Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by MKE Zoo guy, 4 Jan 2019.

1. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

birdsandbats and MKE Zoo guy like this.
  2. James Krasting

James Krasting Well-Known Member

I think the new baby animal from the Instagram post is a baby otter... any ideas if that could be right?

savetherhino likes this.
  3. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know Georgia Aquarium has Sea otters

4. savetherhino

Could be an otter

5. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wasn't counting aquariums, just regular zoos.

6. savetherhino

I understand

7. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. savetherhino

From my Zoo visit:
    -Impala plains had only 2 zebras today.
    Watering hole had a zebra, stork and 2 female impala.
    -Ziggy and baby boy were able to be seen in the Indoor giraffe barn. The other 5 were outside. Kazi, Ziggy's 2nd boy might be leaving soon.
    -Not sure if it's been said but the baby Camel is a boy named Jethro born May 7th.
    - New fish graphics were on the outside of the Lake Wisconsin exhibit showing the size of the fish and when they were cought.
    - The piranhas look much better in their exhibit next to the ciclids.
    Zoo only has 4 seals
    Happy the hippo was in the old Indoor elephant exhibit

9. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh you were there too today? I got to see the foster chick from a distance. Also I watched the parks Birds of Prey show so I got to see that the zoo has a Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Eurasian Eagle Owl, Barn Owl, Harris Hawk, Red Tailed Hawk, and Bald Eagle

10. savetherhino

I was there today

11. Wild wolverine

12. PocketCookie

PocketCookie Member

A few notes from my quick trip today,

- The baby giraffe was outside today
    - The two Zebras were the only animals in the Impala plains yard, which makes me wonder if they don't get along well with the other species
    - The Whooping crane exhibit is still blocked off, but you could easily see into the exhibit from the pathway and see the foster "chick" (It is quite large now)
    - Some of the covering on the old elephant habitat was removed and I was able to see one of the River Hogs, no clue how long that will last with construction looming
    - As for Hippo construction, left of the snow leopards there was a section is behind construction fencing. I believe the area that is fenced is allowing construction to reach the old bongo winter holding.

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is a known quantity that zebras do not get along well with .. say wildebeest in enclosed spaces. They may be savannah look out staple, but not in too close proximity.

Is there already a newer map of Milwaukee Zoo with the Elephant redevelopment and the looming construction in old (and new Hippo Yards)?

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. James Krasting

Hey guys just went to the Henry Vilas Zoo in Madison today and realized how dramatically it has changed since I was a kid. That trip also made me think how different the Milwaukee County has become since I was a kid. Does anybody have things that they are reminded of when touring the zoo? Like anything that was completely different and amazes you how it could possibly change? Just a random question/thought....

Wild wolverine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  15. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I suppose I have some similar thoughts about Brookfield for when I was young. The zoo has made improvements, but I also just have so much nostalgia for pre 2010 Brookfield. Things just seemed such more more vibrant back then. Eating while watching baboons on the large island, the ibex mountain, watching a polar bear just into the old bear grotto pool while riding the tram, following an elephant along the fence and being in awe of its size, the zoos former mascot Cookie the cockatoo celebrating his birthday, the aardvark house and the list goes on and on.

Sadly, none of what I just said can be seen today. The ibex and baboon island have been destroyed (admittedly for the better), bear grottos have been fenced off (again for the better), elephants have left the zoo, Cookie has passed away, the aardvark house is permanently closed and many of my old favorites (congo buffalo, cassowary, hippos) are gone with no sign of return any time soon.

I have rambled on about my issues with Brookfield several times and this is the thread to do so. But to answer your question, I absolutely agree that it is quite interesting (and a little bit saddinig at certain times) to see how things have changed. Perhaps this topic should be a thread in it self.

JVM, StoppableSan and James Krasting like this.
  16. James Krasting

Yes exactly how I feel too. Henry Vilas and Milwaukee County(especially) have been my childhood zoos. They have obviously changed for the better and will continue to grow but I still always wish I had the chance to go back in time to see how much different they were. It’s so crazy and makes me kind of sad that those times have passed. Having certain animals leaving the zoo or passing away, new exhibits and remodeling of the zoos make it so much different and the memories are great!

Wild wolverine likes this.
  17. savetherhino

Baby giraffe has been named Desmond

18. Wild wolverine

I had a rather exciting zoo visit today, here are some updates.
    -Impala Plains is finally full-house! The ostriches, crowned cranes, and four female impala were in the exhibit today. I'm assuming that the zebra either don't get along with everyone or are still being introduced to some of the species.
    -The former hippo and bongo exhibits are completely gone, just mounds of dirt now. I must admit I'm astounded at how quickly they're working on this. I've gotten used to the zoo's slow construction pace, and I welcome this change in renovation speed. I will post pictures soon.
    -The highlight of my trip was elephants Brittany and Ruth coming right up to the edge of the outdoor yard and stripping bark off of branches and eating. It was a real treat to see them so close in their huge new outdoor home.

19. savetherhino

WISN 12 news piece on the hippo exhibit

20. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member