Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by MKE Zoo guy, 9 Jan 2020.

1. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's an excellent point that I had not thought of. Especially now that all the female impalas have moved to the new Impala Plains, it leaves just the male impala, the 3 gazelles (which I thought were supposed to be in Impala Pains as well?), the Ground Hornbills, and Cinereous Vultures. With the majority of those animals being birds, they don't really need the large yard. Even if a new hippo beach only took up 1/3 of impala country there'd still be enough room for all animals.
    As for the bland concrete above the underwater viewing widows, I honestly thought the guests wouldn't be able to see the exhibit from that angle, but that's not the case. Maybe they'll add something to it as finishing touches?
    The exhibit looks nice, but as pointed out, there is a lot of potential to be better. That is disappointing to see for the second new exhibit in a row.

2. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Probably my main issue is the fact that the indoor facilities are way too small and outdated to house hippos in a northern climate. Zoos need to do a better job of making sure their animals have similar welfare if they are kept indoors for a significant portion of the year such as in Milwaukee. Hopefully they address that in the next phase although I wouldn’t hold my breath as the first two haven’t quite held up to expectations although they are miles ahead of where they were. Funny enough I think phase 1 went for function over form where it is well put together for the herd dynamic Milwaukee plans on having but kind of an eye sore while phase 2 will be nice for the guests but not near ideal for the animals. I feel this matches the trends for new exhibits in the past decade for both species though and Milwaukee failed to do anything innovative with either phase which is disappointing.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What I would like to add: whereas I do applaud the improvements at Milwaukee, an almost bland lack of holistic approach to the process of renovation appears in evidence. If you build for hippo you think about both animal welfare, keeper facilities, minimum breeding and holding facility requirements, visitor experience and overall appeal of the attraction. Yet, one also takes into account the other animals you are maintaining on the very site or close to where you envisage or have planned on building your hippo exhibit. That seems to have been forgotten????

BTW: the cinereous vultures are a breeding pair and that in itself is a precious thing. Not sure about your gazelles - what species? -. Ground hornbills are also a species of conservation concern. The impala male should clearly not have been there when the whole group got relocated to the African elephant area, would it not? You cannot just take these out of the equation here simply as your focus is with mega vertebrates only.

Now, I am well aware that a new rhino complex is to come up too around here ... But would it then not have been the wise course of action to relocate your other animals in your collection elsewhere on zoo grounds or build extra quarantine or off-exhibit facilities to house these prior to building new accommodations for them and/or take it upon the chin to include these species in new planned accommodations within the Milwaukee Zoo that complement all the renovations and new buildings? It would not have cost the Earth and it would also have improved the visitor experience and animal welfare (and perhaps even allow some more species to be included on the new roster for people and staff to enjoy and discover).

4. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is where I think they may add African Painted Dogs. As for thoughts on everything more to come later...

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is that an official plan from the zoo or just wishful thinking?

6. pachyderm pro

7. MKE Zoo guy

That was in the zoos master plan for somewhere in the Adventure Africa and it seems like the only place that it seems fit. So you could say it’s both, because it’s not known for sure and yet it’s hinted at within the plan. One can only wait and see, but to have that large of an area for the animals that it currently hosts seems kinda of a waste of exhibit.

8. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To be honest I don’t think the zoo should be taking on more larger carnivores until they improve the conditions of the current animals. They need larger exhibits and more exhibits so that animals do not need to rotate. This can be done relatively cheaply by simply extending the current spaces into the underused hoofstock yards.

9. pachyderm pro

I’m 90% sure that painted dogs were part of the scrapped African complex in an earlier iteration of the master plan. I’ve seen no mention of them in the Adventure Africa plans.

Kifaru Bwana and savetherhino like this.
  10. MKE Zoo guy

On one of the main pages of the Adventure Africa, the report listed off animals that would be best suited for the new vision. Here they listed off elephants, hippos, rhinos, zebras, giraffes, antelope, and African wild dogs (5 total). This was the foundation to my assumption that AWD are in the near future for MKE. Also looking at the former impala yard being nearly empty from phase 1 and the fact that they have now closed off the wall from phase 2, there is some sort of plan for the exhibit.

So if it’s not AWD, then the question becomes what could go there?

As for the state of the zoo, I don’t think there is any real vision for taking the zoo to a higher level. It’s all about maintaining the norm and just appeasing the new guidelines, not trying to set a new standard. It’s kinda sad to see that the zoo has stopped innovating, the zoo in the past tried to innovate with how they displayed predators and pry, and now it’s just the basic of basic designs. Nothing to really make the zoo stand out... yeah we have elephants but the exhibit doesn’t make itself known in the zoo world, it’s just.... a basic exhibit.

I wish the zoo would take a giant leap just once with an exhibit/area and see how the public and companies respond. There’s so much potential but the don’t seem to be tapping into it.

11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The gazelles are Thomson's.

savetherhino and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So, why can they not move over to the African plains safari exhibit?

13. Wild wolverine

A zookeeper once told me that this was the original plan. I haven't heard why they didn't move to the new exhibit.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. Wild wolverine

15. MKE Zoo guy

That was suppose to be the original plan, however the zoo administration decided that they wanted elephants more and thats where the money went. The further the zoo went along in the design process to get the elephant exhibit designed and built the more they pulled back from the safari idea. Even when attending events two years ago, the zoo ambassadors were still telling people that this idea of a safari was going to happen, they just scaled back the design so that they can get something out there. The zoo ambassadors had photos and layouts of what it all was going to look like. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

16. pachyderm pro

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. MKE Zoo guy

After waiting some time to follow up with this issue, I can safely say that zoo is moving forward on the design process for phase 3 of Adventure Africa. Once they have the design made they will begin to reach out to contractors to search for those that will build the exhibit. They are not there yet, and the zoo society still has about 5 million to raise still, according to the Director of the Zoo. Once all the funding is secured they will go forward with building the last phase in Adventure Africa. The zoo will be renovating the current rhino yards, the former elephant yard, and surrounding exhibits; what was left out, and I don't know if it was by mistake, was the mallway area between the exhibits. Here's to hoping that it was just a mistake and that the mallway will be renovated in this phase.

Also phase 2, the hippo exhibit is suppose to open sometime time mid June, according to the Zoo Director. I recognized that they haven't said much about when this exhibit will be opening but I am assuming they will be doing a soft opening and then maybe a more public one just so they can get the zoo open again first.

On a side note, I will be returning to the zoo on Monday, if there is anything that people are curious about, please let me know, I will do my best to see what I can find out on my visit.

Wild wolverine and StoppableSan like this.
  18. pachyderm pro

Are you suggesting that the existing pachyderm mall would remain untouched? That is absolutely absurd if true! It's very much the worst of its kind and I was thrilled for its impending demise. Leaving it around would be a stain for any modern zoo. One thing that could disprove this theory however. If the zoos wants to breed rhinos they will need to get them in the same space of course. If the two new yards are in the opposite ends if the mall, how will they get them to one side or the other without a proper barn in the middle? If the mall remains, the hippos and rhinos will already have grossly outdated exhibits. Those ghastly little stalls have no place in any zoo in the year 2020.

Out of curiosity, what are the surroundings by exhibits in question? The red river hog exhibit will surely be removed for the rhinos, perhaps the old tapir yard as well.

19. MKE Zoo guy

What I said is all that the Director of the Zoo mentioned in both in the Finance and then also Parks committee. Hence why I hope that it was misspoken. I am not sure what he was referring to when he mentioned surrounding exhibits.

StoppableSan and pachyderm pro like this.
  20. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I hope they get White Rhinos for the former elephant area