Join our zoo community

Media Gallery: US State Sorting Suggestion

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by RatioTile, 8 Mar 2023.

1. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

I think it would be helpful if the media page for US zoos sorted them in folders for each state. Right now, the gallery having dozens of American zoos in alphabetical order is difficult to navigate, particularly if I'm planning a zoo trip and need to know which zoos are close to each other. Many states are larger than several European countries combined, and those countries have their own galleries.

Other very large countries, like Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, India, and Russia, could also benefit from having their zoos' media pages sorted subnationally, by state/province. Indonesia in particular would benefit from having zoos sorted by island. Would it be difficult to add this feature?

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree that this would be useful, as long as it is still possible to search for media from the US as a whole.

ifesbob and Neil chace like this.
  3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I agree that this would still be a useful feature to have in tandem with separate state folders.

It's also worth noting that currently this is very difficult to do. It would be nice to just click "United States gallery" and instantly search through all the subfolders at one time, but instead you have to individually select every subfolder from the drop-down. This can either be accomplished by clicking and drag-selecting - which has never worked for me, it screws up and starts skipping subfolders immediately - or select each one by one, which takes way too long with 900+ galleries to be useful.

4. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree that this would be extremely beneficial, especially given how many facilities are covered from the United States. Many US states are larger than most countries of Europe (both in terms of land and population), so if Europe is broken down into countries, I see no reason that the United States shouldn't be split into states, or at least regions to make the forum more manageable to navigate.

ifesbob and RatioTile like this.