Join our zoo community

Zoo København Marius - Giraffe at Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Kerry, 8 Feb 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

While I feel the arguments on both sides - and there are excellent arguments for culling, and for not culling - have been made well, I think the refutation of this point, made several times, has not been made.

The implication here, from @zooish (and previously from others) is that the breeding of an unwanted calf must have been a mistake, due to poor management.

However, there is an argument which would suggest that the raising of young is a vital part of the natural behaviour of a captive animal, and as such is the best form of behavioural enrichment. Thus, stopping animals from breeding simply because it will not be possible to house the young might be seen as being irresponsible and even, to use an emotive word used many times in this debate, cruel. Far more humane to allow animals to mate, breed, raise young, and then, at the time when, in the wild, the young would leave the parent(s), humanely cull those youngsters....

I appreciate, of course, that other opinions are available.....

2. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Just to address 2 points, the zoo in question is quite far north in Sweden at the same latitude as Alaska and Yukon. In my view if zoochatters heard that a single giraffe was being sent to such a location there would be uproar...

It doesn't set a precedent, Copenhagen Zoo euthanises ungulates and feeds them to carnivores on a regular basis and public necropsies/disections are also done. It's nothing new.

I do agree about the naming, that's the main thing I feel the zoo did wrong.

3. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

Did not seen the online video of autopsy, but had they really fed the whole leg to lions, without removing the bones to preserve them?!

4. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The zoo put a statement in English on its website.
    http://zoo.dk/BesogZoo/Nyhedsarkiv/2014/Februar/Why Copenhagen Zoo euthanized a giraffe.aspx

I am shocked that contraception or vasectomy is not even tried. They are common management tools, and certainly more ethical than certainity of death. Similar approach to breeding dogs or cats would be prohibited.

In practice, this 'letting animals breed naturally' is the same as cynical producing young animals for public and destroying them when they are no longer cute.

I think Copenhagen Zoo with its extremely careless attitude to killing zoo animals very much strengthened anti-zoo movement worldwide.

Beastking04 likes this.
  5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I believe the discussion is going around in circles now - the people who are appalled by these events will not be swayed by those who accept the actions of Zoo København, and those who accept the actions of Zoo København will not be swayed by those who are appalled by said actions. Good points have been made by both sides of the argument.

As such, would anyone be opposed to the thread being locked now?

6. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I completely agree. The public in China enjoys throwing live cows and chicken to tigers as 'interesting' 'educational' even 'allowing natural behaviour'. But this does not make it ethical.

7. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

How do you suppose to throw a cow?

8. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

passive Danes allow their viking blood lust to surface.

I am a first generation scandanavian american who has worked with and kept exotic animals all my life. I am an omnivoure not squimish nor am I an animal rights activities. I must laugh at this really stupid episode which is not reality in the wild. If the naive Danes want to experience their viking past animal killing and feeding to other animals with their children , they should go to slaughter house/abbatour and directly participate. The staff and director of the zoo should undergo psychiatric testing. This really stupid situation will give super power to the animal right activists who are dominated by their irrational emotional handicapped mentality and totally antizoo. The european zoo federation should place sanctions on this facility for its irresponsible action. Get Real.

9. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Considering that this slaughter of Marius the giraffe took place in Denmark, it has certainly hit the headlines not only in Europe but throughout the world, that is the era we now live in with the internet years ago we would have been none the wiser. Several friends and work mates today have mentioned this incident in conversation, they are neither zoo enthusiasts nor animal rights supporters, just normal Joe Public on the Clapham omnibus. Everyone who has mentioned this has been disgusted at what has happened at Copenhagen, the one person who was most disgusted was an ex slaughterman who found it repulsive that the giraffe carcass was butchered in front of visitor's children, and he also asked why Marius was not put down by lethal injection instead of the bolt pistol just to feed his carcass to the lions uncontaminated. My first concern is for the dead giraffe itself, secondly for all the other animal that live in this very strange place. It also causes me to wonder what repercussions may result from this for reputable zoos who would never dream of involving themselves, or indeed their animals in this disgusting, weird repulsive practice, very unfair if decent zoos get the backlash.

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Disagree with the policy all you like, but I think that implying that the entire workforce of the collection have mental health problems - as you just have - is a step too far.

And now that the discussion is turning towards the ad hominem I think it needs putting to bed now, being as no one has replied to my early post with protest at the potential closure of the thread.

If anything further comes up about the case which needs discussion, I will create a new thread.

--edit--

Due to demand, a new and more generalised thread is linked below:

http://www.zoochat.com/2/euthanasia-healthy-animals-zoos-breed-cull-355164/

Last edited: 12 Feb 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.