Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jambo, 24 Jan 2020.

1. babirusa101

babirusa101 Well-Known Member

I just visited Melbourne Zoo today and want to give an update on the Treetop Apes & Monkeys trail. The exhibits are as follows:

Window 1 (Right): Currently holds all the Cotton-top tamarins. Signs for Tieu the White-cheeked Gibbon are still shown.

Window 2 (Left): Holds Black-handed Spider Monkeys. Six of them I believe.

Window 3 (Left): This is the old enclosure for the Spider Monkeys and is currently empty.

Window 4 (Right): This is another view for the Cotton-top Tamarin's enclosure. This time, they have updated the signs and there are signs for the Cotton-top Tamarins.

Window 5 (Right): Signs show Eastern Black and White Colobus Monkeys are held here, but none are to be seen and the enclosure is empty.

Window 6 (Right): Again, there are signs showing for the Eastern Black and White Colobus Monkey, but there are none to be seen and the enclosure is empty

Window 7 (Right): This enclosure holds the White-cheeked Gibbons pair. There is still a rope at the front of the window to help the gibbons adjust to visitors.

Window 8 (Left): This was the most exciting enclosure as I first thought that the exhibit was empty. There were no signs on either side of the viewing windows and no signs of movement. However, just as I was about to leave, I spotted two small bodies similar to a Cotton-top Tamarin hiding. One of them suddenly began to run towards the window and it turned its face to reveal that it was an Emperor Tamarin!! Finally on display. I managed to get a quick picture of one of them. They are only two of them to be seen.

Window 9 (Left): Currently empty. Shows signs of Crimson-bellied Parakeets and has a sticker on the window saying, "Something exciting coming soon."

I wonder why they kept the Colobus Monkeys off display, it seems like they are renovating many of the enclosures. Currently, there are now 4 empty enclosures and 4 occupied enclosures. Also, the gibbon pair looks set to move out of their exhibit soon, bringing the total of empty exhibits to five. Maybe, there are going to bring in some new species soon, perhaps the Golden Lion Tamarin?? We'll just have to wait and see...

Attached Files:

Last edited: 6 Jun 2020
  2. babirusa101

More Updates on Renovations at Melbourne Zoo (some already mentioned before):
    • The island that was filled with Australian White Ibises next to the Orangutan enclosures has been cleared out. A path has been created leading towards the island, but there has been no construction and there is just dirt ground.
    • The enclosure next to the pygmy hippo has been drained out and the Koi Carp have been moved back to the Japanese Gardens.
    • The Red Pandas that were held in the exhibit along the path leading to the Japanese Gardens, (the main Red Panda exhibit), have been moved to the second Red Panda exhibit next to the Old Elephant enclosures. The main Red Panda exhibit is currently being used for the Dinos at the Zoo event. The second Red Panda exhibit is often overlooked, in my opinion. I wonder how many people actually go to this area. They also have an African Grey Parrot exhibit next to the second Red Panda exhibit, but it was empty.
    • The Plains Zebras and Giraffe enclosures have been connected once again, allowing the two species to roam between the two areas.
    • The new Reticulated Pythons exhibit next to the Lions is currently being renovated.
    • The Sumatran Tiger exhibit was also being renovated, and keepers were installing a sort of zip line to the enclosure from the viewing platform, maybe as a way to send food down?
    • The Ruffed Lemur exhibit is empty.
    • The path leading from the Southern Hairy-nosed Wombats to the Kangaroo Island Kangaroos and Emus has been closed. You must walk all the way back through the Aviary and take the other path going down from the Koala exhibits.
    • The Blue-winged Kookaburra exhibit in the Growing Wild trail is still being renovated.
    • The left Orangutan enclosure has been greatly changed to hold the likely Siamang family. At the Japanese Gardens area where the Siamangs usually are, the Siamangs were nowhere to be seen.
    • The area on the right of the Red Pandas and just before the Japanese Gardens that is usually closed and has a small bridge and path is now being used for the Dinos at the Zoo event.

Attached Files:

3. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for the update of the Tree-top Apes and Monkeys area. After much discussion whether they were or were not still at the zoo, it's good to see that the Emperor Tamarins are on-display now.

Jambo, babirusa101 and kiwimuzz like this.
  4. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Spider Monkeys have access to the third exhibit @Kynan. I saw them in there when I visited last week. They were probably just choosing to be in the second enclosure.

I also saw the pair of Black and White Colobus. So, I don’t think they’ve been moved, they were probably just indoors.

Also, that’s great news re. Emperor Tamarins. I didn’t see them on my last visit, but I hope i’ll see them next time!

5. Jambo

Yes, I saw this, it would be interesting to see what they are going to use this for, though I agree with you; a new way of delivering food likely.

It’s being renovated, but there was a Kookaburra in the enclosure when I visited.

I saw all three Siamangs on my visit last week, and the Kemala (2018) is growing fast!

6. babirusa101

Yes, the kookaburras have always been in the enclosure, however, every time I visit, there is a sign blocking the entrance saying they are doing maintenance. Wonder what's taking them so long?

7. babirusa101

Yes, that's what I thought, that they were just somewhere else and not actually being moved.

8. Jambo

I’m not sure. It’s a mystery to me. o_O The part that’s closed is just the walkthrough area, that I believe was meant for Mara, who haven’t been in there for ages. It’s a rather small enclosure, but maybe another species would be suited for it? What do you think?

9. babirusa101

I really don't know what species would fit in this enclosure. Melbourne Zoo doesn't look like they're going to import any new species in the near future and I don't think any current species would fit the enclosure. Also, we know for sure that Patagonian Maras won't be coming back, as they have already phased the species out.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. Jambo

Yes, the Mara’s won’t be returning. That’s for sure. I’m not sure what species would fit either; I would say maybe a species of small wallaby, but the enclosure’s rather small for them even. It’s a shame Growing Wild didn’t turn out as I had anticipated; they never managed to include the animals that they had said they would, such as Tree Kangaroo.

I also agree re. MZ not importing any new species in the near future. I would love to see Asian Short Clawed Otter in the first Pygmy Hippo exhibit (currently empty). Maybe the otter pups could move in there when they get older, if they’re not wanted elsewhere in the region. I always thought Philippine Crocodile would be a good fit too.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2020
  11. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

When I contacted the zoo only a few months ago (back in April), their male Philippine Crocodile, Luzon (1998) was still alive and well.

Jambo likes this.
  12. Jambo

Yes, my mistake. He resides in the Reptile House, next to one or two Freshwater Crocodile. As I said, he would make a great fit in the first Pygmy Hippo enclosure, and it would be cool to see one in there.

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  13. babirusa101

Although having aquatic species such as otters and crocodiles in the first pygmy hippo enclosure would be cool, it looks like they are trying to redesign the enclosure to fit a land mammal as they have already gone through all the trouble to drain out all of the water. It would be unusual if they were to drain out all the water and then suddenly fill it back up again. Maybe, they are going to move in one of their existing species such as the peccary, which have been in this enclosure before.

Jambo likes this.
  14. Jambo

Yes, but they’ve drained the water many times before. It will be interesting to see what goes in there next, but of course, it’s likely to be a species already at MZ. Semangka the Malayan Tapir would also be a good fit, but they would need to increase the land space. It would be a shame if Peccary were to move in there again, as the enclosure is rather small for them, but then again, since it’s Melbourne, it’s highly predictable.

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. babirusa101

Do you really think that the enclosure is too small for the peccaries? I think its quite large if they just made the water section into land. As for the tapir, I think its current enclosure is a better option than this enclosure because its current enclosure has much more shade. The Malayan Tapir needs shade and if it were to be in the pygmy hippo enclosure, then they would need to install a lot more shade because write now its pretty bare.

16. Jambo

Does anyone know if MZ still has Goodfellows Tree Kangaroo, off display?

Yoshistar888 likes this.
  17. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Yes they do

18. babirusa101

Reply from Zoos Victoria:

"The Goodfellow's Tree-kangaroos are all off display at Melbourne Zoo (you can see one from the function room next to the elephant Cafe area but obviously we don't have any functions running at the moment.) They are on display at Healesville Sanctuary if you'd like to visit them there."

Tafin, Jambo, Kifaru Bwana and 2 others like this.
  19. babirusa101

After doing a bit of research, I have just realised that the Emperor Tamarins have always been kept in a private exhibit in the Rainforest Room Function Centre and that some or all of the Tree-kangaroos have always been kept in a private exhibit in the Bong Su Function Centre. Not sure if anyone knew of this beforehand but its interesting that they keep some species in private exhibits. Maybe they are only moving the emperor tamarins to the Treetop trail temporarily until they can make use of their function centres again.

20. Jambo

It’s good to know all of that for the future. :) It would be cool to see them on display at MZ, though; instead of having to pretty much pay extra to see them. They were originally planned to be featured in the Growing Wild precinct, but they never ended up there. If the White Cheeked Gibbons do move, as expected; Tree Kangaroos could possibly replace them.