Join our zoo community

Australia Zoo Man Bitten by Tiger at Australia Zoo

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Tygo, 26 Nov 2013.

1. Tygo

Tygo Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

One word. Stupid.

3. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Source: https://www.facebook.com/AustraliaZoo/posts/10152035144032432

4. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Thankfully, according to the news, the man is going to be ok.

5. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Care to explain?

Hix

6. Jabiru96

Handling tigers, or carnivores of any sort, in free contact is bound to end in someone getting hurt, whether it be a bitten finger or even worse (such as what happened in Zion). I don't think it is necessary for Australia Zoo and Dreamworld to exhibit tigers in free contact as a conservation message can just as easily be achieved without the need to be in with tigers, making them climb trees, or jump, or lick milk from a carton.

But hey, that is just my opinion.

7. FriendOfTheZoo

FriendOfTheZoo Well-Known Member

Having volunteered at the zoo, and still in contact with many who work there, I have been told they were recording something for BBC channel, and the handler who was attacked was wearing a suit made of parachute material, which the tigers get VERY playful when their handlers wear it. The Sumatran was very much in full play mode.

Apparently the handler also had a go-pro camera on his head when the attack happened. I know it's not a laughing matter, but that piece of info did make me smirk a little.

8. FriendOfTheZoo

Here's a pic of a handler (not sure if the one bitten today) wearing the parachute suit thing:

[​IMG]

9. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Sounds like an over zealous tiger rather than a tiger attack.

10. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Hopefully the handler is okay and everything ends well, but I do have to say that the headline is one of the least surprising that I will encounter this week. Whether it occurs next month or 20 years from now, one thing for certain is that at some point there is going to be a much more dangerous situation happening between a tiger and a human if Australia Zoo perseveres with free contact. The law of averages surely states that only so much foolishness can take place before a tragedy occurs.

11. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

That last statement is quite correct - it is your opinion. And you are entitled to your opinion. And you can express that opinion in forums such as this.

Just be aware that others may have a completely different viewpoint, and in some cases may take offence if you are insensitive.

Having said that, you justified your viewpoint well.

:p

Hix

12. FriendOfTheZoo

I found out that it was one of the male tigers, but haven't found out if it was Ranu, Juma or Bashii.

There's a fair few pics here, if anyone knows one tigers stripes from the others: No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

13. FriendOfTheZoo

14. Rough

Rough Well-Known Member

Despite opinions on free contact and protected contact, I think we should look at the outstanding actions of the staff in the enclosure who came to Dave's aid. The first keeper seen acting is Mark who is the former head of carnivores at Melbourne Zoo, having worked with him in the past I know him to be a capable and expert keeper. I think the response to the incident does well to show that in the event of an accident keepers know their role and they protected the injured keeper and prevented further harm. Well done to the Australia Zoo team on acting appropriately and swiftly.

15. Jabiru96

Yes, but if they did not handle tigers in free contact, they would not need to witness, be involved in, or have a plan for such incidents. I might be sounding a bit harsh but it doesn't seem to make sense to me why they really need to be in the enclosure with the tigers (well actually it does, being one of only two places in the country to do so=money).

But I will leave it at that.

16. ptig

ptig Well-Known Member

Money

Hey Jabiru, Do you know which two zoos in Australia do the most for in-situ conservation?

17. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

According to this story: Tiger 'mistook' handler for toy in mauling | Stuff.co.nz the tiger involved was Charlie. The story also mentions that the unusual outfit worn by the handler may have been a factor.

18. Hevden

Hevden Well-Known Member

I am sure the keeper probably did nothing different than normal (except maybe the suit?) and again its always a risk entering an enclosure with an animal hand reared or not as they are still a wild animal and will always have that instinct? I assume the tiger was moved from the area but am i to assume has not been destroyed due to this unfortunate accident?

19. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I think the tiger was in the Crocosseum, a large stadium/arena, where presentations with a variety of species (including crocodiles and tigers) are done. The incident occurred after a show had finished.

The tiger has not been destroyed, and will continue to live at Australia Zoo.

20. ptig

ptig Well-Known Member

tiger incident

This happened at the tiger display at the Tiger Temple. Of course there are not going to be any animals 'put down'