Join our zoo community

Lumphini Park At Last

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by Jackwow, 5 May 2013.

1. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Although I have been travelling to / living in Thailand for almost 25 years and although I have passed Lumphini Park probably a few thousand times I had never, until 2 days ago, actually gone into the park. Not sure what finally made me decide to go other than I had heard there were quite a few bird species there.

I had heard that the morning was the best time to go but I chose to go at 1pm, and it was hot, very hot. I really didn't expect to see much and certainly didn't expect to get many photographs but four hours later I left very pleased and also very wet.

I saw at least 8 different bird species, of which six were new to me, along with Water Monitors, another lizard and a turtle. I have posted pics of all the birds and would appreciate hearing from anyone if I've ID'd any of them incorrectly. They were,

Asian Pied Starling
    Black-collared Myna
    Common Myna
    Jungle Crow
    Little Egret
    Oriental Magpie Robin
    Pied Fantail
    White-vented Myna

So now that I've finally made it there I can't wait till I get back again!

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

@Jackwow, sounds like an interesting place, but what exactly is it? Just a park in a city (Bangkok)? Or a nature reserve? Is it free to enter?

I am most impressed with the water monitors, seeing them would be very cool.

3. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yep, just a big park in Bangkok (an oasis in a concrete jungle), which the locals use for exercise (walking, running, cycling). Free to enter.