Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo MAPPIN TERRACES PLANS

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TARZAN, 1 Apr 2011.

1. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

London Zoo have announced their future plans for the Mappin Terraces. Work is soon to start in transforming this iconic zoo building into a themed area based on the Walt Disney film The Jungle Book. The old goat mountains are to be transformed into King Louis Temple featuring Orangutan and rhesus monkeys, at the lower level black panther and Bengal tiger will be featured as well as Asian sloth bear making a return to the zoo. The old cafe at the bottom of the terraces are to be a Jungle Book gift shop selling all the merchandise related to the film,i.e. cuddly toys of the famous characters, D,V. D.'s of this great film and also featuring a vivarium featuring a Boa constrictor, The famous songs from this film will be played in this area, however not to loud as to disturb the tranquility of the rest of the zoo, work on this starts soon with a target of having it open by the start of the Summer season

2. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is it already 1 April in London?

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I believe it must be

4. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh no, Its true. As part of the contract, Disney will turn the middle of Animal Kingdom "Discovery Island" into a replica of the London Zoo with its own Mappin Terraces going up the side of the "Tree of Life".

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Fools gold(en)!

6. Goretex

Goretex Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Late response but a great April fool!:p

7. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Am I the only one thinking that it's a shame this was an April Fools? I've never been to London so don't know whether the size/layout etc. of the Mappins would lend themselves to an exhibit such as this - but it sounded ace :D [Now if only a zoo could do a lion king exhibit, the good Disney film about animals] - Spotted hyenas, Red-billed hornbill, Warthogs, Meerkats [sigh] and of course lions :D [and maybe a couple of backing animals :p]

8. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

This may have been an April Fools joke,which is a pity as its one of the best plans I a have heard for the Mappins for a longtime!!

9. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Glad you liked it, please note no offence intended to Regent's Park, you will be to young to remember Esther Rantzen's LIPRA LOOF on her programme That's Life some years ago

10. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great april joke.

One mistake, that not should happen: The snake in Disneys Jungle Book must be a tiger or a reticulated python, not a boa constrictor from South and Central America. (Although Disneys Jungle Book is not free of mistakes either. I just say: Free ranging Orang-Utans in India?)

But anyway: As Javan Rhino wrote, your idea (@Tarzan) is much better then the existing (and for zoofans disapointing) Australian exhibit.

11. RowanGreen

RowanGreen Well-Known Member

I think given that it's not a huge space, you'd have to scale things down, and have tigers and rhesus represented by meercats and tamarind.