Join our zoo community

Make An Exhibit Based On An Exhibit In Real Life

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by TheZooMan10, 7 Jul 2020.

1. TheZooMan10

TheZooMan10 Well-Known Member

Here is how it works:
    I am going to give you an exhibit in real life and you have to make an exhibit based on it.
    It must have the same theme as the exhibit such as a rainforest in a continent or the African Savanna.
    You have to choose a feature and at least three species that are in the exhibit.
    Example:I am given Asia Quest at the Columbus Zoo so I have to make it Asian themed so I give it a building for pachyderms and it has Asian Elephants,Amur Tigers,and Sloth Bears.
    All exhibits must have at least five species.
    Enjoy!

2. Nathan S

Nathan S Well-Known Member

Can I have one

3. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

May I have one too

4. TheZooMan10

Big Cat Falls at the Philadelphia Zoo.
    Amazon and Beyond at Zoo Miami.

5. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm interested. I'll take an exhibit.

6. Austin the Sengi

Can I have a different exhibit.I am not familiar with Zoo Miami if that’s ok

7. TheZooMan10

Canadian Domain at the Toranto Zoo.
    Perfectly Okay.How about Asian Gardens at ZooTampa.

8. Austin the Sengi

Sure

TheZooMan10 likes this.
  9. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I'm going too.

10. TheZooMan10

Indo-Malaya at the Toronto Zoo

11. Austin the Sengi

Asian Domain:

A subtle reference to Zoo Tampa at Lowry Park’s former name for the zoo’s Asian exhibit.It is a truly unique exhibit for which it is truly a majesty to admire.You enter the exhibit by walking on a boardwalk just like what the real exhibit does in their exhibit along with themed overhanging roof structures above your head,(again just what Zoo Tampa does in real life).Here you come across a well-planted riverbed area with half of the exhibit formed by a semi-wide moat allows visitors to look out at the exhibit for 3.2.0 ASCOs and 0.1.2 North Sulawesi babirusa,(the mix between the two worked in the past in other zoos so why not).After passing by the first habitat,the next habitat you come across is a identical twin of sorts of the first habitat you just saw but is somewhat smaller in size.Here you can expect to find some 3.2.0 Gharials and 2 Giant Asian pond turtles.After passing by the two habitats on both sides of the boardwalk,(with the otters/babirusas to the right with the gharials/turtles on the left).You manage to enter the forests on which you come across as bamboo and other foliage surround both sides of the boardwalk.Soon you turn to the right and just up ahead you come across a much larger version of the first two habitats for which it is the largest in the exhibit.Here the exhibit is a rotational exhibit so you will never know on who you will come across every time you visit.It is here that 1.0.0 Malayan tapir,0.2.0 Indian crested porcupine and 1.1.4 ASCOs rotate between each other through hidden tunnels and other behind-the-scenes passages all hidden away from the general public.After passing the by the rotational exhibit,you soon come across a medium-sized,thin-mesh aviary for 1.1.0 Rhinoceros hornbills while walking further down the boardwalk.You come across a large multi-story,thin-mesh cage for 2.3.1 Silvery Langurs comes into view..After passing by the langurs you come across and enter a well-planted,walkthrough aviary for which you are immersed into.Here is the species list.

Species list(Asian Domain aviary):

2.3.0 Javan pond heron,
    3.3.0 Masked lapwing,
    3.3.0 Sunda teal,
    2.3.0 Ambonia pond turtle,
    1.2.0 Reeve’s muntjac
    and
    3.3.0 Purple-tailed imperial pigeon.

After exiting the walkthrough aviary,you return to the secondary boardwalk and come across a small thin-mesh aviary for 1.1.0 Prevost’s squirrels can be found.After passing by the squirrels,you continue down the path and soon you come across a small grassy open habitat with some foliage here and there,not to mention a good sized pool for swimming and a thin-mesh roof to house a single 1.0.0 Asian water monitor.Walking on past the monitor exhibit,You continue towards a well-planted grotto with various climbing structures around the habitat is for where visitors looking out through a glass panel can look over the zoo’s 1.0.0 Malayan sun bears and 1.1.0 Binturongs(Again it worked at other zoos in the past so why not).After passing by the bears and binturongs,the boardwalk makes a second and final decline before you and other visitors walk past under a twin of the entry sign along with a large,thin-mesh aviary for 1.1.0 Woolly-necked storks before leaving the Asian Domain and exiting the exhibit.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2020
  12. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

What's that?

13. grevy's zebra

grevy's zebra Well-Known Member

I’ll have one.

14. Austin the Sengi

Asian Small-Clawed Otters

15. TheZooMan10

Chimpanzee Forest at the Maryland Zoo.
    @Austin the Sengi great job and I like how you made some of it the same and made some of it different!I am a little surprised to see animals like tigers and leopards left out.Will these animals be featured somewhere else in the zoo?But still,very good!Next up for you is Safari Africa at ZooTampa

16. Austin the Sengi

Well I did wanted to add the leopards and tigers into the exhibit,but I thought that I would be best to let some of the more lesser-known animals take the spotlight in the exhibit.

Also there will be a part 2/Expansion of Asian Domain so if that’s alright I will not accept Safari Africa for my next project.Thank you for your understanding..

17. Austin the Sengi

What does that have to do with anything?

18. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm down for that.

Canadian Widerness

The exhibit is designed like a loop around a natural waterfowl pond like the one in Toronto's exhibit. Coming into the exhibit, the first animals people see will be 1.1 Common raccoons in a log-filled enclosure. 1.1 Wolverine will inhabit a forested enclosure with a burrow for rest nearby. As the trail starts to loop around the pond, aviaries for 1.1 Bald eagle, 1.1 Great horned owl and 1.1 American crow are present, each one allowing adequate flying area. Large paddocks for 1.2 Moose and 2.6 Wood bison are next up, with the bison having slightly less treed area. The looped area ends with two large enclosures for the large carnivores of the region: 1.1 Puma and 1.1 Grizzly bear, in addition to a lookout for the pond. As the trail leads back to the entrance, mountainlike enclosures for 2.4 Bighorn sheep and 2.4 Rocky Mountain goat are present. The final enclosure in the loop is a forested, netted enclosure for 1.1 Canada lynx.

Species list for waterfowl pond:
    1.1 American beaver (in a sectioned-off area)
    1.1 North American river otter (in a sectioned-off area)
    1.1 Trumpeter swan
    2.2 Mallard
    + any native birds that decide to come (signage will still be present for them)

I'm up for another one, preferably not from my home zoo.

19. grevy's zebra

grevy's zebra Well-Known Member

Chimp Canopies

A name referring to the top layer of the forest, where chimps spend their time.

When walking in, a room with climbing frames and glass is on one side of you, and a pocket with underwater viewing is on the other. The glass room is home to Black and White Colobus Monkys, and the other a large male Nile Crocodile, named Tick Tock. Along with the monkeys, the elephant related Rock Hyrax jump around and onto the frames low to the ground. Further along, and a terrarium for Panamanian Golden Frogs are on the right, and further, a large, long glass panel shows a view into the Western Chimpanzee’s night room. It has ropes, hammocks, and 2 baby chimps! The other side is a rotating room of Ring Tailed Lemurs, Red Ruffed Lemurs, and Golden Bamboo Lemurs. Once out of the building, a large mesh building attached to the side of the Chimp Canopies gives a large outdoor home for their Chimpanzees.

20. Austin the Sengi

Asian Domain (Part 2):

After some reimagining and reworkings on the boardwalk pathway for quite sometime now.The exhibit is now open again and we can’t wait to tell you of what happened during the temporary closure.Here are the updates to the Asian Domain.

Now after passing by the langur exhibit there is a fork in the road on where you will go towards next.Here you can turn to the left towards the new expansion or you can turn to the right to the walkthrough aviary for which we had already discussed before.And because of this we decide to turn to the left path and onto more bamboo forest for quite some time before exiting the boardwalk and onto some pathway.Here you walk towards the first habitat for which is a small thin-mesh aviary home to 2.2.0 White-crested laughing thrush as you continue your journey through the bamboo that now surrounds both sides of the boardwalk path.Here a larger version of the first aviary we just saw can be found,but this time it is home to 1.1.0 Wreathed hornbills.After the hornbills you come across a large Indonesian themed long-house which also makes up a education area,plus as a reptile house.Seven terrariums with three on the right side and four on the right are the respective homes for each of these species.

Species list (Reptile long-house):

1.1.0 Tentacled snake,
    4.4.0 Bornean eared frog,
    3.2.0 Crocodile lizard,
    1.0.0 Red-tailed green rat snake,
    3.2.0 Black-breasted leaf turtle,
    4.3.0 Malaysian walking leaf
    and
    2.2.0 Giant Asian toad.

Also in the longhouse,visitors can look out a large glass window for where on the other side is a large thin-mesh cage for a species already kept at Zoo Tampa in real life.Here amongst the many climbing structures,artificial and real trees and various foliage is where the zoos 1.1.0 Clouded leopards can be found(if you can spot them of course).Soon you begin to exit the longhouse and eventually the boardwalk turns slightly to the right and on the left side of the boardwalk for where you approach to is a large pen with a Indonesian-themed shade structure to the right of the exhibit along with various foliage here and there.It is here that the zoos breeding herd of 1.2.1 Lowland Anoa (Again another species that Zoo Tampa has kept in real life) can be seen.Before the expansion,the Anoas would have been found in the rotational exhibit along with the otters,tapirs and porcupines for which we had already discussed before until very recently when the male and our females were eventually moved to their current exhibit and with one of our females have had since produced a female calf making it the first anoa birth at our zoo so far.After passing by the anoa exhibit your path continues to walk past some more bamboo on both sides of the boardwalk until eventually your path has rejoined to the secondary boardwalk along with the already mentioned aviary boardwalk and finish the exhibit the same way we have already discussed in my previous post...

And there you have it the Asian Domain is now officially complete.I hope you guys have enjoyed on what I have posted on this forum and I hope to be around whenever I have the time for it...

Also I will not take anymore exhibits if that’s ok with you guys...

Yi Qi and TheZooMan10 like this.