Join our zoo community

Zoo Duisburg Marine mammal collection

Discussion in 'Germany' started by zooworker, 24 Oct 2008.

1. zooworker

zooworker Well-Known Member

From what i've heard duisburg zoo once had a large marine mammal collection. What happened?

2. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's a big question to answer, i can tell you as far as i know and what is reported on the german site ZootierlisteHomepage...

The Zoo Director in the 1970's had a passion for aquatic mammals and started planning capturing expeditions to get some exotic breeds over to his park. In the end he managed to acquire Beluga's, Bottlenosed dolphins, Amazon River dolphins, sotalia's and Commerson's Dolphin's.

Beluga's:
    1969 until 2004
    No Breeding
    - 1969 0,2 "Moby" und "Allua" imported ("Moby" was initially thought to be 1,0)
    - 1975 1,0 "Ferdinand" imported
    - 1984 0,1 "Allua" died
    - 1999 0,1 "Moby" died
    - 2004 1,0 "Ferdinand" transported to Sea World California, San Diego
    Still living happily there, small hopes of perhaps still becoming a father...

Sotalia's
    1977 until 1979
    No Breeding
    - 1977 2,0 imported
    - 1979 2,0 died

Orinoco River Dolphin's
    Since 1975
    No Breeding, just 1,0 remains
    - 1975 3,2 imported from Venezuela: 2,0 adult, 0,1 adult with 1,0 youngster and 0,1 Albino (very old, died after 6 months)
    - 1976 0,1 died
    - 1978 1,0 died
    - 2006 1,0 died (estimated age, over 40 years)

Commerson's
    1978 until 2004
    No Breeding
    - 1978 Imported 2,4, of which reportedly 1,2 to be sent on to a Dutch dolphinarium; according to the year report world's first captive population ever.
    - 1979 1,4 after just a few weeks died, just 1,0 "Yogi" survived
    - 1980 Imported 2,2,1, of which 0,2,1 died that same year; 2,0 "Pepe" and "Gaucho" survived
    - 1982 1,0 "Gaucho" died
    - 1984 3,3 imported; 2,3 died within a short period, 1,0 "Busso" überlebte
    - 1989 1,0 "Pepe" died
    - 1991 1,0 "Busso" died
    - 2004 1,0 "Yogi" sent to Sea World California, San Diego

Yogi died in San Diego, i believe within a few months at a very respectable age.

The information about the Dolphins is a little less detailed on the site. At one point they exchanged dolphins during which they got the last animals from Antwerp Zoo (i believe they added 1.2 antwerp to their remaining 0.2, shortly after 0.1 antwerp died) and ended up with 1.3 animals. Last year, two of the females had a female calf so now they are on 1.5.0.2 (if you know what i mean).

Other then that, the Duisburg Zoo has also kept Southern Sea Lions (least 1962 until 1990), South African fur seals, Manatees, and South American fur seals. They now only hold a decent group of Californians.

Their remaing enclosures are decent for the animals they show, the dolphinarium and californians are housed okay and Rio Negro is nothing short of spectacular. Once the remaining last Boto dies, the building will be used for manatees.

I saw Yogi and Ferdinand right before their move at the end of 2004. Their pool was rather small and it felt good that they went. The Amazons were still living in their horrible 5meter by 5m by 5m pool at the aquarium. I visited the Zoo again in 2006 to see the amazon's in their new pool, and it was one of the most emtional moments i've had in a zoo (not that i had many, but still). They looked happy and a lot better then the last time i saw them (their skin seemed to have smoothed out a lot).

That's as far as i know/can find out, happy?

3. Woxys

Woxys Member

Thank you for such detailed answer :aww: but I do not think that previous Boto pool was 5 meters deep, it was much shallower, I think :)

4. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Zebraduiker pretty much listed the most important aspects. Most of the cetacea mentioned above were caught and imported to Duisburg by Dr. Wolfgang Gewalt and his team in the 1970s. As laws concerning the capture, trade and transport of exotic animals changed worldwide (along with a change of attitude torwards modern husbandry), the zoo was unable to obtain new animals, resulting in a gradual decrease of animals and species kept. Bit by bit, the animals died-may it be due to old age (like the albino boto) or health (respiratiory/dermal problems, especially Commerson's) issues.

@Woxys: Appearances can be deceiving; the old pool is larger than it might appear. Nevertheless, keeping modern husbandry standards in mind, and comparing it to the modern exhibit, it certainly is rather cramped (to say the least).