Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo news 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by MKE Zoo guy, 2 Jan 2018.

1. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That question has been swimming around inside my head for years, I wish I could tell you. The only possible answer I can come up with is maybe two family groups/generations? Maybe the parent generations are kept in one building, and their offspring are moved to another to be matched an bred?

MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have wondered this question too. My guess is that they are two different troops that came from two different locations. They would get territorial if the zoo tried to introduce them into the same exhibit. That's my guess anyway. No idea if it's true or not.

Wild wolverine likes this.
  3. birdsandbats

What happened to the meerkats?

4. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No longer at the zoo. They left last fall.

5. birdsandbats

Where did they go?

6. pachyderm pro

Unaware, wherever they went it’s probably miles better than their old accommodation.

MKE Zoo guy and birdsandbats like this.
  7. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Bongos, elephants, jaguars, black bears, oh my. The zoo was busy today with serval animals I haven't seen since last fall. It was exciting also exciting to see that the elephant barn now has gone vertical. Several walls were going up and several more were waiting to be installed in the parking lot. Along with the elephant barn I forgot to include about the primates renovations that is on going. The colobus exhibit looks like its nearing completion while the outside work continues. Can't wait for the weather to stay warm!

8. pachyderm pro

Excellent news! How is the Otter exhibit and West Entrance coming along?

9. MKE Zoo guy

They have the whole exhibit under foggy plastic so you can’t see much. As for the site itself it’s mostly finished.

10. MKE Zoo guy

The dwarf mongoose with three legs seems to be not part of the exhibit, the signs gone explaining about her three legs.

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. pachyderm pro

Today was my first visit to the zoo in 5 months. It was a fine visit, however I had made two very bad mistakes. For one, I forgot to charge my camera so I had to resort to IPhone photography. And two, it was an unexpected free day, which resulted in awful crowds making some areas impossible to navigate. Seriously, who thought free days were a good idea?

Anyways, construction continues throughout the zoo. The elephant barn walls should all be up by next week and they look quite good. They also started construction of a wall by the area where the pool is going to be, not quite sure what it is yet though. Also, the dall sheep exhibit is officially closed as it is no longer accessible to the public. I assume the lone specimen passed away recently.

Meanwhile, in Primates of the World, colobus monkey renovations continue. I'm disappointed that the indoor portion is nothing more then some new logs and branches, however there is a new development in the outdoor section. A new outdoor exhibit is being built right next to the current siamang exhibit. You can't quite see it from the main pathway, so I did a little rule breaking and snuck around the barrier to get a photo. Also, to my surprise the mandrills and siamangs are still on exhibit despite what a sign in the area and the zoos website says.

Lastly, the otter exhibit and west entrance are just about complete. The otter exhibit is under a massive tarp right now, but otherwise once the finishing touches are on, the exhibit should be opening before Memorial day weekend to begin a new path for the MKE zoo in the form of the start of the master plan. Very excited for this one.

I also saw several new arrivals. The mouse-deer, agouti, serval and American avocets were all out and about and were a joy to watch. Shame I missed the eyelash vipers but the Reptile and Aquatic center was way to packed for proper viewing. t's great to see so many new species join the collection. Additionally, I received word that multiple new species will be added to the aviary throughout the year. Exciting times!

12. drill

drill Well-Known Member

What species of mouse deer?

13. pachyderm pro

Malayan

14. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Greater or Lesser?

15. pachyderm pro

Greater

16. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Thank you.

17. birdsandbats

A North American River Otter named Moe is arriving from an unnamed Montana zoo. Two other otters coming from the same place will arrive at the Ochsner Park Zoo in Baraboo.

Baraboo zoo acquires otters

18. MKE Zoo guy

When does milwaukee start getting their otters? Also where did the otters we used to have go after they closed down their exhibit in the small mammals building?

19. pachyderm pro

The last otter past away at the beginning of 2016, and the other one the year before.

20. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From the Ochsner Park Zoo's facebook page:
    "Our boys [the otters] will be heading to Baraboo in the weeks to come. They are from a group of 1 year old triplets (the third is heading to the Milwaukee Zoo to get acquainted with their new females just in time for their new otter exhibit opening in May) born at ZooMontana."
    So apparently, Milwaukee has female otters heading its way, along with Moe, the male!

pachyderm pro likes this.