Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne Zoo Developments

Discussion in 'Australia' started by patrick, 8 Jan 2006.

1. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

yes BOGANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who u knows me betta than me thinks, u know footy shorts, thongs and socks, country music, (no joke thts me in a nutshell)

2. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

lol. i was just waiting to see a bogan in an akoubra on zoo crew, but you didnt appear. lol
    im going to uni, im going to uni. im so happy

3. Zoo_Boy

where are you at, can i hve discount boos, im 18 soon, and which uni my mate she just got accepted to wagga to do animal science

4. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I thought bogans drank Oozo (Im not a bogan I dont know if I spell it right)

5. Zoo_Boy

bogans just drink full stop (and non-stop) hehe, i havnt drank so much ever than in the alst month or so, 1 say ive been to 10 parties, 4 get-togethas, and 2 hay lets get pissed for the sake of it's

dw i didnt drink at all those, im not an alcho

6. Coquinguy

yey good for her. between us, we'll be a fleet of animal conservationists. lol
    zoo boy, do you want to go to uni or are you gonna do tafe???

7. Coquinguy

christ mate, well im just about hit the beer and bubbly. maybe my posts will become a little slurred and my spelling, punctuation and grammar will go down hill. zoo boy, are you pissed now? lol

8. Zoo_Boy

both

ill b at mogo (ll goin to plan), doing tafe onsite, then move to dubbo for uni, doing captive vertebrate management, and hopefully working at dubbo. after that, work for a few more years, then travel for a 1 or 3. then settle down at a zoo, and have a family and ****.

im the only person out of all my mates who ha sthe next 10 years worked out, let-alone what they are doing next year after skool.

9. Coquinguy

well good on you. i think travelling is good, but in all seriousness stick to your uni plans.
    the captive management course sounded amazing. i wanted to do biodiversity and conservation, but had a last minute change of preferences to stay in newcastle. i was in sydney one day, on the train, and it just occured to me. i couldnt live in this **** hole for the next 3 years. ;)

10. Zoo_Boy

hahahahahaha thats why i would never work at taronga, i ahte sydney, the zoos are the only place i like.

yea i want to stick to it, ive changed what i want to do 3 times (all zoos, jst diff cources) first was doing canberra institue tech, then i thought of nothing cept tafe, jst diving straight into a zoo(yes i know sounds stupid) then i think i will stick to this one

so r u trying wen u finish for a job in a zoo.

11. Coquinguy

patrick, why arent you speaking? :) i know your old, and you probably need to get to bed, but your contribution would be valued ;) ;) ;)

12. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

sorry,

i love drinking too! once i drank so much i threw up in my own sleep! another time in high school i puked on my own head whilst standing up (and thats no easy feat - think about it..). then there was the time i threw up in my fishtank. you don't wanna know how many times i've woken up in bed with my shoes on. in thailand i woke up by the side of the road once with a stray dog licking my face. damn thai whisky...

oh and i almost forgot about xmas eve 1999 - woke up in backyard at about 3am in an enourmous puddle - i decided to have a little lie down whilst drunkenly watering the garden...

.......i'm not *@#%! old!

13. Coquinguy

lol

im just pissing myself laughing right now, lol. i know your not that old, 40 isnt old, its like the new 30.
    when are you going to the zoo next pat? and is it easy to get to weribee by train?

14. Zoo_Boy

lol jeeez we talk crap, 2morro every1 will think wht are they talkinga bout!!!! and bee on our backs (im guessing zoopro mainly, soz mate u seem like the authority figure) like my mate, he never drinks and watches if we break anything. i am yet to puke because i drinking, i actually pride my self, dnt matter wht i do, shots 10 beers and 3 cola and rums (all in 1 nite) i never do..

man i should show u da pics of me mate wen he was drunk jeez, he was bad, like ambulance bad, but funny still.!!!

15. Coquinguy

i think pat sounds like he'd be fun to see drunk. the worst ive done is get drunk in london, and i got half undressed on the tub station, left all my gear behind, and then racked up a huge international phone bill. the next day it wasnt just the hang over i was dealing with, i had no coat, no work uniform and had spent about fifty pounds in phone calls.
    oh yeh, and i went to the zoo, just to try and relate it back to the forum. lol

16. Zoo_Boy

HAHA

YEA ZOOS ARE KOOL, MAYBE EVEN KOOLER THAN RUM!!!! (serioeus they are, i jst love em and dedicate my life to em)

17. Coquinguy

lol, that was a good link. wouldnt it be great to do a backpacker adventure of european and american zoos?

18. Zoo_Boy

yea wanna go 2getha, i want to do american mostly, though germany has heaps of mad zoo exhibits, and hot shielas!!!!

19. Coquinguy

lol, youd know all about that ;) i liked the uk zoos, partly because they seem to get so much done on so little money. but then, its nice to go to zoos like taronga and melbourne where the developments are on a massive scale.

20. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

back to developments.....

if its okay with glyn and zooboy i'll turn this thread back on topic now..;)

i did a very quick zoo visit today (as most of my visits are these days) and thought i would give you an update.

in terms of construction, nothing was happening. no ground has been broken on the new coastal precinct and everything is much as it has been since my last visit. the main/largest orangutan enclosure was being worked on. i think they have been having problems with the water moat at the front. its been dry of water since shortly after opening and i'm guessing its been leaking. most of the orangs were thus off display. the simanags however were in the otdoor "mesh" enclosure (albeit without orang company), and were putting on a show. it still amazes me how these particular gibbon pair have been raised on islands (be it either at at dubbo or melbournes old saimang island) yet have totaly adapted to being within a meter from the crowd. the pair and their yound happily sat right in front of a crowd of visitors play fighting, cuddling and engaing in other forms of family politics. siamangs are damn big for gibbons too - almost reminiscent of a small chimpanzee and i can't think of a better species of gibbon that highlights quite so much the obviousness that they are indeed apes, not monkeys.

the only orang in view was in the indoor exhibit sleeping under a sheet, but it didn't seem to matter since everyne was just happy watching the siamangs!

the elephants seem to be still settling in really well. dokkoon and mek kapah were together in the bull paddock, clearly the two oldest cows are developing a very strong bond. some nearby workmen were making quite a bit of noise and the two of them preceeded to stand side by side and trumpet, rumble and generally make a huge fuss of the issue. i thought it was interesting because whilst i have often obsevered the new girls make a fuss of just about anything, mek kapah has until their arrival always seemed not particuarly phased by much. if i didn't know any better i'de say shes copying them..

new thai flags adorn posts outside the main cow barn. each one is devoted to a separate elephant with a different colour, photo, name, meaning of their name in thai or malay and a little bit about the individual elephant and how to identify them.

a very nice touch.

and of course the reason i visited - the tiger cubs. probaly the most action i have ever seen in that exhibit! binjai was out with her three cubs and was feeling very playful. she would run around the exhibit and trigger the cubs into chasing her and would then happily roll around and play fight with them when they "caught" her. what can i say? cute of course.

the only other "cute" experience worth mentioning was a seeing all four binturongs sleeping together in a row. awww.