Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Marwell or Bristol Zoo Gardens with todler

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by janed9388, 10 Oct 2013.

1. janed9388

janed9388 New Member

we're thinking of taking our little one to a zoo for her first birthday outing and currently live half way between Marwell and Bristol Zoo Gardens. Can anyone recommend which might be best to visit. My main thoughts are somewhere with a pets corner so she might closer to a few animals which she seems to love at our local rare breeds farm and somewhere with a play area so she can get out of her pram and have a toddle around. I've checked their websites but it doesn't really give me a feel for which is best. many thanks in advance.

2. Hevden

Hevden Well-Known Member

Hi, personally have not yet visited marwell but we took our baby to Bristol and access with a pushchair was easy and there is an area where there are little puddle bits children can splash in, in wellies and you can feed the lorikeets (i think this was at a fee). There wasn't a pet for er that we observed but we chose a very wet day to visit :( hope this helps you

Last edited: 10 Oct 2013
  3. Gary

Gary Well-Known Member

I think you need to bear in mind Bristol is a small city zoo and Marwell is a big country estate that will take you several hours to go round. At this time of year it can be perishing cold on the more open areas too.

With a very young child I would think Bristol is better. Marwell doesn't have a children's zoo any more either, I believe.

If that's what you really want, you'd be better looking off going to Paultons-some animals and definitely more kid orientated, plus there is a Rare Breeds Farm in the New Forest.

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would suggest Bristol is a much better bet with a young child, as generally they will get much closer to the animals.
    Also as has been pointed out , Marwell is much more exposed.
    Neither has a pets or farm area.

5. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have taken my (now) 4 year old daughter around Bristol last year. Was interesting seeing the zoo from her perspective, and she walked around all day without complaint. Haven't been to Marwell for years, but agree with other posters that Bristol would be far more child-friendly.

6. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

There's very little cover at Marwell, and for little legs there's a lot of walking - or a lot of pushing buggies up a gradient steep enough to be noticed with a 2 or 3 year old in the chair!

As a matter of interest, have you considered Longleat, which is nearer than either?

7. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Although i'd hate to put anyone off visiting Bristol, because it's great. Without looking at a map, would Cotswold wildlife park be within range? They have a pets corner/farm.

8. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

That's not a bad idea at all. And it has a train!

9. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

marwell may be a good zoo to go to in the future due to the fact they are building a petting zoo at the bottom of the zoo.:)

10. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Out of the two collections mentioned I would go for Bristol, far more child orientated BUT as Johnny Morris pointed out CWP may be more in-line with what you're looking for. Out of interest, how far is Drusillas from Marwell? Surely that's the most child-friendly zoo in Britain?

11. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

At a rough guess, around 2 hours from Marwell , maybe more.

12. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ignore that suggestion then! :p