Join our zoo community

Meanwhile, in Russia...

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Chlidonias, 20 Oct 2017.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

http://siberiantimes.com/ecology/ot...ised-walruses-fall-38-metres-to-their-deaths/

Around 20 beasts have surrounded Ryrkaypiy, with one bear cub trying to get into a house through the window.

The polar bears were attracted by 5,000 walruses that appeared this year at a special protection zone in Chukotka.

Many of the frightened flippered marine mammals fell off cliffs at Kozhevnikova Cape as they sought to flee the invaders.

Several hundred fell to their deaths, and the polar bears then ate the carcasses.

There are various photos on the link, including one explaining how the walruses came to be falling off cliffs! (That seemed very strange from the original newspaper report I read). Some other article I saw made it sound as if there was now no food and the polar bears were encircling the village, but the link above continues on to say:

'Now the walruses are gone, but about 20 polar bears remain practically next to the village,' he said.

'There is enough food for them (from the many fallen walruses), but several young bears approach to the houses out of curiosity.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was going to ask what were Walruses doing on the cliffs in the first place, but the photo shows how the herds are so big there is overspill back from the beach onto the higher ground behind. Amazing photo.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The first article I read (in an actual physical newpaper, but with no photos) put an image in my head of polar bears driving herds of walruses to their deaths in the same way as American Indians stampeding bison off cliffs. I had to find out more online to see how that would even be possible.

4. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And I thought I was living in a remote part of the world...^^

Thanks for sharing!

5. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well this is just... wow...

6. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I saw a similar story from Alaska in National Geographic Magazine some years ago. There was a place with flat slope on one side and steep cliff on another. Walrus climbed on the flat slope, saw other walrus down the cliff, and went straight down to their death.

Memo: don't keep walrus in mountain goat exhibits.

Coelacanth18 likes this.