Join our zoo community

Zoo Tampa at Lowry Park Lowry Park Zoo's Asian Elephants

Discussion in 'United States' started by StoppableSan, 16 Nov 2020.

1. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To whom it may concern, does anyone have any pictures of the former Asian elephant habitat at the Lowry Park Zoo? I'm asking as I could have sworn there were pictures on the internet but as far as I can see I can't find any. I'm interested in the original design and juxtaposing that original yard with the new design (which I believe is for Malayan tapirs?)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

StoppableSan, Zorro and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

The original design was pretty much the same as it is now, without the "Asian" inspired décor. Yes, Mayalyan tapirs are in there now, and have been for a while.
    The Indian Rhinos have been moved around a bit within the Asian Domain. They are currently in their original location in the back of the area across from the gharials. Originally the Tapirs were where the gharials are now.

When the elephants were removed the rhino moved to that enclosure and the rhino enclosure had przewalksi's horse for quite some time. The tapirs were still in their old exhibit throughout that time.

At some point the horses were removed and the rhinos moved back while the tapirs moved up. Also at that time the rhino enclosure was expanded back into the scrubby area that had key deer and cranes. There was something else in the old tapir enclosure before gharials moved in, but I can't remember what it was.

4. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken there were Bactrian Camels in the current rhino enclosure (after the horses and before the rhino moved back). Also the last two asian elephant's that were kept there were Tilly (the one that killed the keeper) and her male calf Luke.

SwampDonkey and StoppableSan like this.
  5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

That's completely possible, I don't remember exactly. Thinking more about it, I think that the tapir enclosure had reeve's muntjacs between the tapirs and gharials. But that might not be correct.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.