Join our zoo community

Miniature Animal Figure Collection

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by ollielloyd, 3 Oct 2009.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

That's interesting - I can see them all now as well. It may have been an issue outside of this site. Nevertheless, sticking to ten images would still be "safest".

2. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

All of your hand-painted figures look extremely nice @Kakapo !

Kakapo likes this.
  3. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I've still got a lot of red crosses showing :(

4. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is interesting, I can now see them all as well. When Kakapo originally posted I couldn't. Although why appear now, and why for some but not all?

5. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Hey fellows! Another 5 more models for entertain your eyes :)

[​IMG]

I've painted in order of size from smaller to bigger, what usually also means from easiest to hardest. And in this order I present you:

1. The mosaic starfish, Plectaster decanus, or at least it's what it's intended to be.
    [​IMG]

2.The pyramid butterflyfish, Hemitaurichthys polylepis.
    [​IMG]

For size comparison see CollectA zebra shark :)
    [​IMG]

3. The Australian avocet, Recurvirostra novaehollandiae.
    [​IMG]

Until now all my Australian fauna consisted on mammals, so it's nice to start to disversify my Aussie range :)
    [​IMG]

4. The zebra duiker, Cephalophus zebra.
    [​IMG]

Now talk about stripes in the African jungle! :D
    [​IMG]

5. And finally, myyyyy preciousss! Chinese paddlefish, Psephurus gladius.
    Sadly, this giant and extremely unique fish, the only one of its genus and one of the only two members of its very distinctive and unique primitive family, it's now gone forever. It inhabited the Yangtze river and it suffered the same threats than the much more doccumented Baiji dolphin, and disappeared at the same time than the cetacean, so, very few years ago. It went extinct during our lifetime and this is even more sad than species extinct before we born...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All my Ancient Fishes together :D
    [​IMG]

6. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Have you ever thought of selling this stuff? I would definitely buy some.

Leaf Productions likes this.
  7. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Well, I tought very vaguely in that, and only did seriously for a couple of models that went too bad for include them in my collection. I don't have the ability of doing so accurate and well done models as the big brands does, and I've did these figures just to fulfill holes in my own collection.
    You must take in account that SuperSculpey is a brittle material and items can be easily damaged during transport, unlike the plastic used by big brands. Also, shipping cost from Europe to USA are stinging expensive in the last years.
    If despite all that you're really decided to buy something, I could think do a commision for you - I would like if you choose a not too big and not too difficult to sculpt model :D

Great Argus likes this.
  8. Great Argus

I'd be interested in one, it'd be cool to have a figure made by a fellow Zoochatter! Up to you whether you're interested in doing a couple commissions though.

9. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Hmm.. well, I can try if you take in account that the risk of beakage is elevated and that the figure can be pricey and the shipping costs too...

Also, I've spent the majority of my modelling paste already! Once I spent all, I will take a break for modelling. Probably a long break :D

What would you be interested in?

Last edited: 29 Nov 2019
  10. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

New purchases from the previous week! :)

1. First, I looked at the figures that a stationery near my home have, for if maybe the added something new. And they did. But not any figure, but the super special CollectA new White Rhinoceros (Ceratotherium simum), new for 2019!!!! This is in my opinion undoubtely the best rhino figure that major brands produced ever!!!!!!!!! It's absolutely incredibly perfect in every detail and infinitely better than previous versions of same brand.

[​IMG]

Six different zoos in the world keeps or have kept white rhinos with cheetahs in same enclosure (Cleveland Metroparks, Parc Safari Quebec, BorĂ¥s Djurpark, Schmiding, Attica and Everland - Zootopia), it seems to work quite fine. Cheetahs are usually not afraid of rhinos because rhinos accept them quickly as friends. I suppose that encounters in the wild tends to be peaceful too.
    [​IMG]

Also often rhinos and giraffes meets with harmony, overall near drinking spots.
    [​IMG]

This white rhino matches perfectly in size with my other rhinos (Papo black and Safari Sumatran):
    [​IMG]

2. The diana monkey (Cercopithecus diana).

As it cames:
    [​IMG]
    After a bit of repaint:
    [​IMG]

Also, the "before" and "after" of the face:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It joins to my monkey troop happily. Size fits perfectly with the Schleich mandrill.
    [​IMG]

More encounters in the African jungle:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

3. Next one is the Blainville's beaked whale, Mesoplodon densirostris. This one was also repainted for make it more realistic:

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

It's an absolutely wonderful figure. The shape and sculpt is very well done. Especially in the mouth area.
    [​IMG]

Here, the two only species of beaked whales available in realistic figurine: with Happy Kin's strap-toothed whale, that is noticeably smaller than the Blainville's figure:
    [​IMG]

4. Next one is the largetooth sawfish, Pristis pristis.
    [​IMG]

With the Colorata's bastard halibut:
    [​IMG]
    As I don't have other branded rays than the sawfish, I put it together with my homemade torpedo ray:
    [​IMG]

5. Next one is the wonderful Saiga (Saiga tatarica).
    [​IMG]

With other inhabitant of the endless Central Asian steppes:
    [​IMG]

These two antelope species from the cold areas of Central Asia are both very specialized to breathe cold air with lower level oxygen. That causes that they can't thrive in captivity because they fail from respiratory diseases.
    [​IMG]

12. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

6. And by last: the Tasmanian devil, Sarcophilus harrisii. Two models of this species are almost equally superb and well done and have the same size: the CollectA's and the Southlands. It's difficult to choose one of them for my collection as both are magnific, but I decided by the CollectA's one and after some years passed finally I got it.

Again, with a bit of retouching. Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

And now released into the wild:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Devils usually prefairs carrion and do not chases live prey often. But they can do too, if convenient. But how "convenient" will be this prickly thing full of hard and pungent spines?
    [​IMG]

And the unavoidable comparison pal....
    [​IMG]

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Is the White Rhino based off a particular individual? The front horn seems excessively long, or does the photo just make it seem like that.

I really like the Chiru too.

14. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

The front horn is not excessively long, but in all the other rhino figures in the world is excessively short :D That's maybe the main thing that makes this figure so much better than other rhino figures :)
    Tough, probably is excessively thick...

Probably, if was not by this Chiru I would not collect animal figures now :D this was the starter of my interest about figures because I didn't know previously that so nice obscure species was done, that is what leaded me to searching in internet for other figures of the same brand :)

Last edited: 5 Dec 2019
  15. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Here they come....

[​IMG]

1. The Ethiopian wolf, Canis simensis:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The Arabian butterflyfish, Chaetodon melapterus[/i:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. The Grandala (Grandala coelicolor):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

4. The Bulwer's pheasant (Lophura bulweri):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. And by last, the mighty Numbat, Myrmecobius fasciatus.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Great Argus

These get more fantastic each time!

Lota lota and Kakapo like this.
  18. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If any americans happen to be near an A.C. Moore crafts store, all Safari figures, tubes, etc are 25% off. They'll likely go further down - all of their stores are closing - but obviously with that comes less stock.

19. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

@Kakapo I think the Ethiopian wolf is really astonishing. Well done!

Kakapo likes this.
  20. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Thanks for your compliments! :) Again I charge with a new batch, hehe!

[​IMG]

1. This is different from my usual figures. A caricaturesque hedgehog, smiling and giving a hug. It's just a Christmas gift for my mother
    [​IMG]

2. Also a different figure, but in another sense: this will be not for my collection, but i'ts a request custom that I will sell to another collector. Great Indian Hornbill (Buceros bicornis). With a bad issue: gravity center is too forwards. The bird can't stand upright unless there is something over the tip of the tail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Maleo (Macrocephalon maleo). I think that this is one of my best bird figures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]