Join our zoo community

macaws outside

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by sophierout88, 9 May 2007.

1. sophierout88

sophierout88 New Member

I am planning on buying a baby macaw and i was wondering as the parrot will be living in my bedroom im worried about the so called "bird keepers lung", so I was wondering I have a big wooden shed out side and was wondering can they been kept outside in all weather conditions even if I insolate the shed.

2. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

You need A LOT of room for a macaw. They are highly inquisitive and are always looking for things to do. If you get one you'd need to make sure that you're prepared for a big commitment.

They should be alright. Chester keeps it's macaws outside all year. They still have a heated indoor area for when they need it.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You should take note of what 'Mr Hornbill' says. Macaws are extremely demanding as pets- they're really better off flying over the rainforest, or failing that,with their own kind in very large flight aviaries in experienced hands.

Have you considered a Cockatiel?- THAT is a parrotlike species that makes an excellent pet- cheap too.

4. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

remeber you are dealling with a potential 10 thousand dollar bird, that will live for 70 years, my old boss had 4 (grand total of 50 grand), his were in alrge outdoor aivaries, the animals will need some access to outdoors.

keeping them confined inside is exactly the same as a 4yr old in side, they will destroy everything uinless prop trained

as for the lung conditions, more common with household budgies, its a mite that causes irritation, my dad had it and had surgury to fix him up (water on lungs- hes a smoker to so that didnt help), if you sourse your bird from a reputable breeder, and keep it in hygenic environmen, you should have no worries

Do NOT CONFINE

5. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I didn't get my higher school certificate. And I'm just a dumb coppa, but shouldn't 4 macaws at 10 grand each equal 40 grand or are they 10 grand each before GST..:)

6. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

are you a policeman boof?

a tatooed policeman named boof! ;)

7. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

yep! just new to the job.

8. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

wow
    good career choice.
    i know macaws are alot more cheaper in the uk then here in australia, but its not jus tthe $ sid eof thing that worries me. as zoo boy pointed out, a macaw is a long-term investment in an intelligent bird. maybe if youre serious this forum isnt the best place for research?

9. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Grantsmb , Mr Hornbill , Zooboy and others .
    The fact that you are asking questions like this suggests that another species of parrot would be more suitable for you at this stage .
    Even if you built a large aviary complete witrh central heating , any intelligent bird that gets bored starts to get destructive , and gets noisy .
    And I mean REALLY NOISY !!!!!!

I dont know how much you actually know about having parrots as a pet , but a bedroom is not a suitable home for a macaw ! I assume that there are bird clubs in the UK that you can get more detailed information about keeping parrots --- please do your research BEFORE obtaining your bird , and not afterwards .
    I am not a bird expert at all , but my personal (past) experience with parrot species ( budgies , cockatiels , peach face lovebirds ) made me grateful that I had those , and not some large macaw .
    Baby macaws will grow into large ones !!

10. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

sorry boof, as a rought they are 10 grand, bu then move to dif species and you will apy a bomb

green and golds, scarlets, blue and golds, all diff, one more 'rare' than the next