties involved and the permits required, it will still take a couple of months. They are looking at the demeanor of potential candidates and want to make sure he'd be unrelated to the current females. Castrated male Loango, the younger brother of the late silverback, does attempt taking control but the females know how to stand their ground.

Source: Update na overlijden zilverrug Makula - GaiaZOO

Charlie and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  20. Pertinax

This is interesting behaviour, even if only its only temporary and not seen in zoos before. Seems despite castration he still has some male instincts.