Join our zoo community

Indianapolis Zoo Master plan for indianapolis zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Cyclone, 17 Jul 2018.

1. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Has anyone heard what the potential master plan for the Indianapolis zoo is going to be at one point I thought they were discussing a exhibit for gorillas bonobos and chimps don't know if that plan fell through or if that was a false statement

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Several years ago the Indianapolis Zoo director publicity talked about wanting to build naturalistic gorilla and bonobo exhibits. He then went and built the orangutan thing. If they have a master plan and plans for future exhibits beyond the orangs, macaw show, and renovated former polar bear exhibit for macaques, they have not released them publicly.

3. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A few years ago their was talk of the zoo moving its parking lots to an adjacant site, opening up room for an expansion of the zoos footprint. Yet it seems nothing came of this.

DelacoursLangur likes this.
  4. Cyclone

Big bummer seems like there is so much potential

5. Cyclone

As much as it gives the orangutans the structure to climb I knda feel he failed a little bit on it if that was his original plan to make it naturalistic I am pretty sure he could have made it a top zoo with 4 great ape species and 1 lesser great ape species seeing as the gibbons and the orangutans could be housed together

6. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

There was a change in the leadership team resulting in a change of approach for the orang project

7. Grizzly Hound

Grizzly Hound Well-Known Member

I found this article in a magazine for the zoo, for this year. This is all I could find. 49981B5C-F55F-4013-9FB2-FFAEC351B4E8.jpeg

Milwaukee Man and StoppableSan like this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Rather general and obliquely vague on content ...(???)!

I would almost be inclined to ask: What is cooking guys and gals? Can you tell us what is in store and we can expect in new exhibits and events at our local zoo?
    (Honestly, I am not being sarcastic ...., I just could do with a little less mission talk speak and more on substance please)

StoppableSan likes this.