Join our zoo community

Midwestern/Great Plains Zoo Road Trip

Discussion in 'United States' started by GraysonDP, 10 Feb 2017.

1. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

This May I am graduating from college (I'll be receiving a degree in English from a college in Ohio) and to celebrate I am going on a six-day road trip from Ohio to Nebraska to see several marquee zoos. The confirmed destinations are:

Stop #1- Indianapolis Zoo

Stop #2- Saint Louis Zoo

Stop #3- Kansas City Zoo

and finally...

Stop #4- Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo

This is my first time visiting any of these zoos and the expectations are quite high. I expect most of them (Omaha and Saint Louis for sure, Kansas City a bit less so and Indianapolis a bit less than that) to quickly become some of the very best I have seen and to have many of the best habitats I have seen for many different species. I will be documenting this road trip in a similar style to the way Snowleopard did with his road trips in 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012 with complete reviews evaluating every exhibit found at each institution. Also, hundreds of photographs will be taken at each zoo and posted in the galleries. In particular, I will try to spend much time talking about and photographing the exhibits not given a few review yet on zoochat (African Grasslands, Polar Bear Point, Helzberg Penguin Plaza, the infamous "modern church" aka International Orangutan Center, Polar Bear Plunge, Orangutan Canopy, River's Edge expansion.) A few questions: What would zoochatters like me to find out or pay special attention to on my visits? Will Grizzly Ridge be opening at Saint Louis in time for my visit (My trip will be the week of May 21-27)? Are there any smaller zoos worth stopping by on the way?

2. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This will surely hold me over until snowleopard's California roadtrip! Excited to see you document your mini trip. I as well will be paying a visit to Omaha in the Summer. If you could get more photos of the African Grasslands complex it would be much appreciated. While I'm on the topic of Omaha and the African grasslands, has the bull elephant made his debut yet?

3. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation!
    This sounds like it will be quite the trip to celebrate. Having visited Omaha, Kansas City and St Louis twice in the last couple of years (and Indianapolis once) I am sure you will have an amazing time.
    I look forward to your reviews and photographs.

4. GraysonDP

Also this July I will be moving to the Washington DC area to serve in Americorps. What small to medium-sized zoos somewhat accessible by public transit would people recommend?

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I'm already looking forward to your reviews! Omaha and Saint Louis I would perhaps have as the #2 and #3 zoos in the nation...just behind San Diego and just ahead of places like Columbus and the Bronx. I'm sure that you will love both Omaha and Saint Louis as both zoos have built a tremendous number of modern, fantastic exhibit complexes in the past couple of decades plus Saint Louis has some wonderful historic buildings.

Kansas City Zoo is a little hit-and-miss in sections near the entrance, but further into the park is the glorious, 95-acre African zone. I had a phenomenal experience watching the large troop of chimpanzees in their 3-acre forested habitat back in 2010 and in fact almost the entire African section is world-class. Indianapolis Zoo is one I've actually been to on three occasions and again there is a great African section at that zoo....although I'm intrigued to learn what you think of the "Red Ape Church". :)

6. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited the elephant winter quarters this afternoon. Only the 5 cows were in the herd room. Usually you can see Warren (bull) in the back holding areas, but was not visible today. To my knowledge, he has not made his debut and I have not heard any updates on his foot in several months.

pachyderm pro likes this.
  7. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I think I have a pretty good idea what Grayson's idea of the Red Ape Church will be... I have mixed feelings about it myself.

I hope you enjoy Saint Louis, @GraysonDP. Based on your interests and preferences, I have a strong feeling that you'll really like River's Edge, as well as Penguin & Puffin Coast :)

8. GraysonDP

Yes as a pachyderm fan I'm quite excited for River's Edge and Penguin & Puffin Coast and Sea Lion Sound look great too. I'm excited for Fragile Forest as well. Part of me wonders what I'll think of Polar Bear Point. As for the Red Ape Church I'm going to give it a chance and try to appreciate it. Do you know if Grizzly Ridge will be open in time for my visit? I'm curious how much of the master plan realized last year will come to reality.
    Have you been to Omaha and/or Kansas City?

9. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

@GraysonDP: I have not been to Omaha or Kansas City. Grizzly Ridge is supposed to open sometime mid-year, so it will probably be hit or miss whether its finished by your trip.

10. GraysonDP

So I can now confirm which days I will be at which zoos and would be happy to meet up with any zoochatters that happen to live nearby. If you're down to meet up please let me know. I will be shooting videos for the upcoming Zoophoria Youtube Channel and will be posting reviews of the zoo on my website Zoophoria as well as some thoughts on here.

May 22- Indianapolis Zoo
    May 23- Saint Louis Zoo
    May 24- Kansas City Zoo
    May 25- Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo

11. GraysonDP

The zoo road trip has started and I ended up paying a spontaneous visit to the Cincinnati Zoo, which I had previously visited in 2008 and 2009. Expect many pictures to be put up in the gallery, updates to be put in the thread and a review to come up on Zoophoria really soon.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  12. pachyderm pro

And were off!!! Looking forward to the reviews from your respective zoo visits.

13. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Zoophoria?

14. GraysonDP

My blog

15. pachyderm pro

16. drill

drill Well-Known Member

thank you