Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne on Friday

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Monty, 15 Apr 2007.

1. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I spent most of Friday at the Melbourne Zoo with my wife an kids 3 & 5. I was disapointed to find how many of the species to be phased out are there and how few are left. I tried to take pictures of the species to be phased out as this may be my last chance to see them, but I did not do much of a job. The Pecaries were sleeping at the back of their yard when we arived but a lot of the cats were active. The Jaguar came up to the wire but I did not even have my camera out so missed the shot and the puma did the same. The clouded lepard and others were sleeping almost out of site and a couple of others I could not see. There was a lone Mained Wolf pacing the back of his enclosure.

The baboons where interesting and very active. The Gorilas were a long way from the viewing areas but were then fed and we had a good look at a few while they were eating in the viewing areas of their night den. Ringo was quite visable and I was suprised to see how many people were fans and were doing all they could to see or photograph him in the areas we could see past the bamboo.

There was only one pigmy hippo but he was active and swam past the underwater viewing area several times and then wandered around near the viewing area where I got some good photos.

The Spider monkeys, white cheaked gibons and other monkey species were all active and visable and there were a lot of people looking at them.

There was ment to be tiger cubs and their mother on display but I could only see one adult tiger I believe was the male pacing one side of the enclosure. The elephant area was very popular and had other related displays. Due to the crowds I went through there quickly and did not take any photos. The male Bong SU, I think, with the large but cut off tusks was in one pen on his own and was bigger than I thought Asian Elephants were. The young females had keepers in with them and were painted bright patterns with chalks I believe.

The Orangatang enclosure was also very popular and crowded so I did not stay there long. There was one small one playing around right at the glass but the rest were up high, but moving about.

The African Hunting Dogs were just sleeping in the shade. There seemed to be only three male lions and they were sleeping near the fence, One got up and walked right past us along the fence which my kids enjoyed.

The small cats had just been fed and all except the Goldern cats were visable and eating. I talked to some staff who were looking at the cats and they told me those species were prety much all to be phased out. They seemed dosapointed with this but did not actually say that. There was one Biratong (forgot how to spell it) on display next to the small cats.

The Native area with Kangaroos and Walabies was very baren and looked drought efected, maby they actually ment it to appear this way. There was also a few sleeping wombats on the wombat area.

The great filght avery was good. The only thing I did not like was I could only see a lone Apossle Bird. They are a social flock bird and I have about 50 around my house and they are very entertaining. One on his own was strange and I tried to find a staff member to see if there used to be more and wether they were going to get more or wether I had just missed the rest.

The butterfly house was also crowded but my kids liked it once I convinced them I was joking about the butterflies biteing them. I was trying to make sure my kids did not try and catch any.

I unfortunatly missed the reptiles as my kids were having a bit of a tantrum at the time we passed it and I did not get back. Before we left we went back past the larger cats to try and get some pictures, but the were all sleeping out of sight. The pecaries though were active and I got a picture of the two that were there. The other popular exibit which my kids liked was the Meir cats which are always popular.

That summed up most my day, but I am sure to have forgoten something.

2. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Heu Monty
    you have apostles around your home?
    I used to see flocks where I live but there haven't been any for ages, nhoy since the last cattle fields near me were subdivided for housing. I miss them (and thewrens, finches and various other birds that have disapeared since suburbia took over)

3. Monty

I have heaps of Apostles on my place. I have about 10 acres of Murray pines in front of my house they always nest in. A couple of years ago a wildlife survey was done over this area and there is a strip which my farm is in where they are very common. 10 km either side they are rare.

4. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

monty, it sounds like you were in such a stress about avoiding the crowds, you missed the best parts! they are busy for a reason...

but of course dude i know what kids are like. you just have to get over any expectations of seeing anything YOU want to see and just kick back and be content to spend all day at the meerkats. ;)

5. Monty

The only realy crowded parts were the Elephants and the Orangs. I had a quick look but did not stay in those areas long. I think those animals will be there a long time and was more concerned about seeing those animals which will probobly not be there next time I go.

6. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Hey Monty, I'm curious to know how you worked out which species are to be phased out from Melbourne. Was it just through speaking with keepers at the zoo?

7. Monty

Mainly from this site. I also asked some keepers about the small cats and they confirmed what I have read here. The keepers said they were not breeding most species and once they died that would be it.

I think it is planned to keep Snow lepards, lions and tigers. That is about it, except I asked about the Servel as I thought they had bred recently and they said the Serval was doing well, it may stay as well. Bobcats, Goldern cats, Jaguars, Clouded Lepards and Puma seem to be all going. There were at least two fishing cats on display maby these are to be kept I have not heard.

The Pigmy Hippo appears to be on the way out. It has been put here that pecaries are on the way out.

Am I wrong with any of these?