Join our zoo community

Manitowoc Lincoln Park Zoo Manitowoc Lincoln Park Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by Wild wolverine, 6 Apr 2015.

1. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This 20 acres free zoo in Manitowoc, Wisconsin is my personal favorite small zoo. A few ZooChatters including myself have posted pictures in the Manitowoc Lincoln Park Zoo Gallery.

2. Wild wolverine

My Review of the Manitowoc Zoo

I have visited the Manitowoc Lincoln Park Zoo two times (once in summer 2013, and once in summer 2014) and I enjoyed myself both times.
    After turing onto the road that the zoo is on, you drive down what seems to be an endless road of lush, green forest before reaching the zoo's tiny "parking lot." Parking wasn't bad, however, because the zoo is small in size and not very well-known outside the area.
    The first thing you see when entering the zoo is the wolf exhibit to your left, a pathway to the right, and a black-tailed prairie dog exhibit, Education Center and other pathway straight ahead.
    Going down the forested, shady path on the right, the first exhibit you see is the snow leopard. Renovated in spring/summer 2014 to have heated rocks and better sod/grass. It's a decently sized exhibit but unfortunately, not a lot of high or climbing opportunity for the snow leopards other than a stack of heated rocks probably about 4ft tall. The cougar exhibit was also renovated in 2014, and a viewing log was added for close viewing of the cougars. Two 1 year old cubs live in the exhibit, however, I did not see them on either of my visits. The cougar exhibit is similar to the snow leopard exhibit in size and in lack of climbing opportunities but still an overall nice exhibit. Next is a rather surprising animal exhibit; the Asiatic black bear. According to snowleopard's review of the zoo from his trip in summer 2014, he believes less than 10 zoos in the country still exhibit Asiatic black bears. I second that, as the Manitowoc Lincoln Park Zoo is the only zoo I know of besides Milwaukee County Zoo that exhibits the species. The exhibit itself is nice, spacious, with a wooden climbing structure and small pool for the bears. Three medium sized aviaries past the bear exhibit; one housing bald eagles, one for red-tailed hawks, and one for a great horned owl. All are similar in design and size, using the trees and forest of the area to their advantage, with the exception of the owl aviary having a makeshift waterfall (a plastic tube on a angle with water trickling down) . The aviaries are quite high, but not anything to marvel over.
    The path goes out of the forested area when you get to a pheasantry with three exhibits that all held silver pheasants when I visited. There is a large salmon rearing pond that has countless number of salmon, however it was closed off during my 2014 visit. Guests can walk up to it and see the fish on a screen (there must be a camera in the water connected to it.)
    After the pheasantry there is a pygmy goat exhibit that isn't really anything special, followed by a very large dall sheep and waterfowl exhibit. The exhibit has potential but has more room than it's using. There is a small pond for the waterfowl, and a small pile of boulders for the sheep to climb. Across from the dall sheep exhibit, a sandhill crane exhibit that is alright. It is hard to see the cranes though, because you have to stand quite far back because of a small stream, plus the tall cattails that grow along the stream make most of the crane exhibit a challenge to view. A medium sized white-tailed deer exhibit is next to the cranes that besides being very long and narrow is nothing new or exciting. Across from the deer exhibit is a massive American Bison exhibit. Two bison occupy the spacious enclosure.
    Up a hill and to the right is the Education Center. This building has several species of mostly reptiles and amphibians, as well as a few birds. A very nice building, but I am reminded of a pet store because the animals are kept in tanks that you would see animals being held in at a pet store. The highlight of the building is the African spurred tortoise exhibit, with one of the zoo's star animals, Torte the tortoise.
    Outside the building is the prairie dog exhibit that has nothing special other than a shade structure over it that was added in 2012 or 2013. Across the pathway is the wolf exhibit. It's decent in size but has a lot of tall grass. Behind the wolf exhibit and Education Center is the Wildlife Observation Platform. From the platform you can see the Little Manitowoc River and the wildlife (most likely ducks) that lives around it. Next you walk down a path that I can only guess that many, many people skip over mainly because it doesn't seem like anything is there. However, the Big Red Barn, built in 2000, is at the very end of the long, gravel path behind a large playground for children. The Big Red Barn is open in summers and exhibits basic farm animals; goats, sheep, cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, and rabbits in rather small pens. The animals do have access to a small concrete outdoor pen, one pen for each species, giving them a little bit more room.
    Overall, I would give this zoo a 5/10 stars, but keep in mind it is a small, non-profit organization that relies purely on donations from the public. It is a nice, clean zoo with paved walkways (except the path to the Big Red Barn) and friendly staff. If I had one complaint though, the exhibits are fenced with chain-link fencing, making it VERY hard to photograph the animals inside in focus. It is possible, it has been done, but the fences make it much more difficult than the glass and moats than I'm used to in Milwaukee :rolleyes:
    It is definitely on my top 10 list of zoos that I've visited, and worth a trip. While there aren't any outstanding, state of the art exhibits, the exhibits aren't out-dated either.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2015
  3. Wild wolverine

It is with a very heavy heart for the Manitowoc Lincoln Park Zoo staff to announce the passing of Michu, the snow leopard. The vet and the MLPZ staff had to make the very difficult decision to humanely euthanize him due to an invasive tumor.
    Michu came to MLPZ with his brother Milo in 2000 from Milwaukee County Zoo. Just like many siblings, they did not get along, so Milo was transferred out and Michu remained at the MLPZ for 15 years. We never expected to have him this long and we were honored to have such a magnificent animal in our care. Michu will be greatly missed. :(

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. Wild wolverine

The 1 year old cougars (Syd and Willow) have a new platform where they can be high up off the ground, and even see the nearby bison!

Two silver pheasant chicks hatched recently.

5. Wild wolverine

Starting today, the Manitowoc Lincoln Park Zoo is on its summer hours. The zoo will be open daily from 7am-7pm until Labor Day. The Big Red Barn is open for the summer from 10am-6pm. Education Center hours for the summer are 10am-5pm.

6. Wild wolverine

Update: The zoo is hoping to acquire a Canada Lynx to replace Michu, the 18 year old snow leopard that died at the end of April.

7. Wild wolverine

The pygmy goats have a new climbing structure. This gives their exhibit a much less empty look, and gives the goats something to run and jump around on. :)

8. Wild wolverine

Two Canadian Lynxes have arrived at the zoo to replace Michu, the snow leopard who died back in April. They will be off exhibit for a while getting use to their new home and new keepers. But they are nameless, so I'm assuming that they are young.

9. Wild wolverine

More info on the two new lynxes: Both are boys and they are brothers. They came from the Minnesota Zoo. One seems to be the curious one, while the other is a bit shy. The zoo is still taking name suggestions on its Facebook Page.
    I voted for Jasper and Ollie. Hoping that they pick at least 1 of those suggestions :)

10. Wild wolverine

The two new lynx have been named after two Minnesota counties (they are from Minnesota) Grant and Carver. I hope to get to the zoo within the next year or so to see them.

11. Wild wolverine

The zoo's new lynx brothers, Grant and Carver, are out on exhibit now. Grant is much more of an adventurer/explorer, whereas Carver is shy and has not come out of their indoor enclosure much yet.

12. Wild wolverine

Good news! The tortoise is getting a new and much larger exhibit soon! The zoo is in the process of building an exhibit for him, much better than the closet exhibit he is in now.

13. Wild wolverine

14. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Some Updates from my visit today:

• The new White-Tailed Deer exhibit is finally finished! There is a viewing platform and all sorts of signs about deer and the dangers of CWD.
    • The Education & Animal Care building was redone! Tort the African Spurred Tortoise had a nice roomy new exhibit! The inverts all got big new terrariums, and there is now a Painted Buttonquail exhibit underneath them. The Ball Python has more plants, and the Three-Toed Box Turtles got a larger exhibit. Exhibit were added for Corn Snake and DeKay's Brown Snake (a new one for me. They look cool.) A terrarium was also added for a young Bearded Dragon (although one still remains with the Russian Tortoises.) Some taxidermy added throughout the building. The tank that used to contain Great Lakes fish now has a Painted Turtle and a pair of Common Snapping Turtles. All other exhibits stay the same.
    • The two tiny exhibits near the Peasantry that used to contain Northern Bobwhites and California Quail are now filled with empty bird feeders.

Milwaukee Man likes this.
  15. birdsandbats

Some updates from my visit today:

• The young Bearded Dragon is no longer on exhibit.
    • A male Wild Turkey now lives with the goats.
    • The fish hatchery is now raising Coho Salmon instead of Brown Trout.
    • Saw two wild North American River Otters at the zoo.
    • A Domestic Rabbit now lives with the Chickens in the Big Red Barn.
    • The Cedar Waxwing is no longer on exhibit. Anyone know what happened to it?

Kifaru Bwana and Wild wolverine like this.
  16. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Poor bunny :(

17. Wild wolverine

Two new male deer fawns are at the zoo. Unsure if they were born there or arrived from somewhere else.

birdsandbats likes this.
  18. Wild wolverine

Some interesting news, the zoo now displays a bald eagle, Jackie, as sort of a memorial I'm assuming. Jackie was the first American Eagle at the Lincoln Park Zoo when the zoo originally opened. Upon Jackie's death, she was preserved. Recently found, Jackie is kept on display in the Education Building.

birdsandbats likes this.
  19. birdsandbats

She's been there since fall 2017.

20. Wild wolverine

Ah, didn't know that. Thank you