Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Marwell news 2012

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 25 Jan 2012.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

A giraffe calf was born today to mum Ursula and dad Kizmet. I don't know the sex yet or if it's pure (Is it pure? I know Kizmet is).

3. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

Ursula didn't arrive at Marwell until 8th June 2011, so she must have already been pregnant when she left Woburn (gestation period is 15 months). That said, I believe the calf would be a Rothschild's giraffe as the Woburn herd are pure.

4. Jordan-Jaguar97

Thanks mhale.

So who's the calf's father? I don't think it could be Doto (Now at Longleat).

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is now 50 / 50 or more at Marwell. The move towards purebreds has been initiated a while ago.

6. leiclad20

leiclad20 Well-Known Member

Whats their plan for the hybrids? Are they going to accept duty of care for them and keep them until they die or will they be sent to holding collections? Could they not just sterilise them and mingle them with the pure herd, or is that a bit too brutal?

7. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

I believe the current adult male at Woburn is called Casper - I presume he is the father.

You are correct that Doto is now at Longleat. Also, he is Ursula's own father.

Last edited: 31 Jan 2012
  8. Jordan-Jaguar97

Ah, I thought it was an all female group with Doto leaving in 2010 (?).

9. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

The herd comprises of 5 x hybrids (Isabella (f), Makeda (f), Christa (f), Tiye (f) and Kwame (m)) and 6 x Rothschild's (Kismet (m), Matilda (f), Ursula (f), Jade (f), Nsia (f) and the newborn calf).

10. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Casper is the current breeding male at Woburn and the father of the latest Marwell calf following Doto's departure in Spring 2009. Well done to Marwell and Woburn on this fantastic news :D

12. Gary

Gary Well-Known Member

Are any new animals/exhibits planned for 2012? The collection does seem to have stagnated for the last couple of years and I'm sure some new animals, even in existing exhibits, could bring much needed publicity, visitors and cash!

I'd really like to see Lions (even African ones as the population has deceased so much now) back in the collection.

They could go in the cage next to the elderly tigers.

Some of the rapidly breeding Red River Hogs from other collections would be a great and colourful exhibit.

I've also advocated Hippo and Cape buffalo for the African Valley, as well as some gazelle species, Thompsons or Grants.

All of these are fairly easily obtainable but not are not hugely common in UK zoos.

Possibly some new monkey species would be good-they are always crowd-pullers. A baboon colony would be great.

I've always wanted to see the once-promised but never arrived Red Kangaroos-a bit more interesting than the Greys.

And I'd love to see some more big predators added to the collection-maybe wolves or bears which have not been kept before-there are some nice tree'd areas that could be turned over to a massive 'European Forest' exhibit with Wisent and deer as well.

13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

14. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Siamangs are among the large monkeys, that'll upset the ape-like siamangs :p

Sorry, you're on zoochat - that was always going to get picked up on :p

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Feb 2012
  15. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

This year Marwell is celebrating it's 40th anniversary. the website is a mine of shallow information, so I can't ascertain whether anything is actually happening to mark this event, beyond a rather nasty-looking mosaic consisting of children's pictures of animals being "unveiled". Is there an exhibition or even a publication of some sort? I fear there won't be, but I'd be interested to learn if there is.

I have (rightly) been picked up by a Zoochatter for having a bit of a downer on Marwell, but I can't help but feel that, as has been said above, it really is stagnating. I'd be interested to hear the counter-argument - that since the current director took over (I'm guessing about five years ago) the zoo has been moving in a healthy direction, and getting better. I see a nice new logo (I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically), some very half-hearted new exhibits, a lot of shabbiness, and lots of problems unresolved. And a very nice cafe (which is far, far too small). Do others see it differently?

16. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

Ive only been a couple of times, but I went round the whole lot in less than 2 hours (I'm usually an opening till closing person).

17. lechweoryx

lechweoryx Well-Known Member

How old is the Afrucan Valley exhibit now? I can't believe there are still only the four original species in the exhibit.

18. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I managed a whole day last June and didn't think that was necessarily long enough - I missed the takins for which I'm still kicking myself since for me seeing that species is by no means simple [Highlands, Marwell and Paignton, none of which are day trips from good ol' Cheshire].

There were bits that needed improving, but I think it's easy enough to spend a full day there [or maybe that's because it was a first visit].

19. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I have never managed to do Marwell in anything less than a full day,to do it all in 2 hours did you only look at the primates:p

20. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited Marwell very soon after it opened. I remember being excited by the herds of Grevy's zebras and scimitar horned oryx, and I am delighted that they are still flourishing. Likewise the nyala, sable, roan and ellipsen waterbuck. They also had some unusual species like goral (hybrids I think) for which the current equivalents are the takin. Likewise they have always had a nice collection of cats and their records with Przewalski horses and okapi are splendid.
    My criticism would be that the other species seem fairly incidental alongside the cats and ungulates: just a few birds, some lemurs, marmosets and monkeys (and the siamangs), a few reptiles and a few small carnivores. Unfortunately even the nicest species can be very hard to see, it's quite possible to find the snow leopards lying doggo, the lemurs and fossas asleep, the ocelots and sand cats invisible and the okapi in their stalls. On my last visit, the Australian walkthrough - a few wallabies and an aviary with kookaburras - was just boring. The Somali wild asses never disappoint me, but I suppose many visitors just see them as donkeys.
    I agree that some of the buildings need attention. A lick of paint would help some, but a few need to go - particularly the bat shack.
    I think that the entrance area and the 'Australian' area need spicing up with alternative species, preferably active ones, and more imaginative displays. How about Himalayan black bears in the woods behind the shop? Or European bison if a simpler enclosure is needed. If that is too ambitious at least add a few more small mammals, perhaps bushdogs or tree porcupines. Then move the kookaburras and net the whole Australian walkthrough, dig a pool and add some smaller parakeets, perhaps Bourkes and barrabands, with diamond sparrows, wandering whistling ducks and magpie geese (preferably full-winged).

Alan

Last edited: 22 Feb 2012