Join our zoo community

M. Man Takes Atlanta

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 23 Sep 2019.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Photos from my visit are in the gallery, but now comes the full trip report:

Review of Zoo Atlanta

Zoo Atlanta - Conservation in Action

Among the smaller major zoos in the United States, Zoo Atlanta, found in the capital city of Georgia, began when a group of circus animals were left behind. After finding a permanent home in Grant Park, the Zoo continued to grow and flourish until the 1980’s, when Atlanta was considered one of the ten worst zoos in the country. Terry Maple, who has since become one the great zoo directors, was charged with revitalizing the establishment, and indeed he did – ranging from the famous gorilla habitats, to becoming home to giant pandas. Now, the Zoo’s animal collection is home to around 1,500 individual animals, making up 220 species.

Zoo Atlanta, believe it or not, marks what I officially consider my 40th zoo on my personal list. With a number of rare species, a brand-new African complex, and the fact that it was the last U.S. Zoo with giant pandas I hadn’t seen yet, this seemed like a pretty good fit. Did it live up to being a solid milestone facility? Let’s find out…

Animal Exhibit Complexes

African Savanna – This is the newest complex to open, which was about 1 ½ months ago, along with the very first attraction most visitors see. It replaced the former “African Plains” section from the late 1980’s, with the only part that sat untouched being the African lion habitat. A trio of brothers resides in an overall average exhibit that is grassy and comes with a pool and tall rock outcrop, but looks to be on the small side. Before reaching the king of the jungle, one will come across the premier component of the new development: a solid habitat for three African elephants (one bull, two cows). It isn’t enormous compared to some others of its kind, but I certainly wouldn’t call it small. What I really enjoy about this elephant habitat is the overall design, incorporating both a naturalistic appeal and modern infrastructure. The elephants are seen through cables at times, and the huge barn, known as the “Zambezi Elephant Center,” is also visible; however, it isn’t distracting in my opinion because of the natural features being mostly front and center. The barriers mainly consist of simulated mudbanks, there is a very nice foliage area in the middle of the exhibit, a couple refreshing pools that must offer great relief from the intense Georgia sun (one of which has a waterfall), and a shade structure. There is even a variation in terrain with the mostly grassy landscape slightly rising towards the back of the enclosure, with small boulders terracing the space. This is certainly one of the stronger African elephant habitats I’ve seen. :) If one were to take the “Tembo Trek,” more up-close viewing of the elephants can be seen, while also coming across a pair of sandy meerkat exhibits (not inhabited yet) that are adequate, a small amphitheater, an interactive wall where elephants can stick their trunks through holes in search of goodies, and finally the “Zambezi Elephant Center,” which has a plethora of information on elephant care and an expansive view into the pachyderm stalls.

Up the hill, there is a mid-sized kori bustard exhibit with some vegetation, followed by a long and narrow savannah yard that will include giraffe, plains zebra, ostrich, and an antelope species all coexisting together eventually. As the area is still new to the animals (they stayed behind-the-scenes while their new digs were built), they are all still being slowly introduced to the new space. I went through this area twice on my visit, seeing a pair of zebras on my first walkthrough, while three giraffes were gracefully strolling through the grass in the afternoon. This exhibit’s primary feature is the “Twiga Terrace,” a giraffe feeding station that has visitors at ground level with the gentle giants. Finally, a pair of warthogs inhabits a good-sized habitat with a couple burrows and plenty of dirt to root around in and mud to wallow. Only one exhibit remains to be opened, and that would be the former elephant enclosure. White rhinos are planned to occupy the space later this year, with renovations currently taking place. Atlanta joins Milwaukee County and Maryland as one of three zoos to open major African complexes in 2019. I haven’t seen Baltimore’s project so I can’t comment, but I enjoyed this complex more than Milwaukee’s Adventure Africa.

Asian Forest – There are a few specific areas in this complex, along with some standalone enclosures:

· Trader’s Alley: Wildlife’s Fading Footprints – This area opened to the public in 2010, and has a unique focus on those that fall victim to wildlife trafficking. For instance, there is a crush bear cage that serves as a grim reminder of bear bile farms in Asia. :( The two feature species here are Sumatran tiger and Malayan sun bear, and they each can be seen starting with an oriental-themed deck that offers some nice views from above. The bear has a lush area to explore and a large wooden structure to clamber around on, while the tiger exhibit is very shady, on a slight incline, and comes with a shallow pool. Both predators can later be seen through metal poles designed like bamboo (nice touch) and expansive viewing windows. The other exhibits include a tanuki (a first for me) in a mid-sized exhibit packed with woodchips, a small rhinoceros hornbill aviary that can be seen through glass, and a tiny pen for impressed tortoise (another first).

· Giant Pandas – Lun Lun and Yang Yang make up the Zoo’s pair of giant pandas, and arrived twenty years ago in 1999. The entry plaza is similar to Memphis’ China complex, but a little more low-key with various Chinese symbols, wooden oriental-designed frames, and a moon gate leading towards the sacred creatures. Up first are the two outdoor habitats, which I feel are average at best. Perhaps it was because they looked like they haven’t been used for a while (likely due to the blistering heat), however they were more reminiscent of modern day bear grottos with a more older-looking appearance and not a whole lot of detail. The indoor section is nearby, and this is where I saw the superstar species. Male Yang Yang was chilling out by the window munching on some bamboo, while the three-year-old twin girls Ya Lun and Xi Lun were next-door, play fighting and wrestling with one another the entire time I watched them. The indoor rooms themselves are decent, with up-close viewing of the nice-sized spaces, branches strung together to encourage climbing behaviors, and a layer of woodchips. I have now seen five giant panda exhibits in my life, and in my opinion, I would put Atlanta’s around the middle of the pack.

· Complex Carnivores – Though the inhabitants for the most part do not fit into the Asian focus, there are a number of intriguing species to be found here. It begins with a lush crested screamer exhibit that is on an incline (Is this the former bush dog enclosure?). Interestingly, there was also signage indicating that kinkajou will be occupying the space as well; I didn’t see any though there was some tape plastered on the windows to indicate the barrier for the animal(s), so introductions must be ongoing. Nearby, a shaded gathering area highlights some of the unique features of predatory species; one of these is a display of skulls belonging to various animals. Exhibits here consist of a smallish but well-furnished cage for a white Indian peacock, a clouded leopard in a roomy exhibit that consists mostly of rockwork and bamboo, and window viewing of the previously mentioned tiger habitat. Lastly, a fossa resides up the hill in a mid-sized exhibit packed with vegetation.

· Other Exhibits – Just after the Zoo’s African areas, the following can be seen: a red panda in a large habitat with a plethora of climbing ladders, huts, and other delights; two giant river otters (previously Asian small-clawed otters) share a mid-sized exhibit with a pool and a decent-sized land area with foliage; a colony of naked mole rats in a building with extensive detailing - from tunnels that kids can crawl through to enter the structure, to the roots built into the ceiling; finally, a very active Komodo dragon in an exhibit that is average in size, but quite lush and comes with viewing windows from two different angles, along with a good-sized indoor room. The primary attraction, however, is the pair of orangutan enclosures. Both Sumatrans and Borneans reside in what are possibly the largest habitats I’ve ever seen for the red apes, with one of them being so huge and extensive, I couldn’t even find any. They aren’t the most naturalistic, but they do offer a wide variety of wooden climbing frames, ropes, and grassy hills to romp around on. The biggest draw, however, is the fact that Atlanta has one of, if not the, biggest groups of orangs in the country. Unfortunately, only three of them (a mom and two sons) were found in the second, smaller exhibit, but I imagine this pair of habitats would be a massive draw if they were more visible and active.

Ford African Rainforest – Probably the centerpiece of the Zoo’s renaissance was the quartet of lowland gorilla habitats that opened up. Willie B., a male ape who was essentially the face of the establishment for many years, was one of the first residents of the complex. He has since passed away in 2000, and there is a memorial of him near one of the exhibits. The great ape enclosures themselves are pretty solid, housing among the largest number of gorillas in the U.S. Like their smaller red relatives, the gorillas have incredibly large hills to roam, with rocky walls, foliage, and slopes that almost blend into the background, creating a fantastic and immersive backdrop. While the large trees were wired off, they provide ample amounts of shade and a rather lush appearance, giving this area a bit more of a believable jungle experience. The indoor conservation center also offers some great relief from the Atlanta heat. Not only is there a large pane of glass looking into one of the gorilla exhibits, but there are loads of educational features focusing on behavior, conservation, and husbandry. There is even an enclosed glass area where an ape can enter and interact with a keeper for health exams – this was a neat feature I don’t think I’ve seen in other gorilla exhibits. If I did have to point out a couple things to improve upon, the viewing angles can sometimes be a bit limited, with gorillas sometimes only seen well from one small area off to the side; the moats and wire (though the foliage probably wouldn’t be around if it weren’t for it) are sometimes quite noticeable; and I feel there could have been a couple more climbing structures, but this is alleviated by the incredibly steep terrain and occasional rocky sections. “Habitat 1” is home to one bachelor troop, and to me is the best of the gorilla habitats; next, an elderly male lives in “Habitat 2,” the smallest of the four; then, a family troop can be found in “Habitat 3;” lastly, the second bachelor troop resides in “Habitat 4.” They might be a little rough around the edges, but on the whole these habitats still hold up well after 30 years, making this a pretty decent gorilla complex.

Nearby, there are two separate areas for smaller primates, both of which are great little gems. :) Up first is “The Living Treehouse,” consisting of a long and tall lemur habitat that can viewed at canopy level – excellent design! Species in here include ring-tailed, black-and-white ruffed, and crowned (including a baby). Across the boardwalk, there is an incredibly lush aviary with a small pond for many species like scarlet ibis. The second section is called “Monkeys of Makoukou,” starting with an enclosure for drill (my first in a very long time) and Wolf’s guenon. This exhibit is packed with natural features, like a rocky wall, palm trees, bushes, woodchips, and more. Next door, Angolan colobus monkey (including a baby that still had a mainly white coat of fur) and Schmidt’s guenon share a habitat that also is extensive in its naturalism. Both of these offer mid-level viewing as well, along with the bonus of glass panels into the drill/guenon habitat.

Scaly Slimy Spectacular – A reptile building unveiled in 2015. This was the biggest surprise of the visit for me, as I was blown away by the level of detail, quality of the exhibitry, the cold-blooded collection, and overall scope of the complex. To begin with, there is a smaller building known as “Georgia Extremes,” an area with state natives and conservation kiosks. Most of the herps are in nicely designed terrariums with different species of turtles, snakes, salamander, and toad; to go along with them, there are also a few good outdoor enclosures for gopher tortoise, eastern box turtle, and a huge pond environment for these turtle species: alligator snapping, Barbour’s map, river cooter, and common slider. After viewing a few well-vegetated large tortoise pens (Aldabra, radiated, and Burmese mountain), the sliding doors open into the main reptile house, which is an interesting design and shape like a half-cylinder. The first half of the building is similar to that of North Carolina’s Desert complex, with more open biome settings and some open-air herp exhibits, while the second half is more like a traditional reptile building with glass-fronted terrariums. The first biome represented is a room based around the rainforests, including a crashing waterfall and lush greenery around the edges; an African slender-snouted crocodile pool is the main focus, while spacious lush terrariums situated on the outer walls house Meller’s chameleon, emerald tree monitor, and prehensile-tailed skink; there is also a cave with a massive reticulated python, anacondas, and poison dart frogs inhabiting equally large habitats. One then emerges into the second biome, which is based around more arid regions of the world, with the winding incline passing through a canyon-like setting. Gila monster, Burmese star tortoise, and pancake tortoise can be found scampering around their rocky, open-air exhibits, while a narrow pool across the trail features fish and turtles (spiny softshell, yellow-blotched map, and common slider) gliding through the water. Some other species in enclosed terrariums close by consist of radiated tortoise, rough knob-tailed gecko, and rough-scaled python. Upon entering another cave, this is where the more traditional layout unfolds, with several terrariums that are overall great in quality with a good amount of space and naturalistic features that cater to each species well. The overall presentation is also excellent, with signage galore that details the importance of herps in the environment and how they are truly a cool group of animals. Finally, the exhibit signs are indeed electronic touch screens, but they label all the animals, are well-organized in terms of indicating which exhibit belongs to which species, and offer a nice array of information on general facts, conservation, and any intriguing features or behaviors. Some of the species list: king cobra, beaded lizard, eyelash viper, red spitting cobra (this terrarium particularly stood out in terms of size), Jamaican iguana, Northern pine snake, caiman lizard, cape cobra, Jamaican boa, and diamondback terrapin (several tiny turtles part of a conservation and release program, each with a number on their shells). Apart from the occasional glare on the glass, I really don’t have any complaints about this section of the Zoo. Of the reptile houses I’ve come across, Fort Worth’s MOLA still reigns as the defending champ, but I’m confident in considering this the second best I’ve seen.

KidZone – This is a huge children’s zoo that takes up almost the entire right side of the facility. To go along with the many activities for younger zoogoers, to be described later, there are several species displayed in a wide variety of exhibitry. The standouts include the “Brazilian Outpost,” a building that consists of a spacious indoor habitat that offers an array of height and ropes, along with a couple enclosed sections that are exposed to the elements for sloth and two tamarin species (golden lion and Geoffrey’s – neither of which I saw). Next, there is a petting zoo area with goats, alpacas (in a mid-sized pen formerly occupied by red kangaroos), sheep, etc. Finally, three large bird enclosures that are seen through wire contain wattled crane, blue crane (another first), and cassowary; apart from the latter, these are fairly lush and of a nice size. Various other species are scattered around this complex as well, mostly in small cages, including: meerkat, sloth, milky eagle owl, African pied crow, guira cuckoo, Azure-winged magpie, Palawan peacock pheasant, superb starling, masked lapwing, and more.

Other Exhibits – Numerous bird exhibits are situated on the Zoo’s center pathway. They include a Chilean flamingo pool by the entrance, two grassy exhibits for a pair of Southern ground hornbills and a pair of lappet-faced vultures (this one has an artificial zebra carcass for a little bit of flair), a series of aviaries sandwiched between the two for several species (Bali mynah, Bruce’s green pigeon, tawny frogmouth, Kenya crested guineafowl, spotted dikkop, and blue-crowned laughing thrush), and a bald eagle aviary that is short in height. A downhill path towards KidZone will take one past several more aviaries as well, most of which are rather basic in appearance with a wood-and-wire design. Species list is: king vulture, green jay, Venezuelan troupial, superb starling, pied imperial pigeon, and Victoria crowned pigeon.

Visitor Experiences

As previously noted, Zoo Atlanta, for being both a major zoo and in a city the size and stature of Atlanta, is surprisingly fairly small at around 40 acres. With that said, however, it is very well laid out. The property is in an oval shape, and is seemingly split into two, with a central pathway dividing the African and Asian complexes mainly on the left, while the KidZone dominates the right side, and the small but pleasant entry plaza is at one of the ends of this oval. The grounds are among the most beautiful I’ve ever seen, with the Zoo being on an incline and pathways weaving gradually up and down hills all around stalks of bamboo that reach up to the clouds; it was all strongly reminiscent of Nashville Zoo.

Most of the Zoo’s non-animal attractions are found in the KidZone, including a splash park, a rock climbing wall, a train, a playground, and a separate building dedicated to education programs and special events. The other attractions around the facility include another play area near the naked mole rats, a large theater called “World of Wild” on the central path that focuses mainly on raptors, and a small amphitheater by the gorillas known as “Amy’s Tree Theater,” where smaller ambassador animals are presented. In terms of amenities, two gift shops are found in the front and back parts of the Zoo; the four primary eateries are within or near the primary exhibit complexes except for KidZone (interestingly none of which are at the entrance); and a couple smaller drink/snack stands are scattered around the property.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: The giant pandas were the biggest draw on my visit. Not only did I get to see the twin girls engaging in what was the most active state I’ve ever seen the black-and-white bears, but I also took on a behind-the-scenes encounter with the species. I went on a guided tour of the giant panda building, meet the older female Lun Lun, and even had an opportunity to feed her! To interact with and see China’s most treasured animal up-close and in such a cool way was truly an unbelievable experience. :D

OVERALL: Few zoos have seen such a turn-around as Atlanta has. As far as I know, none of the animal enclosures are older than the mid 1980’s, similar to Pittsburgh. Zoo Atlanta shines with a number of standout exhibits, an impressive collection of animals, one of the most scenic zoo settings I’ve been through, and a nice variety of other features on offer. I’m glad I chose this Georgia establishment as my 40th, as I was pretty impressed by what I saw for the most part. It may not be among the country’s most elite, but I can surely see it sitting in the next tier, making this is a definite recommendation – especially if you’re a great ape or panda fan!

At the moment, the Zoo is in the middle of the “Grand New View” project. African Savanna was the first phase; the “Savanna Hall,” a significant renovation of the Cyclorama building into a special events facility, will follow in 2020; and a brand-new entrance plaza will be the last component to open.

I am hoping to get the Georgia Aquarium review up soon - stay tuned!

Last edited: 23 Sep 2019
    JVM, Azubaa, MKE Zoo guy and 6 others like this.
  2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for the detailed review! I look forward to your analysis of Georgia Aquarium.

StoppableSan and Milwaukee Man like this.
  3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I visited Zoo Atlanta in 2013 pretty much as collateral damage - I needed to break my flight home from Florida somewhere, and a city with Whale Sharks seemed (and was) a good bet. The zoo was never really a main aim but equally once two days in Atlanta were scheduled in it was never in doubt.

I thoroughly enjoyed it - possibly partly because I was expecting it to be fairly average. (It probably also helped that its mammal collection grew incrementally more interesting to me - firstly after I failed to see Wolf's Guenon at Tampa and Atlanta became my only shot, and then when I discovered Atlanta's Geoffroy's Tamarins, which I had no idea of, in the very last exhibit on my first circuit!)

I visited in the days of the old reptile house and old African area, so the place as a whole wasn't quite as shiny and new as it must be now. It wasn't a zoo of any great surprises (tamarins aside!), nor noticeably of particularly exciting design in a modern context, but it was very reliably good at almost every exhibit.

StoppableSan and Milwaukee Man like this.
  4. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So can both large elephant exhibits be observed by the public? Or is only the "cow exhibit" visible?

[​IMG]

StoppableSan and snowleopard like this.
  5. Milwaukee Man

I appreciate the replies!

@nczoofan Only the cow yard was visible on my visit. It didn’t look like guests could go past the Twiga Terrace as there appeared to be a wood gate leading to the VIP view according to the diagram. On my second time through, I could briefly see the cows Tara and Kelly in a separate area at the end of the day, so that might’ve been it.

nczoofan and StoppableSan like this.
  6. Milwaukee Man

Review of the Georgia Aquarium

Georgia Aquarium | Buy your tickets online and save | Visit Today

The Georgia Aquarium is found in the capital city of Atlanta. In fact it’s very close to two other major city attractions: the World of Coca-Cola museum (which I also visited and really enjoyed) and the National Center for Civil and Human Rights. It opened its doors to the public in November 2005, and for many years after, it was the largest aquarium in the world at a total of 13 acres. Since opening, the Aquarium has become known not only for its many inhabitants, like the beluga whales, manta rays, and, of course, the beloved whale sharks, but also its recent fame in the Animal Planet show “The Aquarium.” The animal collection today numbers at about 700 species and is more than 100,000 specimens strong.

This is an animal facility that seems to just about strike a perfect balance, from its collection of charismatic species and oddities, to the modern details in exhibitry and visitor spaces, to the assortment of additional opportunities on offer. It is this balance and more that contribute to what is a fantastic establishment for all ages. Shall we dive into this aquatic wonder?

Animal Exhibit Complexes

River Scout – This was perhaps my second favorite area of the Aquarium. Not only are most of the exhibits of a high quality, but the attention to detail is marvelous. The first thing that is seen is a waterfall crashing down on artificial rockwork and logs, before encountering an array of aquatic habitats, all of which are very well-designed in terms of naturalism (including various aquatic plants and rockwork), size, and viewing, including some that are open-topped. These include rainbowfish (Boeseman’s, turquoise, and banded), piranha (red-bellied and black spot), turtles (alligator snapping, red-eared slider, yellow-bellied slider, razorback musk, false map), cichlids (humphead, lemon), blue discus (a first for me, and a rather intriguing fish I must say), moony (African, silver), and more. My favorite of these was a pond exhibit containing banded and clouded archerfish that is open-air, spacious, and is an excellent representation of the mangroves. I had the pleasure of attending the keeper chat starring the archerfish, in which he placed tiny shrimp on the glass panel, and the fish shot streams of water in an attempt to catch a snack - it was a neat demo of this natural behavior! The final exhibit is a smaller one for two Asian small-clawed otters, resembling the ruins of an Asian temple that looks cool, but could’ve used more natural features and space. One last note to make here is that all this time walking through the complex, there is actually an enclosure right above visitors’ heads! Every once in a while there would be clear views between the rocks and fake tree trunks, and there sometimes would be the sight of longnose gar, spotted gar, lake sturgeon, alligator gar, shovelnose sturgeon, and more swimming along up above. It is elements of creativity like this that can really make a certain section stand out. :)

Dolphin Coast – The Aquarium’s first expansion, which was completed in early 2011. Anticipation for reaching these playful cetaceans climbs high, as visitors take an escalator to reach the main area, before walking past a series of videos playing snippets of dolphins on circular screens; there are even projections in the ceiling resembling the water surface – nice touch of detail. A hallway filled with aquatic-colored tiles and patterns is passed until finally coming across a pod of bottlenose dolphins. The exhibit tank is not massive, but a decent size, with tan rockwork to decorate the space and provide a varied environment for the dolphins. Further up a ramp, there is a large stadium where “Dolphin Celebration” takes place. This is a great show that combines the glitz and glamor with an educational presentation based on dolphin behavior. I saw the marine mammals perform playful behaviors, dart through their deep show pool, make some epic breaches, and see lots of positive trainer interactions, all while listening to an upbeat soundtrack. The dolphins themselves are cool to see, but the show definitely makes this section worth a look.

Pier 225 – California sea lions are the residents of this 2016 addition, which replaced the former children’s area “Georgia Explorer.” While the primary focus is the show that takes place, there is an exhibit tank seen just before entering the stadium. The exhibit is quite tiny, with a pool, small land area, and fake rock, though a bit of underwater viewing is provided. Through the doorway, visitors grab a seat on the bleachers that overlook a stage area resembling a seaside pier with a deep, narrow pool fronted by glass. The sea lion presentation is nice, spotlighting animal behavior and the recent plights of pinniped strandings, with a constant (and sometimes comical) foreshadowing of an incoming storm. If I did have to pick the least successful complex in the Aquarium, I probably would go with this one. The show was fun, but overall it just seemed that the popular pinnipeds didn't really stick out to their fullest potential.

Ocean Voyager – At a whooping 6.3 million gallons of saltwater :eek:, this is one of the largest aquarium exhibits in the world! This colossal piece of work was designed to be the first, and currently only, holder of whale sharks (another first) outside of Asia. The build-up is excellent, as visitors get to see a sliver of a view in the entrance plaza, followed by numerous small windows set into the walls, and details about the Aquarium’s work with whale sharks in the wild. It’s not until one arrives at the long underwater tunnel that the sense of being under the sea becomes a dominating force. My mind was blown as the planet’s largest fish slowly cruised over my head, along with manta rays (another first), goliath grouper, blacktip reef shark, longcomb sawfish, sandbar shark, and spotted eagle ray (another first). Some of the tunnel is enclosed in rockwork, concealing all sorts of smaller fish in the crevices, which gives off a very authentic feeling of being at the bottom of the ocean. On the other side of the tank, there is a touch pool with Hawaiian cleaner shrimp, an interactive station that highlights the Aquarium’s quality vet care, and even more smaller viewing options into the main exhibit. One of these is a window that curves overhead and viewed through a piece of shipwreck (the installation was among the focuses during one of the TV show’s first episodes). The grand finale is, in my opinion, just about as impressive as the tunnel: a massive window that measures 61 feet wide by 23 feet tall. Having a single large viewing area, not to mention the theater-like seating nearby, is a great idea as it allows for taking in one of Earth’s biggest animal exhibits from one place without getting overwhelmed by all sorts of activity taking place all around. To be able to sit down and watch as gigantic sharks, rays, and fish emerge from behind some rocks or seemingly out of nowhere in the open ocean provided a breathtaking viewing experience. Even the music playing in the background adds to the grand majesty of the exhibit setting while also highlighting the inhabitants within as they glide past gawking visitors. Most of the other species in this magnificent ocean environment include a green sea turtle, Southern stingray, bowmouth guitarfish, cownose ray, zebra shark, tasseled wobbegong, humphead wrasse, porkfish, giant trevally, king angelfish, potato grouper, French angelfish, longfin batfish, French grunt, and tarpon. There are simply not enough words to describe how incredible this tank is. As much as I love Mandalay Bay’s Shipwreck section, I’m afraid it has been dethroned by this masterpiece as my all-time favorite aquarium exhibit complex. :D

Tropical Diver – We begin with a large-sized tank featuring garden eels and a variety of fish, followed by a few lionfish weaving around some kelp in a mid-sized exhibit. Then, a trio of jellyfish species are found in a couple different exhibit designs. Moon jellies float around in a circular tank; Pacific sea nettles occupy the largest one; and Atlantic sea nettle are found in a smaller version of the Pacific exhibit. After walking down a winding hallway, the visitor area opens up to the beautiful “Pacific Barrier Reef,” which is this complex’s best feature. It is a large, colorful coral reef habitat with a wide variety of fish (yellow tang, palette surgeonfish, Bartletts’ anthias, bignose unicornfish, pyramid butterfly fish, blackbar soldierfish, etc.), glass that curves up overhead, and even the occasional tidal wave that comes splashing down, causing a strong current to push the sea critters back. A number of educational sections are to one side, including some kiosks that highlight the different species and the work being done to conserve reefs. Nearby, there are smaller enclosures for big-bellied seahorse, clownfish, among others, and a shipwreck-themed tank housing more species like green moray eel that serves as a nice finale. This is another enjoyable section of the Aquarium, with the only nitpick I’d have being that it is a little too small.

Cold Water Quest – Of the Aquarium’s exhibit complexes, this is the only one that starts on the ground level, then slowly but surely rises to the second floor. It starts with a tall, decent kelp forest exhibit featuring fish like garibaldi and California sheephead, while across the pathway is a touch pool with sea stars (such as bat, ochre, mottled), and a grotto-like mixed-species tank for Japanese spider crabs, spotted ratfish (another first), and I believe longspine snipefish. As visitors wind past an artificial whale skeleton that is pretty cool, several more neat tanks with equally neat species are seen; some of these include giant Pacific octopus (didn’t see), weedy sea dragon, several types of rockfish, and Pacific spiny lumpsucker. The ever-popular southern sea otters are next found in an exhibit that is on the small side, but is nicely designed and can be seen from numerous vantage points, including a couple underwater windows, a shoreline view, and even a training pen. Then, several bird species, including tufted puffin, common murre, pigeon guillemot, and horned puffin, are the features of a very nice habitat (opened in 2018) with a deep pool, a colossal cliff face, and an extensive rocky coast. Next door is an expansive viewing area for African penguins that is split into two. A few of the birds are separated in a little area that has a crawl-through underwater tunnel and a couple pop-up bubbles – I couldn’t resist getting these great up-close views! Then there is the adjacent primary habitat where most of the penguin colony resides, which is a bit small and fairly standard. Last, but certainly not least, five beluga whales and a couple harbor seals share a large habitat that is viewed on both levels. Along with the fact that it’s a solid size, there is a good amount of rockwork that creates all sorts of crevices and water depths, making for a very nice cetacean pool (and the more successful of the two at this Aquarium in my opinion).

NOTE – The only exhibit complex I missed out on was the Aquanaut Adventure, an interactive kid’s area. I considered coming back to it if time allowed, but when I returned later, it was closed off for an event. I did, however, see the touch pool that serves as the first exhibit, containing a ray species that is unfortunately escaping me. According to the website, some of the other species in this section include pancake tortoise, American alligator, mudskipper, chuckwalla, collared lizard, uromastyx, poison dart frogs, and horseshoe crab.

Visitor Experiences

Georgia Aquarium is the largest of its kind to be found in the western hemisphere, and this easy to see from outside. It is a stunning blue building, with a frontal glass structure that is usually present, but I believe it is getting rebuilt as part of “Expansion 2020.” Going inside, the Aquarium is spread out beautifully with a large central gathering area, and the exhibit complexes branching out and looping back to where one started. As the facility opened in 2005, the design and architecture is very sleek and modern, with wall lights that fade into different colors at times, making for an appealing visitor environment.

Somewhere beyond the sea :p, there are a number of additional sources of amusement for visitors. In addition to the dolphin and sea lion presentations, the Aquarium has other animal chats throughout the day, one of which is the previously-described archerfish feeding. On the second floor, there’s a 4-D theater that was hosting two short films centering on dolphins and the movie Happy Feet. Lastly, in terms of amenities, the sole café can be found in between Ocean Voyager and Cold Water Quest, the entrance consists of a few ticket windows outside, and the gift shop is in its own building after walking through an outdoor path that is covered (the latter two are for now until “Expansion 2020” is done I imagine).

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: Being able to get up-close with giant pandas was already a great adventure, but what could possibly top it? How about spending some time with belugas?! After getting an intriguing orientation about the white whales, including conservation work being done and echo-location, I stepped into the frigid water, and stood on a ledge at the edge of the main pool. The trainer explained the various behavioral commands they train the belugas with, and the different personalities and traits of all five occupants. One whale would swim over to the ledge, where I got awesome up-close looks at them, being able to touch them and try my hand at behavioral training. It was a real treat to take part in enriching their minds, and sometimes get a surprise soaking at the same time! I’ve always found cetaceans to be cool, but this experience gave me a brand-new outlook and appreciation of them.

OVERALL: It probably goes without saying, but the Georgia Aquarium is a phenomenal aquatic establishment that simply cannot be missed. Almost every single exhibit is of superb detail, the shows and other attractions are highly entertaining, the layout is great, and it has one of the best aquarium animal collections to be found in the country in my opinion. On top of that, unlike most zoological facilities, this one presents its conservation and educational values in a fascinating way rather than constant signage. Whether it is through the well-done presentations or interactive electronics, the experience is usually engaging and informative throughout. All of these traits add up to what has now become the very best aquarium I have ever come across – I cannot wait to return at some point! :D

Though the Aquarium is already a gigantic, booming attraction, there is even more to come! Currently, it is embarking on an ambitious plan called “Expansion 2020.” This massive project will consist of two areas: an all-new entryway, and a gallery dedicated to sharks. The species list is unconfirmed for now, but I’ve read possibilities like sand tiger, hammerhead, and even tiger shark.

MKE Zoo guy and snowleopard like this.
  7. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Those are fighting words, bring on all the people who prefer Shedd or Monterey. As I have only been to Shedd, I have no opinion. Excellent, in-depth reviews!

Milwaukee Man likes this.
  8. Milwaukee Man

Thanks! Uh-oh, I should've known I may be getting into this kind of discussion :p. I haven't been to Monterey Bay, though I do intend to at some point, so it's possible that California facility could beat out Georgia. As for Shedd, which I've visited twice, don't get me wrong I still think it's a great aquarium, particularly the Oceanarium and Wild Reef complexes, its historical touch, and other intriguing small species. It's just that I found Atlanta to have the more engaging experience in aspects like its presentation (such as the signage and immersive touches) and layout. It does also help that it's home to the phenomenal Ocean Voyager with its star whale sharks.