Join our zoo community

Masterplan of my "absolute" Zoo - 2022 version

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Haliaeetus, 21 Apr 2022.

1. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

Hello,

You surely waited for this thread for months : here's the 2022 version of my absolute Zoo masterplan !

The general map can be seen here :
    [​IMG]

For this version I maintained the same number of species (100 mammals, 210 birds, 75 herps/amphibians, 110 fish, 40 invertebrate) and the principle of continental zones, while I proceeded to changes in my collection.
    For example some ABC species like Lions and Chimpanzees left the park... other animals (including some extremely rare species) arrived... So there have been marginal changes in the zoning.
    I will describe comprehensively all the enclosures and exhibits, the number of animals, births, transfers and deaths, and also the conservation programs supported by the Zoo.
    I don't say more about it for now.

As in 2021, I will start the description with the European Zone.

2. Haliaeetus

The visit begins with the European Zone.

General map of the European Zone :
    [​IMG]

This zone displays many species of European native mammals, birds and a few herps from all the European continent, from Scandinavia to the Mediterranean islands, from the Atlantic seashores to the Danube Delta.

You pass the pay booths (A), then you can see the main souvenir shop (B) and a restaurant (C).

The first animal exhibit is located in front of you (1), it's a wetland aviary of 1.700 m².
    There are two shallow pools, mudflats and a lot of marsh vegetation with reedbeds, willows and alders, where the birds can hide and breed.

Storks, Mallards and Avocets have left the Zoo in 2021 ; the Bittern and Snipes have been transferred in another aviary to avoid disturbance by the numerous other birds.
    The pole and platform dedicated to stork breeding have been dismantled.

Now we can see the following species :
    • Little Egret Egretta garzetta (3.2)
    • Purple Heron Ardea purpurea (2.3)
    • Glossy Ibis Plegadis falcinellus (9.7)
    • Black-tailed Godwit Limosa limosa (3.4)
    • Little Gull Hydrocoloeus minutus (4.4), new species for the Zoo, unique in Europe
    The Zoo had the joy of registering some breeding in this aviary : in 2021, 9 Glossy Ibises (5.4) from 3 clutches, and 3 Little Gulls (0.3) hatched and fledged successfully.
    There have been arrivals : 1.0 Little Egret, 3.3 Black-tailed Godwits (it's hoped to breed this declining species soon) and obviously the Little Gulls (rescued from a pollution event).

Some new panels have been installed about the different species of herons, storks, ibises and allies naturally present in French and European wetlands, their distribution, ecology and population dynamics.

The European wetland aviary :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : vogelcommando)

Little Egret :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : KevinB)

Purple Heron :
    [​IMG]

Glossy Ibis :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Arek)

Bar-tailed Godwit :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Hix)

Little Gull :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : D1m0ndback)

I will describe the next aviaries of the ornithological section of my Zoo in the next days.
    For now I would be pleased to receive your first comments about the beginning of this long description, that will probably last during all the remainder of the year.

Stay in touch !

3. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

To be honest, I’m a little confused by this thread. If you wanted to modify your fantasy zoo, couldn’t you just have posted in the old thread? I’m sure I read elsewhere in this subforum that making multiple threads for a person’s zoo was disallowed. Also, the fictional breeding/deaths/transfers reports seem to fall squarely within the territory of narrative fiction, which is completely forbidden in the new Spec Zoo forum.

4. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Haliaeetus did this last year, and the old thread was moved to the new subforum, I will assume that the mods did not see an issue with it (I could be wrong, this is just an assumption based on the fact that the thread was salvaged)

5. Haliaeetus

I would indicate that this thread/topic is based on zoo design (that's allowed in the forum), it isn't a role playing game nor a competition, and it isn't part of it.
    I add that many real zoos have masterplans, that evolve in the timeline for many reasons. That justifies a diachronic approach, just like in real life.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2022
  6. Haliaeetus

Hello,

after the freshwater wetlands, we can see the second large bird exhibit of the Zoo, the Seashore Aviary (2). This installation has 1.110 m² surface.
    You can see there a long cold water pool, with deep and shallow zones that are suitable for diving birds and waders. The soil is covered with sand, gravel, mudflats and also grassy areas.
    There's also a mini-cliff of 3 m high, and shelters to prevent disturbance of ground-nesting species (terns & waders) clutches.
    All these zones can provide feeding, resting and breeding areas for the numerous birds, typical of the Western European seashores.

The following species are displayed for now :
    • Great Cormorant Phalacrocorax carbo (3.2)
    • Broad-billed Sandpiper Limicola falcinellus (3.3), new species for the Zoo, unique in Europe
    • Curlew Sandpiper Calidris ferruginea (9.5), new species for the Zoo
    • Bar-tailed Godwit Limosa lapponica (0.1)
    • Common Greenshank Tringa nebularia (3.1), new species for the Zoo, unique in Europe
    • Ruddy Turnstone Arenaria interpres (4.2), new species for the Zoo
    • Common Tern Sterna hirundo (1.7), new species for the Zoo
    Compared with last year, the Zoo get rid of the ducks (Shelduck and Eider), Oystercatchers and Little Terns.
    Instead they have received a lot of waders, and a small flock of Common Terns.

All these species are common along the French seashores, except the Broad-billed Sandpiper that's a rare vagrant (<10 birds spotted each year). Only the Cormorant and Common Tern breed in France, all the other species breed in the Far North.

These birds can reproduce familiar sights of the North-Western coasts of Europe, where it's easy to spot large flocks of cormorants, waders and terns.

The birds displayed are mainly rescued birds, from French and North European centres.

In 2021, a pair of Common Terns bred, producing 0.3 fledglings.

New panels placed near this aviary explain the behaviours to have in holidays, in order to protect the birds that breed (or simply rest) on our beaches, with the (real) environmental campaign "On marche sur des oeufs" (litterally, "we walk on eggs"...) that's organized in France.

The other panels have been removed.

Seabird aviary :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : gulogulogulo)

Great Cormorant :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : TheoV)

Curlew Sandpiper :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Kakapo)

Ruddy Turnstone :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : red river hog)

Common Tern :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : TheoV)

The next aviary (3) is new, it has a surface of 240 m².
    It replace the former Sand Martin aviary, that has been put down (the Sand Martins are no longer displayed now).
    In this aviary, surrounded by many bushes and bamboo, there's a small pool, some dense reedbed, where the single Eurasian Bittern Botaurus stellaris (1.0) can hide from the sight of the visitors... and from the other birds.
    It has been noticed that this shy bird was distressed by the intense activity of the herons, ibises and other birds living in the Wetland Aviary (European Zone, exhibit n° 1).
    For now he can have a more quiet life, waiting for an eventual mate (not found yet).

Bittern Aviary :
    [​IMG]

Eurasian Bittern :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Maguari)

In the next days I will present the changes that have happened in the next aviaries of the European bird section.

You can now post your comments, impressions, etc...

Stay in touch !

Last edited: 24 Apr 2022
  7. Haliaeetus

Hello,

after the Bittern aviary we can find two aviaries of 100 m² each (4-5) ; their design has changed a little bit.

The dry landscape of the first aviary (4) has been changed in favour of a wetland environment, with a pond and reedbeds.

It has been designed to house the Common Snipes (3.0) formerly housed in the main wetland aviary (exhibit n° 1 of the European Zone).
    Like in the case of the Bittern, they have been transferred for behavioral reasons.
    They live with a songbird species unique in European zoos, the Moustached Warbler Acrocephalus melanopogon (2.3).

Both species are very shy, and it may be difficult to catch a glimpse of them.

The second aviary (5) has still its Nordic theme, but it has been planted with a lot of conifers, heath and birches that give an impression of a dense forest and moor, even if the surface of the exhibit is small.

We can see there several species typical of Scandinavia and Eastern Europe :
    • Willow Grouse Lagopus lagopus (1.2)
    • Bohemian Waxwing Bombycilla garrulus (2.1), new species for the Zoo
    • Thrush Nightingale Luscinia luscinia (3.0), new species for the Zoo
    • Willow Tit Poecile montanus (5.5), new species for the Zoo
    The Common Rosefinches previously displayed are gone.

There has been a successful breed of Willow Tits (4.4 fledglings) in 2021 in this aviary, that add to the pair already housed.

Bohemian Waxwing :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : ThylacineAlive)

In the next days I'll start the small mammal section of the European Zone.

Stay in touch !

8. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I realy enjoy your projects.
    One question.
    Might it be possible that you would also provide a map with icons of the animals kept in the enclosures or the name, like you did with the wild life park.
    I can struggle a bit remember all the species in relation to the enclosure on the map.

Van Beal and Haliaeetus like this.
  9. Haliaeetus

Hello,
    I will do that at the end of the description of each zone (the European zone in the next weeks).

BenFoxster and LARTIS like this.
  10. Haliaeetus

Hello,

after the first European exhibits dedicated to birds, I start to describe the mammalian collection, beginning with the smallest species, primarily rodents.

The first exhibit (6) is a 200 m² aviary with plenty of branches, ropes, hides and nest boxes.
    It can be separated in 2 sections if needed, otherwise the animals can enjoy the whole installation.
    It is the home of a family group of Eurasian Red Squirrels Sciurus vulgaris (5.2).

The group includes 2.1 adults, and 4 juveniles (3.1) born in 2021.

These diurnal animals are quite easy to see.
    Near their enclosures there are informative panels that explain the ecological role of Squirrels, and the conservation issues with the introduction of exotic species (like the Grey Squirrel in Britain, and to a lesser extent in Northern Italy).

Possible look of the Red Squirrel aviary :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : HOMIN96)

Red Squirrel :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : hmb_zoo)

After the Squirrel aviary, we come in the impressive European Vivarium (7), divided in two sections.
    Its species collections remains roughly the same as in 2020, with two exceptions.

I display the former map, assuming the layout of the exhibits hasn't changed :
    [​IMG]

It begins with 3 small terraria of 4 m² each (A-B-C), dedicated to small species of rodents.
    They are 2 m high and filled with many branches and nest boxes, assuming that their dwellers are good climbers.

We can see there the following species :
    • Eurasian Harvest Mouse Micromys minutus (5.3)
    • Japanese Dormouse Glirulus japonicus, this species remains unique in European zoos (2.6)
    • European Garden Dormouse Eliomys quercinus (1.5)
    In 2021, the Vivarium has welcomed the births of 5 Eurasian Harvest Mice (4.1) and 5 Japanese Dormice (0.5). Some of these rodents would leave the Zoo soon.

Additionnally, the building of an outdoor enclosure and the arrival of extra pairs of Harvest Mice and Garden Dormice are planned for 2023.

Possible look of the Harvest Mice enclosure :
    [​IMG]

Eurasian Harvest Mouse :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Fresco3)

Japanese Dormouse :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Giant Eland)

Garden Dormouse terrarium :
    [​IMG]

European Garden Dormice :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : NRJMelvinT)

At the opposite side of the path, there are 3 slightly larger (6 m² each) terraria (D-E-F) for a small colony of Common Hamsters Cricetus cricetus (2.2).

No births in 2021, but I can add that the 4.0 animals born in 2020 have been reintroduced in Alsace, in order to reinforce the small French population of this Critically Endangered species.

Some panels have been put to explain the conservation actions led in favour of the Common Hamsters in Alsace. They replace the former panels about the different species of hamsters, some of them mainly known as pets.

Possible look of the Hamsters' exhibits :
    [​IMG]

European Hamster :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Najade)

The next enclosures (G-H) have a surface of 8 m² each, are the home of European Polecats Mustela putorius (6.3).
    The soil is sandy, with some mulch, burrows, stumps, tubes and hay to provide shelters for the animals.

In 2021 the Zoo has registered the departure of 4.2 Polecats born in 2020 to some facilities in order to replenish the stocks of this declining species in the wild.

Polecat enclosure :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : felis silvestris)

European Polecat :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : twilighter)

The last exhibit of the "mammalian" part of the European Vivarium (I) has a 8 m² surface, and used to house Stone Martens.

With the death of the last individual in 2021, the enclosure has been completely refurbished, to give it the look of a kitchen and a cellar (both being linked), with many human modern artefacts, and houses now an extremely common species, the Brown Rat Rattus norvegicus (36.48).

This exhibit is used to explain the omnipresence of Rats in human-made environments, with an historical perspective : here there are explained the early stages of cohabitation (with the expansion of agriculture, then urbanization, in Asia and Middle East), the health issues (the most prominent being the Black Death that killed half of Europeans in 1348), but also the ecological role of rats in the elimination of garbage in our cities.

Brown Rat exhibit :
    [​IMG]

Brown Rat :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Breckenridge)

We come now in the second part of the European Vivarium, with a dark cave ambiance.

We can see there a pool (J) with a first group of Olms Proteus anguinus (7.9), and another one (L) with a second group of Olms (1.7).
    Both pools have a 25 m² surface.

The exhibits remain unchanged, except the arrival of a few specimens (8.5) in the complex.

Olm exhibit :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : LegoOwl)

Olm :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : newzooboy)

The last exhibit (K), a terrarium of 7 m² that used to house Cave Beetles, is now the home of House Centipedes Scutigera coleoptrata (0.0.4), common but impressive invertebrates that can be seen on the walls of the exhibit, or sometimes hunting and eating cockroaches, their favourite food, disposed by the keepers.

We come now out of the European Terrarium, and can discover many other exhibits designed for European fauna !

Stay in touch !

Last edited: 28 Apr 2022
  11. Haliaeetus

Hello,

it's the time to describe the next stages of my European Zone, after the Vivarium with its small mammals, olms, etc...

At your right (8) you can see a 450 m² netted enclosure with sandy soil, a small hill, burrows and stumps, occupied by European Rabbits Oryctolagus cuniculus (8.7).
    The group remains unchanged, as the information panels around.
    There's concrete in the bottom of the enclosure to prevent escaping of these burrowing animals.

Possible look of the European Rabbit exhibit (without the Hungarian airplanes) :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : HungarianBison)

European Rabbit :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : HungarianBison)

Next (9-10-11) there are 3 aviaries, with respectively 720 m², 415 m² and 300 m².
    Formerly they were used for Great Bustard and Ferruginous Ducks breeding programs but both have been recently stopped.
    Now they have been converted into quarantine aviaries, for recent arrivals or imminent departures (for example we can see now 2.0 Purple Herons hatched in 2020 here, before they leave in another zoo). The aviaries are also used for vaccination programs (like for a recent vaccination campaign against avian flu), temporary isolation or cures of birds.

The next aviary (12) was previously splitted for the two previously mentioned breeding programs.
    In 2021 small trees and bushes have been planted. Now it's a 1.050 m² and 5 m high walkthrough aviary, dedicated to small and middle-sized birds from temperate forests.

In the beginning of 2022 you can see the following species along the visit path :
    • Willow Tit Poecile montanus (4.9), new species for the Zoo
    • Coal Tit Periparus ater (4.4), new species for the Zoo, unique in European zoos (while it's a common bird in the wild)
    • Common Blue Tit Cyanistes caeruleus (5.0), new species for the Zoo
    • Garden Warbler Sylvia borin (1.2), new species for the Zoo
    • Eurasian Golden Oriole Oriolus oriolus (3.2), new species for the Zoo
    • Hawfinch Coccothraustes coccothraustes (5.2), new species for the Zoo
    The groups of Tits are very active and easy to see year-round, but it may be surprising to notice that the two largest species (Oriole and Hawfinch), despite their size and colours, are very shy and difficult to see for the observers, even if feeders are provided for them !

Some panels have been installed to explain the ecology of our forests' birds (habitat, feeding, nesting, behaviour...) and how to help them.
    The Zoo supports a local agroforestry project, helpful for the farmers and the biodiversity, including birds ; some information about it is provided here.

Finally a freshly arrived pair of Willow Tits have successfully bred in 2021, producing 7.1 fledglings (only 3.0 birds remain now in the aviary, the other ones have been reintroduced locally in order to restock this rapidly declining species).

New European songbird aviary :
    [​IMG]

Willow Tit :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Kakapo)

Coal Tit :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : LaughingDove)

European Blue Tit :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : MannoPebesma)

Garden Warbler :
    [​IMG]

Eurasian Golden Oriole :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Daniel Sörensen)

Hawfinch :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Goura)

I begin now the description of the Birds of Prey Valley, that has known some changes during the last year.

The first one (13), with a triangular shape and 150 m² surface, is the smallest and is densely vegetalized, so it can be hard to find its dwellers, three Eurasian Tawny Owls Strix aluco (3.0).

Tawny Owl aviary :
    [​IMG]

Eurasian Tawny Owl :
    [​IMG]

In the next aviary (14), a bit larger (250 m²), there's more cleared space, and some large trees and next boxes too, so the birds are easier to see.
    It's the home of a pair of Great Grey Owls Strix nebulosa (1.1), close to the Tawny Owl but much larger, among the large species of Owls in Europe.

Great Grey Owl aviary :
    [​IMG]

Great Grey Owl :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Haliaeetus)

The third aviary (15) has 350 m² surface and looks a bit like the previous one.
    It was formerly occupied by Eurasian Eagle Owls, but now we can see there a pair of Black-winged Kites Elanus caeruleus (1.1).
    The female already present in the Zoo has left her former aviary in the Mediterranean subzone, she has been joined by a male.

Former Eagle Owls aviary, now occupied by Black-winged Kites :
    [​IMG]

Black-winged Kite :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : devilfish)

A panel has been put to explain the life of this little-known bird, a curiously tropical element of the European avifauna, unknown for much people in Europe (unlike many raptor species, that are well-represented in the folklores, heraldry...), that remains rare but expands slowly its range (it's at least the case in France).

In the next days I'll describe the following aviaries of the Bird of Prey Valley, with many other European birds of prey (and other species, I don't say more about it for now).

Stay in touch !

Last edited: 5 May 2022
    Bengal Tiger and TheGerenuk like this.
  12. Haliaeetus

Hello,

it's time to describe the following aviaries of the Birds of Prey Valley (Vallée des Rapaces).

We begin with a large, 495 m² aviary (16) that remained void in 2020.
    Now it's no longer the case, this aviary is used for another Mediterranean species, after the Black-winged Kite.
    We can see now the Eurasian Black Vulture Aegypius monachus (1.1).
    This pair of birds has been transferred from the former mixed-vulture species aviary (nearly all the other birds are gone frome the Zoo).
    In this exhibit the ground is mainly grassy, with stumps and platforms used as perches by these birds. Some mock-rocks have been installed on the rear side of the aviary and hide the nests and a grotto where the birds can rest.
    In the middle of the enclosure a "table" is used to dispose the carrion that the Vultures eat.

Possible look of the Eurasian Black Vultures' aviary :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : conservationistdude)

Eurasian Black Vulture :
    [​IMG]

The next aviaries have experienced some changes.

The two following aviaries have been merged in a large, 250 m² aviary (17) with thick plantations of indigenous trees and bushes for the pair of Eurasian Hobbies Falco subbuteo (1.1). The Sparrowhawks have left the Zoo.
    Long perches and a nest platform have been installed in the aviary for the breeding attempts of the pair.

Eurasian Hobby :
    [​IMG]

Near this place, some panels have been installed to explain the feeding (eaters of rodents, fish, reptiles, carrion...) and nesting habits (in the forests, rocks, fields and even in towns like for the Peregrine and Kestrel) and the migration of our European birds of prey (sedentary or migratory species, with long-distance travellers among them like the Red-footed Falcon or the Honey Buzzard).
    The Zoo supports a conservation project for one threatened species (yet not displayed in the Zoo but that should be acquired in the near future to attempt breeding), the Bonelli's Eagle.

We are now in front of the former Steppe Buzzard exhibit (18), a 175 m² aviary with few vegetation (mainly grass and low bushes) but many rocks and perches, as the 4 following aviaries.
    We can see here for now the Kestrel Falco tinnunculus (1.0) formerly displayed in the vulture aviary.
    This bird is kept alone for now but the arrival of a partner is considered.

European Kestrel aviary (the one in my speculative zoo is much larger and "natural") :
    [​IMG]

Kestrel :
    [​IMG]

The next aviary (19) is larger (300 m²) and dedicated to the pair of Lesser Spotted Eagles Clanga pomarina (1.1) that haven't bred until now in spite of the perches and nest platforms installed in the exhibit.

Lesser Spotted Eagle :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : alexkant)

Another iconic eagle is maintained in the following aviary (20), that has a 360 m² surface and large trees where a large nest of branches has been built.
    There's the home of the White-tailed Sea Eagle Haliaeetus albicilla (2.1) : a breeding pair and an immature male, waiting for his departure (his sister hatched in 2020 has joined a wildlife centre of Haute-Savoie, in the French Alps, for a potential reintroduction in the wild).
    Additional information is provided about the symbolism of this species, a true European pride (it's the emblematic bird of Poland, and it has been represented on Gallic coins) and the conservation projects of this bird in France (supported by the Zoo) and Europe : recent programs have managed to increase its numbers in Northern and Eastern countries, while the British Isles experience now some reintroduction projects.

White-tailed Eagles' aviary :
    [​IMG]

White-tailed Eagle :
    [​IMG]

The last aviary (21) is large (325 m²) and rocky with sand and a bit of grass on the soil, and a little pond in the middle, it was previously occupied by Golden Eagles before its refurbishment.
    Now the pair of this species is gone, but they have been replaced by a species previously housed in the African Zone, the Northern Bald Ibis Geronticus eremita (4.0) with a small group of male siblings from an over-represented lineage.
    Both the arrival of females and the change of 1 or 2 males are expected.

Near this aviary there's information about the place of these Ibises in Ancient and Oriental Mythology (possibly at the origin of the Stymphalian Birds' myth in Greece, while some bedouins believed that these Ibises guided the muslims to Mecca pilgrimage [indeed the recently extinct Middle Eastern population used to fly near the region of Mecca, in Western Saudi Arabia !]), their past in Europe (these birds, also called Waldrapps, bred in the Alps until the 17th century), and their declines in recent centuries.
    A brighter stage of their life is also explained, with the recent European and African conservation and reintroduction projects, that the Zoo could join in the near future.

Northern Bald Ibises' aviary before its refurbishment :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Gil)

Northern Bald Ibis :
    [​IMG]

The former walk-through vulture aviary has been dismantled, and many of its dwellers (Griffon Vultures, Black Kites) are gone now.

A new netted aviary (22) has just been built.
    It's smaller than the former one (570 m²), but remains large.
    It's planted with heath and conifers and mimics an Alpine landscape, it's dedicated to 2 bird species :
    • Black Grouse Lyrurus tetrix (3.1)
    • Great Spotted Woodpecker Dendrocopos major (0.1)
    The Grouses are immature birds, there will be a separation for the males out of the lekking season when they will be able to breed.
    The Zoo is engaged in a breeding project for this bird whose status is precarious in France although it isn't formerly threatened currently.
    Another project supported by the Zoo is a conservation project in Northern Alps (Parc National de la Vanoise) whose purpose is to conciliate the living grounds of the Grouses with the winter sports, that's now the main threat to this species (the backcountry skiing can harass the birds to death in winter, when they lack energy) : the Zoo is involved in replantations of trees and formal protection of quiet zones for the birds, as well as information and sensibilization of the public and of the ski workers.
    The Spotted Woodpecker, belonging to a much more common species, is a rescued bird.
    These secretive birds can hide themselves quite easily, even if their colours are quite vivid (except the female Black Grouse).

Black Grouse aviary :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : lintworm)

Black Grouse :
    [​IMG]

Great Spotted Woodpecker :
    [​IMG]

Near the Black Grouse aviary, there are remnants of the former visit path of the Vulture aviary, but these ones are closed to the visitors, and can only be used by the curators.

The surrounding area has been converted into a wild insect garden (with many melliferous plants, insect hotels (both artificial and natural), dead logs and even a pond used by dragonflies, beetles and water bugs.
    Some panels explain the ecological role of the insects in our gardens and cities, there are also training sessions for the scholars and the general public too.

There's also a temporary café that is poised to be replaced by an Alpine-themed restaurant, "La Petite Suisse", in the near future.

In the next days I'll describe the remaining exhibits of the Alpine subzone.

Stay in touch !

Bengal Tiger, TheGerenuk and Gil like this.
  13. Haliaeetus

Hello,

after the Bird of Prey section, there's the last part of the Alpine sub-zone, with the former Ibex enclosure.

In the upper part, the former shelter for the wild goats has been put down.
    4 enclosures designed for small and medium carnivores have been erected instead.
    This group of mammals wasn't represented in the park, at least for European species.
    Some pines, firs and shrubs have been planted in the enclosures, and wooden huts have been built as shelters, with off-exhibit boxes. There are also hollow logs used as hides by the animals, so they can be quite difficult to see.
    The animals can be seen behind large glass panels, while the top of the enclosures are netted.

The first two enclosures (23-24) have respectively 240 m² and 315 m² surfaces, they host European Wildcats Felis silvestris (1.2).
    The first enclosure host 2 females, and the male lives in the second.
    This trio of young cats should breed in the following years.

European Wildcat :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : robreintjes)

Possible look of the Wildcat enclosure :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : snowleopard)

The two other enclosures (25-26) are smaller, with 160 m² and 145 m² surfaces, and are the home of a smaller and even more elusive species, the European Pine Marten Martes martes (1.2).

Like for the cats, the first enclosure hosts the females, and the last the male.

European Pine Marten :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : MagpieGoose)

Possible look of the Pine Marten enclosure :
    [​IMG]

Information has been put about the study programs of both species in the Forêt d'Orléans, not far from the Zoo.

The lower part of the former Ibex enclosure (27) remains, with its 3.740 m² surface, its walkthrough path, open to the public in summer months.
    Among the rock blocks and the (genuine) Alpine vegetation (coniferous trees, junipers, grasses, succulents...), we can see two species, a mammal and a bird :
    • Alpine Marmot Marmota marmota (4.7)
    • Rock Partridge Alectoris graeca (5.8)
    4.3 Alpine Marmots have left the Zoo in 2021, while the Rock Partridges come from their former aviary (now used by Common Snipes and Moustached Warblers).
    The pair of Rock Partridges have bred in 2021, producing 4.7 young birds.

Alpine Marmot :
    [​IMG]

Rock Partridge :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Therabu)

Alpine Marmot and Rock Partridge walkthrough enclosure :
    [​IMG]

I'll soon describe the next enclosures of the European Zone, beginning with the Continental Wetland Pond...

See you later !

Bengal Tiger, TheGerenuk and KevinB like this.
  14. Haliaeetus

After the Alpine section, we can see the large continental wetland enclosure (28), that have a 3.900 m² surface. Here there's a large pond with 2 islands designed for waterbirds breeding, plus a lush vegetation of reedbeds, willows... and a lawn used by some birds (mainly geese and ducks) for foraging.
    Two large pines offer perches and (as we hope) breeding places for the representents of the Heron family. There are also artificial metallic perching structures.
    The pond includes shallow and deeper areas, that can host a large diversity of birds.

Many species call this place home. The current inhabitants of the aviary are :
    • Dalmatian Pelican Pelecanus crispus (10.12)
    • Grey Heron Ardea cinerea (4.4), new species for the Zoo (even if it's a common resident bird everywhere in France)
    • Great White Egret Ardea alba (3.4)
    • Horned Grebe Podiceps auritus (0.2), new species for the Zoo and unique in European Zoos currently
    • Greylag Goose Anser anser (1.4)
    • Ruddy Shelduck Tadorna ferruginea (3.1), new species for the Zoo
    • Eurasian Wigeon Mareca penelope (2.3)
    With the departure of the White Storks, the formerly installed nesting platforms have been dismantled.
    Some species have recently left the collection : Great Crested Grebes, Mallards, Red-crested Pochards and Ferrugineous Ducks.
    There have been arrivals (3.2 Great White Egrets, 2.0 Eurasian Wigeons) and a few deaths (0.1 Greylag Goose, 0.1 Eurasian Wigeon).

The Zoo has finally recorded the hatching of two Dalmatian Pelican clutches, totalling 2.3 fledglings. Some of these birds could be part of further rewilding projects.

There's also a focus about the conservation and rewilding of the Danube Delta. Although it's a project supported by the Zoo for many years, the very recent actuality in Ukraine has driven the Zoo to provide extra support for the imperiled conservationists in this country.
    The Zoo organizes a collect for funds to support this cause, events with Ukrainian artists, and displays information panels about this topic.

Dalmatian Pelican :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Ituri)

Grey Heron :
    [​IMG]

Great White Egret :
    [​IMG]
    (Credts : Maguari)

Horned Grebe :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : ralph)

Greylag Goose :
    [​IMG]

Ruddy Shelduck :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Gavial)

Eurasian Wigeon :
    [​IMG]

Continental wetland pond :
    [​IMG]

The next enclosure (29) is the largest of the European Zone, with 7.265 m².
    It's the home of a herd of Red Deer Cervus elaphus (1.5).
    This place, mainly a large lawn with wooden fences, hasn't experienced any major changes, since its dwellers are hardy and native animals. There are a very basic stable, a pond, a bog and rotting stumps nearby to provide an enrichment and shelter to small local wildlife.
    The future arrival of other European ungulates (Wild Boar, Roe Deer, Wisent...), alone or in cohabitation with the Red Deer (if possible in ethological terms) is considered but hasn't happened yet.

Red Deer :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Therabu)

Red Deer enclosure :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : German Zoo World)

We can visit now the Mediterranean subzone of the European sector, befor leaving it.

The two former aviaries have been replaced by a large one (30), with 1.120 m² surface, and a mix of open Mediterranean shrub vegetation and a few large trees (poplars, ashes...). There are also nest boxes in trunks, and barren areas with gravel and sand.
    The landscape could look to the banks of a river of Southern France, like the Durance.

In this place, there are panels about the Mediterranean biozone (general information, not especially linked to the zoo) and the conservation projects supported by the Zoo for the conservation of a rare steppic zone in Southern France, the Plaine de la Crau.

A few species (Spotless Starlings, Lesser Kestrels...) have left the collection.

The species currently displayed are the following :
    • Eurasian Thick-knee Burhinus oedicnemus (4.1)
    • European Roller Coracias garrulus (1.1)
    • Common Hoopoe Upupa epops (4.4)
    • Eurasian Skylark Alauda arvensis (6.3), new species for the Zoo
    • Eurasian Golden Oriole Oriolus oriolus (4.3), new species for the Zoo
    The successful reproduction have happen among many birds in this aviary in 2021 : 3.0 Eurasian Thick-knees, 4.4 Common Hoopoes (1.1 young have already left the Zoo) and 3.0 Eurasian Golden Orioles.
    The young females of Eurasian Thick-knee (0.2) hatched in 2021 have also left the Zoo.

Eurasian Thick-knee :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : ro6ca66)

European Roller :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : ronnienl)

Common Hoopoe :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : wstefan)

Possible look of the Mediterranean aviary :
    [​IMG]

A nearby small aviary (31) of 50 m² is the home of a small bird very known as a pet, but still existing in the wild, the Island Canary Serinus canaria (1.4).
    4.0 birds have recently left the Zoo, it isn't planned to replace them as they are very common and not threatened birds, only a kind of curiosity.
    Nonetheless, the inner setting of the aviary has changed, with the plantation of a lush vegetation instead of the few branches and bare soil that existed previously.

Island Canary :
    [​IMG]

Inner view of the Canary aviary :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : wstefan)

I wil describe soon the last exhibits of the European Zone.

See you later !

15. Haliaeetus

The two last exhibits of the European Zone have been designed for reptiles of the Southern part of the continent.

The dens for snakes and lizards have been lumped in early 2021, to create a large (90 m²) mesa-like enclosure with large and flat stones, and moats with lush vegetation.
    The dwellers of this exhibit can be seen in the warm months (they remain in burrows, out of sight in winter) : they are Western Whip Snakes Hierophis viridiflavus (1.3), a new reptile species for the Zoo (the Aesculapian Snakes and the Ocellated Lizard have left the Zoo in 2021).
    The best place to see them is on the large stones under the sunshine.

Outside exhibits for reptiles (and European reptiles themselves) are rare in European zoos, so this natural-like exhibit is precious for the sensibilization of the public for reptile conservation.

Whip Snake enclosure :
    [​IMG]

We end this European Zone with a 300 m² pond (33), designed for European Pond Turtles Emys orbicularis (2.4).
    In this pond, there are many floating trunks and lotuses, that provide resting and hiding places for the turtles. The soil around the pond can be dug by the females, in order to lay eggs, of breeding happens (it's hoped for this year). Near the pond there are finally reedbeds and carex, to give a more natural aspect to the exhibit.
    The reptiles can easily be seen in the summer months by the visitors.

0.1 Turtle died in late 2021, she may be replaced in the near future.

The Zoo supports reintroduction projects of European Pond Turtles in places where they have disappeared (Alsace, Savoie...).

European Pond Turtle :
    [​IMG]

European Pond Turtle enclosure :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : German Zoo World)

I've finished the description of the European Zone !

I show you the map of this Zone with some animal pictures to end this part of the topic :
    [​IMG]

The next stage will be the North Asian Zone, that have experienced several important changes.

Stay in touch !

16. Haliaeetus

Hello,

it's now the time to start the description of the North Asian Zone, a large zone with subdivisions (Central Asian, Siberian, Far Eastern and Himalayan) but quite few exhibits.

General map of this zone :
    [​IMG]
    This zone begins near the Red Deer and Dalmatian Pelican exhibits, at the Three Continents Square (a place dedicated to temporary exhibits about wildlife and conservation).
    This year this triangular place (A) is used for a photo contest commemorating the 30 years of the European conservation program "Natura 2000".

The first animal exhibit is a very large aviary (1.350 m²) dedicated to birds of prey (1).
    This aviary is netted, with a "natural" decoration, a mostly grassy soil, rock blocks, many perches and a small pond ; here we can see Pallas' Sea Eagles Haliaeetus leucoryphus (1.1), a very rare bird both in the wild and in zoos (at least in Europe).
    A platform has been built in 2021 to help them breed in the future (it isn't yet the case, as the pair is young).

Possible look of the Pallas' Sea Eagles aviary :
    [​IMG]

The following exhibit is a large plain (2) of 1,6 ha surface, it's dedicated to steppe animals that live (at least partially) in the Central Asian steppes.
    It's mostly covered with grass, with a small pond and swampy vegetation in an area.
    The two parts of the enclosure are linked together by a "wildlife tunnel".
    An observation shelter has been built along the path, it's designed to see the animals with minimal disturbing.
    The night quarters of the animals (at least for large mammals) are caves in the Himalayan Rock, that I'll describe later.

This plain was formerly used for Onagers (Kulans), but the herd of these equids has recently left the Zoo. They have been replaced by Domestic Yaks Bos mutus f. grunniens (1.3) that have left the Himalayan sector.
    The herd includes a breeding pair, a young cow (born in 2020) and 0.1 baby born in 2021.
    0.2 females have definitively left the Zoo.
    The presence of this species, while domesticated, remains consistent with the theme, as the Yaks are numerous across Mongolian steppes, and prized by the nomads of this country.
    Some panels about the place of animals (both wild and domesticated) in Mongolian folklore more widely the culture of this country, largely influenced by the harsh steppe environment as well as shamanic and buddhist spiritualities, and poorly known by the Westerners (even if it has heavily influenced the whole Eurasian continent in the 2 last millenia), have been installed in the observation shelter.

The other species are birds (waterfowl) :
    • Whooper Swan Cygnus cygnus (3.4)
    • Bar-headed Goose Anser indicus (5.7)
    • Lesser White-fronted Goose Anser erythropus (5.3), new species for the Zoo
    • Baikal Teal Sibirionetta formosa (5.2), new species for the Zoo
    The Zoo has welcomed the recent arrival of 0.2 Whooper Swans, but the Demoiselle Cranes are gone.

It's hoped that the newly arrived waterfowl species will breed in the Zoo, especially the Lesser White-fronted Goose that is threatened in the wild.

Domestic Yak and baby :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : ralph)

Whooper Swan :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Daniel Sörensen)

Bar-headed Goose :
    [​IMG]

Lesser White-fronted Goose :
    [​IMG]

Baikal Teal :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Ituri)

I'll soon describe the next enclosures of this Zone.

Stay in touch !

Last edited: 19 May 2022
  17. Haliaeetus

Hello,

today we discover the next parts of the North Asian Zone.

The former Pallas Cats' enclosure (3) is now repurposed for another species (the cats have left the Zoo).
    This 700 m² netted exhibit has been densely planted with coniferous and broad-leaved trees, and hosts now a new Owl species, the Brown Hawk-Owl Ninox scutulata (3.1).
    This species is unique in European zoos (even it is quite common in Asian parks), and the uncommon size of the aviary (plus the lush vegetation) makes the sight of the owls quite difficult, even if these birds are among the most diurnal owls in the world.
    It's hoped that the owls will breed in next years ; a separation of the aviary in two parts and the arrival of 1-2 new females are considered to facilitate the breeding.

Brown Hawk-Owl :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Ding Lingwei)

Possible look of the Brown Hawk-Owls' aviary :
    [​IMG]

The following enclosure (4), with 3.045 m² surface, remains the home of a single Siberian Lynx Lynx lynx wrangeli (0.1), called GENIA. This enclosure mixes barren, grassy and bushy zones, plus some coniferous trees, stumps and a large hollow trunk that's the shelter if the cat.
    There are wooden platforms used to feed the cat ; the feeding sessions can be seen by the visitors nearly everyday.
    Large glass panels allow the visitors to see the Lynx, they are covered with raptor silhouettes to avoid the collision of birds (these animals are particularly abundant because of the lush vegetation of the sector, with plenty of berries and insects, following the ecological principles of the park).
    The import of a male to create a pair is considered, but hasn't happened yet.

The Siberian Lynx, a true (large) cat :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Arizona Docent)

Siberian Lynx enclosure :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Anton)

The following enclosure, called the Himalayan Terrace (5) is a large complex of 4.770 m² surface, used for Asian wild mountain ungulates. There are plateaus and terraces, grassy plains, also cliffs and steep rocky zones to allow the climbing behaviour of the goats and sheep.
    The night shelters are grottoes in the cliffs.
    A moat separates the enclosure from the visitor path.
    The enclosure can be separated in 3 for different reasons, linked to the animal behaviour or even the arrival of new species if they have special requirements.
    It has hosted Markhors, Bharals and Yaks in the last years but now these animals are gone.

The new species displayed here is the enclosure is the Mishmi Takin Budorcas taxicolor taxicolor (2.3).
    This newly arrived herd includes the males ZORRO and AKHON, and the females BATHILDA, CARINA and DANA.
    It's hoped that they would breed soon, even during this year.

Mishmi Takin :
    [​IMG]

Himalayan Rocks :
    [​IMG]

The next enclosures (6-7) are designed on the model of the Lynx enclosure previously described. They are separated but they can be linked together.
    There are mainly flat with small hills, lush vegetation and a pond in each enclosure.
    Some resting and feeding platforms are appreciated by the animals.
    Finally the animals can be seen by the visitors behind glass panels.

The enclosures are the home of Siberian Tigers Panthera tigris altaica (2.3), surely among the most loved animals of the park.

The first enclosure (4.715 m²) is the home of the female ANIA, plus 1.2 cubs born in 2021.
    The young tigers are called BARTOK, CLARA and DENITSA.

The second enclosure, larger (5.625 m²), hosts the male ALIOCHA that remains solitary, as Tigers do in the wild.

The most recent developments in Tiger conservation have been included in the new versions of the information panels (see the 2021 version of the topic).

Siberian Tiger :
    [​IMG]

Siberian Tiger enclosure :
    [​IMG]

After the Siberian subzone, we come in the Animal Nursery of the Zoo (B), obviously not restricted to North Asian species.

The map of the Animal nursery is displayed here : [​IMG]
    The visitor come in a corridor to see the different exhibits of this pavilion.

On a side a row of small terraria and aquaria (A) are used for fish, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates.
    On the other side four rooms (B-C-D-E) are used as hatcheries for birds : eggs and chicks can be seen behind large glass panels.
    Many birds can be seen along the year : primarily galliformes, birds of prey, rails, parrots and passerines with special requirements (climate, food...) or abandoned by their parents (it happens with young pairs that leave the eggs without caring of them).
    Sometimes some young mammals (primates, small carnivores...) can be seen there but it's very unfrequent.
    The last exhibit (F) is a large tank for young (but not newborns) Crocodilians, that breed often in the Zoo. Near of this tank there's information about the reproductive behaviours of the Crocs and relative species.

The reptile and fish nursery :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : MagpieGoose)

Bird Nursery :
    [​IMG]

After the Animal Nursery, we see the Pheasantry of the Zoo.
    First there were 7 avaries but now some of them are lumped in 3 larger exhibits with refurbished landscapes.
    It would be possible to separate some aviaries again, for the necessities of breeding or special requirements of the birds.
    The colourful birds displayed in these aviaries breed frequently.

The first aviary (8) has a 150 m² surface and hosts the following species :
    • Cheer Pheasant Catreus wallichii (1.1)
    • Hawfinch Coccothraustes coccothraustes (1.1), new species for the Zoo
    The soil is mainly rocky, with many shubs, small coniferous trees, rhododendrons and hazel trees.

Cheer Pheasant :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Mo Hassan)

The second aviary (9) is the largest, with a 360 m² surface.
    The vegetation looks like the first aviary's one, but there are different species of vines (including rare ones) on the walls and on the mesh.

We can see there the following species :
    • Swinhoe's Pheasant Lophura swinhoii (1.1)
    • Bohemian Waxwing Bombycilla garrulus (2.3), new species for the Zoo
    • Pine Bunting Emberiza leucocephalos (7.7)
    The Zoo has recorded the breeding of Pine Buntings in 2021, with 1.3 fledglings.
    1.0 additional bird has also rejoined the aviary last year.

Swinhoe's Pheasant :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : ISAO)

Swinhoe's Pheasants aviary :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : HOMIN96)

The last aviary (10) has also 150 m² surface, and hosts the following species :
    • Satyr Tragopan Tragopan satyra (1.2), new species for the Zoo
    • Daurian Redstart Phoenicurus auroreus (2.2), new species for the Zoo, unique in European zoos
    Satyr Tragopan :
    [​IMG]

Daurian Redstart :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : aardvark250)

Possible look of the Satyr Tragopans' aviary :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Bosjesman)

I add that many species have left the Zoo in 2021 : Mrs Hume's Pheasants, Blue-eared Pheasants, Silver Pheasants, Edwards's Pheasants (the young that hatched in 2020 went to breeding conservation centres in Singapore and Vietnam, for reintroduction purposes) and Yellow-browed Buntings.
    It's expected that the Edwards's Pheasants, formerly breeders in the Zoo (and currently an Extinct in the Wild species), would come back in next years.

I end my daily description with a large 4.810 m² enclosure (11) with plain, boggy and forest areas, and a pond with swampy vegetation.
    It displays a mix of mammals and birds, belonging to the following species of the Far East :
    • Père David's Deer Elaphurus davidianus (3.5)
    • Mandarin Duck Aix galericulata (4.3)
    • Baikal Teal Sibirionetta formosa (3.0), new species for the Zoo.
    Père David's Deer :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Jogy)

Mandarin Duck :
    [​IMG]

Père David's Deer enclosure (partial view) :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : ZooNerd1234)

In 2021, 1.0 Père David's Deer has left the Zoo, as 0.5 animals of the same species have joined the exhibit.
    The breeding of the species can be started in next years.

Conversely, the Taiga Musk Deer, formerly hosted in a part of the enclosure, have left the Zoo.

I add that the conservation programs for this species in its native range (Eastern China) are supported by the Zoo.

I will describe the last enclosures of the North Asian Zone in the next days.

Now you can comment the description, the enclosures and species, ask some suggestions...

Stay in touch !

Last edited: 27 May 2022
  18. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I never look at Speculative Zoo posts but the use of the term "Master Plan" here caught my eye. I can see that you put a great deal of thought into species and feel of each enclosure but this is not a Master Plan. This is a collection of animal enclosures. A Master Plan would have off-exhibit housing, a vet center, a service area, parking, etc. Not a single animal here can be taken inside for the night or taken off exhibit.
    You did the easy stuff. Can you expand your thinking to tackle the hard stuff?

Batto and Haliaeetus like this.
  19. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can I ask what you meant by the above in relation to the lynx? Genuine question.

20. Haliaeetus

Hello,
    I talk about off-exhibit housing if there's something special to say about.
    I talk also about the services to the visitors.
    Of course I must deepen some elements like the vet centre, and the botanical collection (it may be done in 2023...).
    I would talk even about other elements like the power supply or the treatment of the garbage and sewage (I've even got elements about it!).