Join our zoo community

Mangrove animals

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Canihelpyou?, 18 Jun 2018.

1. Canihelpyou?

Canihelpyou? Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What are some great animals native to mangroves that will make a great addition to a mangrove exhibit? Here are some examples:
    - Dough crab
    - Dusky leaf monkey
    - Manatee
    - Sailfin dragon
    - Mudskipper

More animals are more then welcome :)

2. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

What is a "dough crab"?

Anyway, a mangrove exhibit is not a mangrove exhibit without mudskippers and fiddler crabs. These two are the essentials of any mangrove.

Additionally, a butterfly mud puddle zone would be great, with loads of big pierids and swallowtails. Most mangrove inhabitats are just adaptable species not specific to mangroves: small birds and arboreal mammals for the land side, and fishes and crocs from the sea side...

3. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m not sure if this is feasible or not, but Proboscis Monkeys would be a popular animal.

4. Canihelpyou?

Sorry i meant horseshoe crab

5. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Surely archerfish are also included as a must!

animal_expert01 and Canihelpyou? like this.
  6. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For a South American themed mangrove Four-eyed fish (Anableps) would be good. Other brackish water fish would include Sailfin Molly and some other livebearers, Green and Orange Chromides from around the Indian ocean would be good as well.

7. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

White-collared Kingfisher

8. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For a Floridian mangrove, some junnevile Queen Angelfish would be great.

9. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Saltwater Crocodile (though not multi species obviously)
    Wood Stork
    Reddish Egret
    Diamondback Terrapin
    Crab-eating Macaque

Birdsage and FBBird like this.
  10. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Mangrove monitor and mangrove snake

11. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The most spectacular species I've seen in mangroves were blacktip sharks, so these would be great in a mangrove exhibit.

Fiddler crabs are almost a must and depending of the theme (New World or Old World so are mudskippers or four-eyed fish.

Raccoons and bulldog bats would be nice for a Central American themed exhibit, next to manatees, crocodiles and water birds like roseate spoonbills.

12. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

don't forget the mangroves themselves; not really a proper mangrove exhibit without discussing the wondrous biology of the actual trees!

jayjds2 likes this.
  13. Canihelpyou?

Ofcourse! The plants are the most important part!

14. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are many species living in the mangroves forests around the world

If you are planning an exhibits/exhibitions you can choose from different presentation styles

Do you wanna display the habitat as ecosystem or do you want sgow one spefic place

The different housing styles include aquariums paludariums terrariums and aviarie

Most of the Aquariums have paludariums, half water half air with origanl real trees or fake trees for archer and four eyed fish, mudskippers and crabs

Some Birdparks and zoos have walk trought aviaries with fishes in little tied ponds visible from.above and sometimes through glass windows from the side

Than there walkable mangroves gouses that are sadly quiet rare like the one in arnhem

A short overview
    mammals
    some monkey species like proboscis monkey, grivets, blue monkeys, longtailed macaque and white shoulder capuchins
    otter and mangoose
    pig and deer species as well
    tigers and other smaller cat species

birds
    storks heron waddy birds ibis spoonbill and many singing birds call the mangroves their home like starlings tailor birds silver eyes and munias

reptiles
    crocodiles geckos lizards agamas dailfin dragon and many many monitors species
    land and water turtle species
    snakes

amphibian
    only freshwater parts

fish
    fresh brackish and saltwater

invertebrates
    especially crustaceans show a big spectrum from different types of of crabs land and water species (some quiet big and a lot of smaller ones), crayfish and lobster, hermit crabs, shrimp

sorry if this is not into the deep

but if you would have a special idea it would have more details

Canihelpyou? likes this.
  15. Canihelpyou?

Thank you! These are some nice species. And yes i was going for a green house like the one in Arnhem. Im not a big fan of it, because i see some missed oppurunities.

BenFoxster likes this.
  16. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What is wrong then according to you then? Until now I have heard basically only positive reactions on it.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2018
    BenFoxster likes this.
  17. Canihelpyou?

Really? Ive heard quite Some negative things. In all honestly, its a great exhibit. Its really Nice, but i dont like the South America theme. My personal opinion is that Asian mangroves have "better" animals. I missed the mudskippers, archerfish and other animals Shown in the old mangrove. It feels very empty. And ofcourse a bunch of other things. Its not bad by far, but i would like it more different.

BenFoxster likes this.
  18. Varanus

Varanus Active Member

The Florida Aquarium has a Florida mangrove ecosystem-based area in their aviary, so looking at the species housed there could help for inspiration, though you seem to be going more for Asian mangroves.

19. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ihave to agree on @Canihelpyou? the reactions were not only good

I guess it depends on the vistors preferences, but for someone like me, who prefers educational displays and specific exhibits/exhibitions over the classy mainstream interests the closing of the old house was a loss

it had avery nice design, when one thinks of its history as test house for bush and therefoewas not originally planned as mangrove house

There were more educational boards in the old one as well

and the list of species included more rare species that were presented in a way like no other facility had

Several species hatched very succesfull that are gone by now

In general the old house felt more like a true mangrove forest with better species

The first thought I had was they copied the butterfly house from Blijdorp, of which I wasn't a fan either since round shapes are normally avoid (they may irritate the species) and most often a waste of space, but somehow the original went out to better than expected but the inspired one did not that well

From the view point of species it is not sustainable to keep species that are not reguarly breed in captivity and are therefor of wild origin

The Arnhem mangrove house is not bad at all but compared to the old house which set standards (especially from the viewpoint of a zoo enthusiast, who paid a lot of time studying zoological architectural and educational systems) the house feels like a down grading

Canihelpyou? likes this.
  20. Canihelpyou?

Couldnt agree more.