Join our zoo community

Major cities WITHOUT zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by kiang, 21 Oct 2008.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Istanbul has a zoo

2. Nikola Chavkosk

Brussels I don't know for sure, but it seems that there is not a big zoo in or very near Brussels...

3. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Planckendael Zoo <20 km (12 mi) from Brussels.
    Antwerp Zoo <50 km (30 mi) from Brussels.
    Pairi Daiza <50 km (30 mi) from Brussels.

4. Nikola Chavkosk

Yeah I know for Antwerp zoo distance from Brussels,
    Never heard about Planckendael zoo though, but it can be considered a Brussels's zoo owning to proximity

5. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

There used to be a zoo in Brussels that closed more than 130 years ago.

The site of the zoo is now occupied by a public park called Parc Leopold where, all these years later, the original Brussels Zoo's entrance gates still stand complete with the inscription “Jardin Royal de Zoologie”

6. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

It's probably being a little greedy, but what about Cambridge/Peterborough? There are three lovely small zoos nearby (Hamerton, Linton and Shepreth), and four major collections within an hour or so's drive (Whipsnade, Colchester, Banham and Woburn).
    According to snowleopard's suggestion that modern zoos tend to be placed in tourist regions rather than city centres, Cambridge would be perfect as one of the most visited places in the UK. Also, the population is currently growing rapidly along with the local economy which means new families looking to spend money on days out.
    A YWP-style zoo would go down a treat I think. Maybe with an emphasis on wetland/marsh/fen habitat species?

On a less daydreamy note do people think the success of YWP will inspire imitators in zoo-deprived areas? Or is that an effect we should already have seen if it was going to happen?

7. Nikola Chavkosk

Thank you for information, never heard/read this

8. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I went ahead and merged the two threads on this topic to clean things up a bit.

9. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

North Carolina only has one major zoological institution, in the rural center of the state (Asheboro). This leaves all of NC's major urban areas without zoos: Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and Fayetteville. It would make sense if it were a small state; however, the distance from some of these cities to Asheboro, combined with the amount of time it takes just to walk around the enormous place and the lack of other activities in the area, seems pretty discouraging for anyone wanting to take their kids or family out there.

Nevada is another zoo-screwed state; no noteworthy facilities in Reno or Las Vegas.

11. Coelacanth18

Just read this and did the googling. Very good news.

12. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hong Kong did not have enough land.The population is increased and population density is high.There is no enough space to make a zoo.

Hong Kong now only have Ocean Park,which is mainly a amusement park, and the HKZBG,which is a bunch of monkeys and birds in barren cages(they really need to improve).There is still wildlife sanctuary (Kadoorie Farm) and two small aviary.

But,there is zoo in mainland china, Shenzhen , Guangzhou ,and Chimelong Zoo all took ~2-3 hours to get.(Chimelong Zoo is very good).Shenzhen zoo just took 30-45 minutes to get although it is not good)

13. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very good points indeed. However, the Animal Ark in Reno seems to be a good facility.

14. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Greensboro has an AZA zoo at the Greensboro Science Museum. Its not huge but it is a zoo. It should probably have a larger one though. In terms of needing a zoo they all should probably.

I'm not sure if some of these have been mentioned as I didn't read all the posts, but...

• Spokane, WA only has Cat Tails, which isn't a proper zoo.
    • Las Vegas needs one as people have mentioned.
    • Austin, TX has two small, non-AZA zoos and is also not to far from San Antonio but still for the size it is should probably have one.

15. Coelacanth18

I was aware of the GSM, which I agree is a zoo but I feel like the city is large enough to support something bigger. Of all of those cities though, Greensboro is the closest to NCZ (only 30 minutes) so that setup actually makes quite a lot of sense.

I agree with all of those cities. Especially Austin, which is somewhat close to San Antonio, but is a large and growing city and could support one easily.

Another place that seems like a good location would be the Southeast Coast. Wilmington, Charleston, and Savannah are all decently-sized, but no major zoos on the coast between Norfolk and Jacksonville.

16. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I am pretty surprised Austin has no zoo. Plus, I'm pretty sure Austin has more money than SA so they could potentially make a better one, yes?

17. NSU42

This is just looking through Wikipedia's lists of zoos and then largest cities, but what about:

1. Bakersfield, CA - There is the California Living Museum, which is non-AZA, but an area of nearly 400,000 could surely support a larger, proper zoo.
    2. Lexington, KY - Its a little over an hour away from Louisville, but that is the only zoo in the state, could definitely use a second.
    3. Laredo, TX - Not much for a couple hours.
    4. Lubbock, TX - Another not much in the area.
    5. Reno, NV - Not much for zoos in the state of Nevada. There is Sierra Safari Zoo, but I don't know much about this place.

* All of those cities are within the top 100 largest in the U.S.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2016
  18. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You accidentally typed the state code for Utah (UT). I think you meant to type Reno, NV.

Sierra Safari Zoo appears to be very shady indeed. They also have Animal Ark which is quite a nice facility I believe. However it is a rescue center primarily and does not have a really large variety of animals.

19. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I was a kid, I went to Lubbock once or twice a year to visit grandma and I always wondered why it didn't have a zoo.

20. NSU42

Well that's embarrassing, I should have probably caught that as a future history teacher haha. Nice catch! I fixed it. I was unaware of Animal Ark, but yes it doesn't seem very large.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2016