Join our zoo community

Mixed species exhibit ideas:

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by LowlandGorilla4, 27 Apr 2020.

1. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Part 2
    1.1 Scimitar oryx, 2.0 Warthog, 1.1 Nubian ibex (1300 square metres, the exhibit has a pond for warthogs and rock formations for ibex.)
    0.4 Reindeer, 2.0 Musk ox, 1.0 Dall's sheep (2000 sqms, tundra exhibit with a little rock, pines and a grassy part.)
    2.0 Lowland gorilla,0.1 Kikuyu guereza(1000 sqms, the exhibit has living trees, climbing trees, bush and a distance island for guereza.)
    1.1 Grevy's zebra, 2.0 Giant eland(1200 sqms, average hoofstock paddock.)
    1.0 Yak, 1.1 Kiang(1500 sqms, steppe exhibit with rocks.)
    1.0 Raccoon, 1.1 Skunk(200 sqms with a pool, trees and rocks.)
    2.3 Giraffe, 1.1 Plains zebra, 1.1 White rhino, 3.1 Ostrich, 1.3 Beisa, 1.2 Greater kudu, 3.0 Sable antelope, 0.2 Thomson's gazelle(1.5 hectares, the exhibit has trees, bush, rocks, a pond and a lake.)

Jarne and Gibbon05 like this.
  2. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

1: I believe this could work depending on the size of the exhibit and the individual warthogs. The holes they dig may be a problem for the oryx and ibex, that would be something that would need monitoring.
    2: I have my doubt about the muskox (both the two males together and the combination with other species). It's as far as I know never been done, but that does off-course not mean that it's not possible. It is a very good idea indeed to not combine a male reindeer with the muskox because that would be much more likely to create conflicts.
    3: Has been done, would personally go for larger groups of both species: 3-5 male gorilla (if possible, 2 would be acceptable) and at least 2 colobus (but preferably more).
    4: Don't know enough about giant eland, grevys are a very dominant species so it would probably at least depend on the temperament of those (just like in each other mixed exhibit with zebra).
    5: Should work fine, has already been done in Monde Sauvage alongside deer and camels.
    6: Should work, I know numerous locations that do this.
    7: The male giraffe will probably not get along. The sable might not get along, it's always a guess with bachelor antelope herds. The Thomson's gazelle are very shy, I personally wouldn't combine them with the other species and just give them their own paddock. There are examples of zoos where this works but also several where it doesn't, and in Europe at least they are not in big supply`.

In general I do have one question: why so much small groups? Most of these are commonly kept in larger groups and also commonly available.

Gibbon05 and HungarianBison like this.
  3. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, it is a very good zoo undoubtedly and it is all very objective, but most agree that Europe's best are Burgers', the two Berlins, Chester, Prague, Pairi (potentially and very debatable), Wroclaw, Beauval, Vienna, Leipzig, Zurich, Copenhagen and then to a lesser extent perhaps Hellabrunn and Plzen.

4. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

It al depends on what people find the most important. Boras is very good when it comes to welfare, but the collection is not comparable to many other great zoos. On the other hand, a park like Pairi Daiza may have many flaws when it comes to welfare (they are not the only on this list though), but a great collection and theming. For regular visitors those last two are for sure regarded as more important on average, and even here I do find that some people are willing to look past the welfare problems for these two. The same would go for parts of Leipzig actually, though not as bad as Pairi Daiza's problems Gondwanaland has several rather small enclosures and Pongoland has several problems ranging from a lack of privacy indoor to a lack of privacy between animals (All have one big indoor exhibit, especially the orangs need multiple ones to avoid each other). It does however look amazing and for some reason this masks a lot of problems, even for some die-hard zoofans.

MizzB, Chatt Wolf, Gibbon05 and 2 others like this.
  5. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

Asian Elephant with Barasingha or
    African Elephant with any Bee-eater species?.

6. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

With enough space and places for the deer to flee to, that should be perfectly possible (only with a bull in the musth I have my doubts). The second would be possible, but practical is something totally different.

7. Austin the Sengi

Exactly

Jarne likes this.
  8. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for the information. I had totally forgotten about kestrels! All the other North American predatory birds I could think of I assume could make off with a beaver, but kestrels could be a good addition instead of ospreys.

Jarne likes this.
  9. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

The good thing about kestrels is also that they are combinable with other birds like ducks (not sure about ducklings though) and herons.

10. Gibbon05

Gibbon05 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I get a lot of inspiration for mixed exhibits from Bioparc Valencia.
    Their most notable ones are:
    1. Pygmy Hippo, Sitatunga, Drill, Gabon Talapoin, Pink-Backed Pelican, Egyptian Geese
    2. Gorilla, Sitatunga, Owl-Faced Guenon, White-Naped Mangabey (I believe the sitatunga are no longer there)

Jarne likes this.
  11. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

The sitatunga have been gone for years from the gorilla exhibit, the combination didn't last long. The owl-faced guenons are also no longer kept by them since 2012. One of the gorilla groups is now combined with De Brazza's monkeys, the other still with the mangabeys.

Gibbon05 likes this.
  12. ThatOneZooGuy

ThatOneZooGuy Well-Known Member

Okay, here are several ideas. It’s quite the variety and I’m not sure if any have been done before, most aren’t very over the top either. Nevertheless, here we go! ;)

1: Black Sable Antelope, Masai Giraffe, Cape Mountain Zebra, Ostrich, Nile Lechwe, Springbok.

2: Lowland Bongo, Abyssinian Ground Hornbill, Saddle Billed Stork

3: Cape Tree Hyrax, Baya Weaver

4: American Bison, Rocky Mountain Elk

5: Crowned Lemur, Red Ruffed Lemur, Coquerel’s Sifiaka, Ring Tailed Lemur

6: Bactrian Camel, Persian Onager

7: Rhea, Southern Screamer, Guanaco

8: Warthog, Colobus Monkey

9: Wood Stork, Cattle Egret, Roseate Spoonbill, Glossy Ibis, Green Heron, Reddish Egret

10: Masked Bobwhite, Western Scrub Jay, Roadrunner, Thick Billed Parrot

11: Shoebill, Egyptian Goose, Pink Backed Pelican, South African Shelduck

12: Palm Nut Vulture, Yellow Mongoose

13. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

1: could work, probably depends mostly on the temperament of the zebra stalion.

2: the storks will never breed and might get trampled. Storks in general should never be kept pinioned due to their habit of nesting in trees. The hornbill might breed, but still trampling could occur and I would never advice to keep any bird pinioned with hoofstock in general.

3: Should do fine

4: has been done, depending on the size a breeding wapiti bull may or may not be feasable inside the exhibit.

5: with enoug space this might be possible, though I do not know how sifakas behave when mixed with larger lemurs.

6: enough space and separation facilities are key. This has both been done successfully and unsucessfully in severam zoos.

7: has been done, but once again a risk of trampling and possibly worse breeding results for the screamers.

8: I do believe this should be possible

9: might work, don't know the storks and herons good enough to give a definitive answer. They would probably be able to coexist but I simply don't know ether they breed well in mixed setups.

10: the quails might be a problem with the roadrunners, but the other birds should be fine although I can't say anything about breeding results.

11: might work, though aggression between the spoonbill and pelicans could occur. Spoonbill in general are notoriously difficult to breed and if this were pinioned birds I would not hope for it but the others probably would breed in such mixed setups (especially in an aviary).

12: might semi-work, but even if te adult vultures do fine they will almost for sure not be breeding. They are even in more optimal conditions very difficult to breed.

ThatOneZooGuy and Gibbon05 like this.
  14. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

I have a problem with the first. I think it's not good that there are some geographically alien species in the exhibit, I prefer habitat-patterned african mixed enclosures.
    Otherwise your mixes are very good:)

ThatOneZooGuy likes this.
  15. Crotalus

Crotalus Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how successful it would be, but I've always thought megafauna mixes are cool. So here are two ideas.

Giants of Africa
    A two acre large paddock with expanses of soil, grassy plains, and mud. There are several large pools around 9 feet deep or less for animals to swim in. There are also mud wallows. Logs, some elevated, serve as toys and scratching posts. There are some baobab and acacia trees protected at the roots and trunk from the large animals. Hanging toys also provide enrichment. Several large wooden covered structures provide shade and have feeding racks for the animals. Small ground shrubs also are present, specifically fast-growing and/or resistant species. The exhibit would be viewed from several vantage points including a bridge crossing over part of the exhibit. There would be large indoor shelters that allow for mixing and separation of animals, with areas certain species can access that others cannot.

This enclosure is home to:
    - 0.2 African Bush Elephant
    - 0.2 Reticulated Giraffe
    - 0.2 Hippopotamus
    - 0.1 Southern White Rhinoceros

Indian Stomping Grounds
    This two acre paddock replicates an Indian savannah and floodplain. Tall grasses of grass and reeds make up most of the area, with open expanses of mud and dusty soil. Wooden feeding racks, logs, protected trees, and resistant brush are still present. The pools are shallower at 5 to 6 feet in general. This exhibit would also be visible from several points.

This enclosure would house:
    - 0.2 Asian Elephant
    - 0.2 Indian Rhinoceros
    - 0.3 Gaur

Again, not sure if this would work, but it seems mixes of certain species (elephant-rhino, I think elephant-hippopotamus) have worked in situations in the past.

Gibbon05 likes this.
  16. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

Hi AmurLeopard

I was Last year in Zoo Augsburg and they have a Mixed Species Habitat for congo red Buffalo and hamadryas baboon. To my knowledge it Works very well. I have posted a picture of the Enclosure in the Augsburg Zoo Gallery.:)

17. Austin the Sengi

Polar bears with any other species?

18. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They've been mixed with tiny fish before but nothing larger. If I'm honest I can't think of any animal that would be good to mix with Polar bears. Brown bears, possibly the only carnivores that can actually repel them and are on similar size scale can hybridise with them...

Oh, and happy birthday!

Last edited: 7 Jul 2020
    LowlandGorilla4 and Gibbon05 like this.
  19. Austin the Sengi

Thanks amur leopard

20. Austin the Sengi

Sumatran Rhinoceros with any other species.