Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo news 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 1 Jan 2015.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zoo Update 7/30:
    Nothing much to report today from volunteering (although the guys at my other job there are starting to really razz me for volunteering as well as working at the zoo) But other than that, just a few things changed in the Aquarium and Reptile Center (ARC): A Brazilian Rainbow Boa is on exhibit temporarily until the Gaboon and Rhino Vipers return. It is a very beautiful snake, and I don't think the zoo has ever displayed one before (I know that some species in both the zoo's Aviary and Aquatic Reptile Center are usually kept off exhibit and sometimes rotated out with other species due to lack of exhibit space in the public area)
    An adult Ouachita Map Turtle and 3 adult Spotted Turtles have moved into an exhibit previously inhabited by a Western Fox Snake. Unlike the Rainbow Boa, this could be a new permanent home for the turtles because I believe the exhibit might have been slightly renovated to better suit the turtles' needs, but the only signage up about them is a picture and the species on a small paper tapped to the inside of the exhibit, and the signage for the fox snakes is still lit up. I would really like to see it become a permanent home for them, as not only do I personally love turtles, but I find that turtles are very under-represented in the building, as there are only a small number of them there. (Plus, these little turtles were just so darn cute!)
    Lastly, going way back to May when the Red River Hog confusion was going on, it turns out that the zookeepers did not cut down the trees in the exhibit before planting new ones in June. But in fact the red river hogs uprooted the trees again and again, and the zookeepers would replant and replant the trees until they gave up, took them out, and planted new ones with metal barriers around them to protect them from the uprooting river hogs.

3. Wild wolverine

4. Milwaukee Man

5. Milwaukee Man

A few observations I made while volunteering for the last couple weeks:

*In the Animal Health Center, we have a few new arrivals in quarantine: some include a male crested screamer, four rhino vipers, and a pair of Guam kingfishers. However, the most unique of these is a whooping crane-sandhill crane hybrid that the Zoo is calling a "whooping hill." Indominus Crane for a name anyone? (Jurassic World fever :rolleyes:)

*Our baby gorilla Sulaiman continues to adjust well to the outdoor and indoor exhibits, and is even starting to interact more with guests at the viewing windows. Speaking of gorillas, one of our two bachelor gorillas, Hodari, who has a history of anxiety, I've heard is starting to become braver and become much better adjusted to crowds and his surroundings.

*A few red chair-like objects were added to the outdoor siamang exhibit - probably for more enrichment opportunities.

*The red river hogs Mango and Radish continue to adjust well to Milwaukee; the last few times I've seen them they've been highly active, sprinting around their enclosure.

*The rhea have been no where to be seen over the last couple weeks.

*Recently, one of the Bactrian camels has been off-display. I've been told by other volunteers that it is one of the older females, and it's due to a leg injury.

*We have two red kangaroo joeys that are starting to emerge from their mother's pouches. I've been able to see one of the adorable joeys so far.

*Looks like we are down to one timber wolf and one Dall sheep now.

*The 2-month-old harbor seal pup, Siku, has been weaned and is out swimming with his parents and older bro.

*In the Small Mammals Building, the Goeldi's monkey trio are back in their original enclosure next to the lemurs. Their former exhibit next to the meerkats (where the golden-headed lion tamarin was originally) remains empty. What happened to the golden-headed lion tamarin I'm not sure.

*In the ARC (Aquatic and Reptile Center), the octopus exhibit (which has sat empty and drained the whole summer) is now filled with water, but seems to still be awaiting an occupant.

*The new parking lot looks to be nearly complete, and it looks like the foundations are beginning for the buildings in preparation for the new second entrance.

JVM likes this.
  6. Wild wolverine

Thanks for the updates, Milwaukee Man!

7. Milwaukee Man

No problem!

8. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do you have a picture of this hybrid crane?

9. Milwaukee Man

The bird is in quarantine at this time so not yet. But, I certainly will take some pictures once I get the opportunity to see it on display.

10. Milwaukee Man

11. csura999

csura999 Active Member

Nice article!

I love going to the zoo--especially as a Milwaukee native, but can't help to feel that after making trips to visit Brookfield Zoo and even seeing the Henry Vilas Zoo's new bear exhibits in the past week, that for as big and nice some areas of the zoo are, the Milwaukee County Zoo has a lot of outdated habitats.

I'm definitely glad that the otters are getting their new habitat next year as part of the new entrance way, though. Hopefully it's as successful as how the big cats and giraffes have had their exhibits updated in recent years.

12. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Adventure Africa request for proposals for design have gone out
    RFP Adventure Africa Elephant Exhibit

13. Wild wolverine

FINALLY!!!!! It's about time that they get started on these projects and raise awareness of what they are trying to do!

14. Milwaukee Man

A couple bits of news: first, the Aviary closed yesterday for roof repairs.

The Milwaukee County Zoo Aviary to Close Temporarily For Repairs | Milwaukee County Zoo

Second, on a sadder note, MJ the female orangutan passed away. :(

Orangutan dies at Milwaukee County Zoo

On a more positive note, I took the opportunity to look at the elephant exhibit document. Despite the loss of the Wolf Woods and moose exhibits (both of which are among the better exhibits in the Zoo), the plans sound great. Plenty of space, being able to hold several bulls, and even joining the trend of exhibiting other species alongside the elephants sounds really exciting, and more than likely will make this the highlight of the Zoo.

15. csura999

csura999 Active Member

16. Wild wolverine

Good to hear that it's a great plan that's finally getting somewhere! Did they say what species would be exhibited with them? :) Or if/where they would put the wolves and moose?

17. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A female Snow Leopard is due to travel from Zurich to Milwaukee later this year - other reports suggest a male will also be imported from Europe as a mate for her

Wenn die Jungmannschaft ausfliegt

18. Wild wolverine

Another article on the upcoming elephant exhibit.

BizTimes: Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin Business News | BizTimes

I'm no construction wise guy or anything, but it is strange to me that they are going to START in March 2017, and finish in April 2018. Unless they're working very very quickly, I don't see this happening. But its GREAT news for the zoo to FINALLY be starting this project!!! :D :D :D

19. Milwaukee Man

@wild wolverine: interesting point regarding the construction time line. Now to answer your earlier questions about the elephant exhibit:

According to the document, the species mentioned for a possible mixed-species display were mainly hoofstock, such as impala and gazelle; even the red river hogs were mentioned as a possibility. They also thought about including birds such as ostrich.

As for the wolves, brown bear, and moose: the bear and wolf are pretty old so I wouldn't be surprised if they were gone by the time construction came around. The moose are all about middle age (7 I believe to be exact), so I would imagine being moved to either a different zoo or another exhibit somewhere in the Zoo is what awaits them.

20. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member