Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo news 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 9 Jan 2016.

1. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. savetherhino

3. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interesting choice for a few reasons.

1. A female is interesting choice instead of another male they could have got for breeding.

2. What does this mean for Maggie the tapir? Will she be moved back to her old narrow yard?

Has Janine been on exhibit yet?

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does this mean Milwaukee will switch to eastern blacks?

5. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My thoughts exactly. I thought maybe for companionship for Mimi? But it doesn't appear to be what they're going to to. Maybe they'll bring in a male in the future? It confuses me a little bit.
    Also, while I'm glad to see another rhino at the zoo (especially a young one) I would be sorry for Maggie if she had to go back to her old yard. Several years ago (so I don't know if this is still true) a zookeeper told me that they can't even let Maggie out into the yard because the terrain in the pool is too rough for her feet? Something like that, so she is confined to a smaller off exhibit yard on nice days. It's a shame really, but I digress.

6. savetherhino

The article says that there are manly eastern blacks in American zoos so that subspecies is easer to get. And that Josie will be in quarantine inside for 30 days and then go outside if the weather is warm enough. most likely she will get outside in spring. Breading with her may be a possibility in the future.
    The Zoo tried to breed with Mimi but with no success
    White Rhinos are social, but Black rhinos are predominantly solitary, the most commonly observed groups being lone males or adult females with young. Animal Info - Black Rhinoceros

7. pachyderm pro

Boy do I have news for you. Just got back from Wisconsin.

First of all, The black bears were off exhibit today, why? There where about a dozen people in the exhibit today, because major construction was going on. New plants, a new tree, and a climbing platform where all being built.

On to the big news. The new elephant exhibit should break ground... THIS MONTH!!! This is pretty crazy. I was not expecting a ground breaking so soon. However I have some sad news. The Australia building will most likely come down with the wolf and moose exhibits. More good news though, A separate hoofstock yard will also be featured. The exhibit is expected to be completed in 2018. After the elephant exhibit is complete, the hippo expansion will begin. It will take up the bongo yard. However the bongo will be moved to the new hoofstock yard in the new elephant exhibit. The underwater viewing will be like the seal underwater viewing, and will kinda slope a little. More news. The rhino expansion will include adding white rhinos in the old elephant exhibit. New rhino Janine seems to have settled in nicely and was snaking on hay during my visit. Mimi had access to both yards. For the first time during my visit, Maggie was awake, but indoors. Wild wolverine was right, Maggie only can go into a off exhibit yard due to foot issues.

Lastly, the new entrance should be starting up again soon.

8. savetherhino

So Happy About Rhinos as they are my favorite animals.

9. Wild wolverine

More info on the tiger cubs, it’s two girls and a boy! The tiger cubs will be two months old on Monday! They should be on public view by the end of November

10. csura999

csura999 Active Member

Per my visit yesterday: The sandhill cranes that once inhabited the moose exhibit have moved in with the cariobu.

11. Wild wolverine

Looks like they're actually going to make this construction happen. I have to admit, I had my doubts that it would be starting before next spring. Are the moose still in the exhibit? Or have they all been moved now?

12. pachyderm pro

I'm pretty sure 2 females are still there.

13. csura999

csura999 Active Member

I only noticed one moose when I went. Maybe the other one was off in its shelter towards the back of its habitat.

It's so exciting that it finally appears to be happening! Just will be a shame to lose the moose, though.

14. pachyderm pro

And the wolfs... and the tree kangaroos...

15. Wild wolverine

I visited the zoo today and have just a few updates.
    -The caracal exhibit is still empty, so I think pachyderm pro was right and that she's no longer with us.
    -The brown bear exhibit is now empty, and Boris is now going to be alternating exhibit time with the American black bears. I'm not sure I like this idea very much, but maybe that's just because I like the black bears a lot.
    -The moose have now also been removed from their exhibit. Groundbreaking is said to be later in November for the elephant exhibit so we shall see.
    -Little progress on the new west entrance. Some, but little.

16. pachyderm pro

So I assume that the lone wolf and dall sheep are still there? I am glad there at least keeping one animal (Sandhill cranes)

How old is Boris?
    Did you get any info on the new exhibit?
    What progress is being made for the new entrance/otter exhibit?

Man, its hard to imagine where less than 10 days away from a possible ground breaking. This exhibit should finally give the zoo a outstanding exhibit, something long over due. As well as a better reputation on zoochat, as its heavily criticized (Mostly for good reason) by some members (I'm looking at you Snowleopard)

17. pachyderm pro

Oh and any more black bear exhibit renovations?

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any plans available for the to be new hoofstock yards and what species will be part of this (apart from the bongo)?

19. pachyderm pro

20. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member