Join our zoo community

Missing posts and photos after server migration

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 21 Nov 2011.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

As a result of the recent server migration, it seems that we have managed to lose about 80 posts or photos.

It turns out that some people did not get access to the new server immediately (their DNS server took a lot longer to update than others), and as such when they accessed the site, they were actually accessing the old site, not the new one.

I thought I had disabled access to the old site, but a quick check just now showed that it was somehow turned back on again, which is why people were able to post on the old forum, even after the migration had been completed.

Anyone who posted bwteen 12 noon and midnight (GMT) yesterday (20th November) may have been affected. There is a list of users below who were impacted by this and now have missing posts or photos. If your name is not on the list below, your posts/photos should be here on the new site.

Unfortunately, because of the timing of these posts and the way the database stores the information, it will not be possible for me to move the missing data across from the old database. I could perhaps retrieve the post content for individual posters and allow you to re-post them, but I can't do it automatically for you.

Here are the users who were affected ... this only applies to posts made between 12 noon GMT and midnight GMT on the 20th November, there were no posts made on the old forum after that time:

adrian1963
    BlackRhino
    bluetoffeezoo
    Cat-Man
    CGSwans
    devilfish
    gerenuk
    GorillaBoy
    JBZvolunteer
    kiang
    KingoftheZoo
    Malayan Tapir
    mazfc
    Moebelle
    Newzooboy
    snowleopard
    team tapir
    tetrapod
    Tim May

Again, if your name is not on this list, you are not affected by this issue - even if you posted during the time period described ... your posts/photos should be here on the new forum, not on the old one.

If any of the affected users made posts during this time and would like me to send them the contents of their posts so they don't need to re-type them, please let me know.

Note that there were also three Private Messages sent on the old server during this same period by users bongorob, Gigit and Tim May. The same applies here - I can extract the content of your PM for you so you don't have to retype it if you wish to re-send your PM.

I apologise for the inconvenience and oversight on my part - I was thinking earlier today that the migration had gone much more smoothly than I had expected (too smoothly it turns out!) :(

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Don't worry about mine Sim, I started a new thread on the rhino birth at Amersfoort, but Jola has jumped into the breach on that one.

3. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I'd just come looking for somewhere to ask what had happened to my posts. Thought I'd finally gone mad :)

If you could get mine back that would be great, but if it's a hassle don't worry :)

4. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Put a new thread on uk forum and also put Tim May's reply on thier also not to worry things like this do happen every now and then