Join our zoo community

Mixed species exhibit ideas:

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by LowlandGorilla4, 27 Apr 2020.

1. bio1022

bio1022 Member

If anyone's an expert on birds here's some ideas for mixed aviaries I wondered if was possible:

Japan - Crested Ibis, Chinese Egret, Mandarin Duck, Common Eider, Ruddy Shelduck and Pied Avocet.

New Zealand - White-faced heron, Royal Spoonbill, Black Swan, Blue Duck, Paradise Shelduck, New Zealand Scaup, Weka, Red-necked Avocet, Black Stilt and South Island Takahe.

2. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

Here come some new ones

1. California sea lion, Grey seal

2. Giant Green sea anemone, false anemone clownfish, Blue tang

3. Giant trevally, Blacktip Reef shark, White Tip reef shark, Sandtiger shark,Giant Manta ray,Whale Shark

Hope you can Help again

3. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

First one definitely works, and I don't know enough about fish to help with the others

German Zoo World likes this.
  4. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

1: should work, watch out with pups though

2: Good question, and no Idea actually. Why specifically the giant green sea anemone and not a species that the clownfish naturally coexist with? The latter two should work, but remember that in a smaller tank you can only keep tangs solitary.

3: In theory, this could work if you just want to keep them. For breeding, this doesn't seem a very good setup. (which is sadly enough the way most public aquaria still seem to think about keeping sharks).

German Zoo World likes this.
  5. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Number two wouldn’t work. Clownfish only host a select few species of anenomes and giant green sea anenomes would be likely to eat clownfish if they attempted to host it. The anenome would likely eat a small blue tang as well.

dinosauria and German Zoo World like this.
  6. chaotic_froggie

chaotic_froggie Well-Known Member

Switching to bubbletip anemones would be better, they are the ones usually kept in aquariums with anemonefish

7. Neil chace

I don't see any reason the first one shouldn't work, although putting eiders and Mandarin ducks together is an odd choice- as one lives in freshwater and one is salt. I'm not familiar with some of your New Zealand birds, but the ones I am familiar with should all do fine together.

8. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

Black swan are known to be one of the most aggressive swan species, so I would be careful with those. Maybe adding the more commonly available species first with the swans and only if this goes well the rarer birds.

WalkingAgnatha likes this.
  9. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

As mentioned before black swans are aggressive, blue ducks can also be aggressive/territorial whilst also having much different habitat requirements compared to the other waterfowl. Weka are known to prey on small birds/chicks so having them in the aviary would be iffy. Also in terms of geographical accuracy red-necked avocets are an Australian endemic making them unfit for an NZ aviary. Also I would be wary of placing other stilts with the black stilt for fear of hybridization.

10. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I know it’s been a while since I last posted here on the thread, but does anyone know on what kind of bird species that can or have been mixed with African Penguins in a large non-aviary type setting. And to be honest it only came into my head today so it really got me thinking about it and that is all so thanks a lot for your help if you do know.

~Austin the Sengi

11. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

I've seen them mixed with White-breasted Cormorants.

12. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

Thanks @red river hog and to be honest, I already do know that cormorants can be mixed with penguins within a proper setting successfully, but what I am also thinking of is something like that of a seagull, a tern, an oystercatcher or heck even a Rock hyrax that can be mixed with penguins in the same space (although I do suspect that all of the mentioned species above would have their fair share of problems as well) but nonetheless I do thank you for your help.

Anyone else?

13. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

Steamer ducks maybe? Not geographical, but at least those naturally don't fly.

WalkingAgnatha likes this.
  14. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

Hello Guys i have some new Mixed Species Enclosures

1 Humboldt penguin,Magellanic penguin,Gray gull, Inca tern

2 Rockhopper Penguin,Macaronnis Penguin,Adelies Penguin, Chinstreap Penguin, Gentoo penguin, King penguin

3 ringed Seal, Pacific walrus

Hope you can Help again

Thank you for Every one who makes this, its interesting to know which Species can be in the Enclosure or not

15. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

1: I think this would technically work (all except the magellanic penguin have been combined in Marlow). Though Magellanic penguins are much rarer then Humboldt's in Europe and thus less likely to be acquired when mixing with gulls.

2: You would risk hybridizing the rockhoppers and macaroni. Besides that it might work, though I'm not sure as chinstrap and Adelie don't seem to breed so well in zoos. Wether this is due to the mixing with other species, wrong temperatures, small groups or other things is unknown to me.

3: We did talk abut walrus sucking seals brain out before in this tread, though grey seals have been kept with walrus before. I wouldn't advise it in the end. Not that it matters much, as ringed seals are near extinct in zoos and Walrus are following steadily..

16. Chatt Wolf

Chatt Wolf Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thoughts guys.

Large outside aviary with a public path winding through.

Western Grey Plantain-Eater 2
    Blue-Headed Wood Dove 7
    Snowy-Crowned Robin-Chat 4
    Common Bulbul 6
    Congo Peafowl 3
    Emerald Starling 2

17. Neil chace

No reason it wouldn't work, although most Starling species should be kept in larger groups. I'd suggest keeping 4 or 6 emerald starlings instead of 2.

Chatt Wolf likes this.
  18. Neil chace

What about-
    1. Brush-tailed Bettong, Queensland Koala, Matschie's Tree Kangaroo
    2. Grey Seal, Harbor Seal
    3. Red Panda, Cabot's Tragopan
    4. Northern Carmine Beeater, Blue-bellied Roller, Cape Thick-knee
    5. Blood Python, Red-tailed Ratsnake, Green Tree Python
    6. Tufted Puffin, Horned Puffin, Common Eider, Common Murre
    7. Little Blue Penguin, Inca Tern, Grey Gull

19. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would consider lowering this amount a little, as Bulbuls are found usually in pairs or small groups.

Chatt Wolf likes this.
  20. chaotic_froggie

chaotic_froggie Well-Known Member

Snakes don’t do well with other species at all