Join our zoo community

Marine Mammals and Sharks kept in China

Discussion in 'China' started by RatioTile, 3 Apr 2020.

1. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

I’m having trouble finding a list of species kept in China, and I have no idea if they have their own AZA/EAZA/JAZA equivalent. As a marine biology student, I’m curious what species of marine megafauna are kept in China, especially ones that are exclusive to the country. I’d like to know about:

1) Cetaceans
    2) Pinnipeds
    3) Ground Sharks (Carcharhinidae)
    4) Other Sharks
    5) Deep Sea Fish - is there a collection as good as those in Japan?
    6) Endemic Freshwater Fish

2. Ding Lingwei

Ding Lingwei Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@MegalodonEric might be able to answer your questions. He's an expert in this area.

RatioTile likes this.
  3. MegalodonEric

MegalodonEric Member

Eh……To tell you the truth,in China mainland,the aquariums' animal collection are not as various as those in Japan.As I know,a few of Ground Sharks has kept in captivity in China's aquariums,Blacktip reef shark/Carcharhinus melanopterus,Whitetip reef shark/Triaenodon obesus,Sharptooth lemon shark/Negaprion acutidens are the most common species that has been kept in captivity in China's aquariums.Recently,some aquariums has brought in some other sharks,such as Sandbar shark/Carcharhinus plumbeus,Grey reef shark/Carcharhinus amblyrhynchos.Also some other aquariums has other larger species,the Amoy Underwater World and the Nanchong Ocean World has Bull shark/Carcharhinus leucas,which is rarely seen in other aquariums.
    In my opinion,if you want to see more kinds of sharks,Japan might be a better choice.

RatioTile likes this.
  4. RatioTile

How about cetaceans? I know Indo-Pacific humpback is at Chimelong, Risso’s dolphin is somewhere in Shandong, and Yangtze finless porpoise is in a facility along the Yangtze. The one I’m most curious about is the long-finned pilot whale; is that one still around at some place called Polar Ocean something? Thanks.

5. MegalodonEric

MegalodonEric Member

I think this report might help you,these informations are come from the China Cetacean Alliance,it's very convinced.here is the interlinkage:
    View our resources

6. MegalodonEric

MegalodonEric Member

As for the Endemic Freshwater Fish,there are only a few aquariums has set the Professional Exhibition area,such as Shanghai Ocean Aquarium,you can see Chinese sturgeon/Acipenser sinensis,Chinese High Fin Banded Shark/Myxocyprinus asiaticus,Percocypris pingiGymnocypris przewalskii and so on(For more informations,you can look up my posts),if you'd like to see the huge,Purebred Chinese sturgeon(yes,many sturgeon in aquariums has been mixed),the Beijing aquarium is better,they have many Chinese sturgeons,some of them reach nearly 8 feets long.What's more,Dahua Hongshuihe aquarium,which located in Yuxi,Yunnan Province,is known as the first Endemic Freshwater Fish aquarium of china,but I have never gone there.

7. RatioTile

No long-finned pilot whale? Is the one at Hangzhou Polar Ocean World dead, or a mislabeled short-finned pilot whale?

Oh, and are there any ocean sunfish or tuna in large aquarium tanks?

8. MegalodonEric

MegalodonEric Member

Oh,that's shortfin pilot whale,not longfin;there used to be sunfish in Qingdao Haichang Polor Ocean World and Shanghai Ocean Aquarium,but now there aren't any;as for tuna……Hongkong Ocean Park has easten bluefin tuna.

9. RatioTile

Was there ever a longfin?

10. MegalodonEric

MegalodonEric Member

No,never,all of the four pilot whale there are shortfin