Join our zoo community

Mixed species exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Al, 2 Jan 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Heard tamandua story from our zoo manager who is riendly with the director there.

what are they doing with the anoa house now zoogiraffe?

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Its now used as additional indoor accom for the Macaques so not very much realy.

3. Potto

Potto Well-Known Member

I was reading about zebra duiker and it said that in the past at Los Angeles Zoo they were put with a group of Talapoins, but that was soon discontinued once the talpoins attacked the male zebra duiker!

4. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

There was a disturbing story in today's paper (here in Sydney) about 2 Red Pandas in Nuremburg Zoo which were ripped up by the Muntjacs which shared the enclosure.

5. ZooMania

ZooMania Well-Known Member

What the Muntjac's attacked the pandas, are you sure its not the other way round

6. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

I read it on one of the news articles at the bottom of the forums a couple of weeks ago. There was confusion because the zoo didn't belive that the muntjacs could've done such a thing and they suspected some animal rights activists...

7. Taccachantrieri

Taccachantrieri Well-Known Member

Muntjac are not going to kill two red pandas by slitting their abdominal cavities in nearly identical ways. Some deranged individual is responsible for this.

Check out this link:
    Animals Found with Stomachs Slit Open: Two Red Pandas Killed at Nuremberg Zoo - International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News

Speaking of unacceptable activities the Northern Forest Building at the Calgary Zoo was burned down a few years ago. Some of the animals were saved but 3 fishers 4 trout and 3 leopard frogs were trapped and died a gruesome and cruel death. Police investigations thought that arson was responsible for this incident, which wouldn't be surprising because close to the same time injured raptors that couldn't be released into the wild were taken from their aviary close by.

8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I read the same news article on the ZooBeat forum, and it is obviously the work of insane fools who had broken into the exhibit. The red pandas and muntjac had been coexisting peacefully since 1998.

9. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

a rather stupid conclusion if you ask me!!! :rolleyes:

10. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Cotswold Wildlife Park have a mixed species exhibit of venomous snakes the species involved are Gaboon Viper and East African Green Mamba,they also have Stripped Possum and Ground Cuscus together.

11. bloodycurtus

bloodycurtus Well-Known Member

have the Yellow Mongoose been introduced in with the red river hogs at chester yet?

12. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

When was this mentioned!?

That would mean the both of the zoo's african pig species are grouped with mongoose:p I guess it's the Timon and Pumbaa image...

13. bloodycurtus

bloodycurtus Well-Known Member

was mentioned when i was there in october last year and when i went on the 20th october they where due to be introduced that day but the section was short staffed

14. ericnielsenpdx

ericnielsenpdx Well-Known Member

I know Brookfield Zoo, Chicago, has had an exhibit in the Fragile Kingdom building with these species together for several years.
    Brookfield has always been rather pioneering in their mixed species exhibit and continues to have several, including those in Habitat Africa, Australia House, and Tropic World . The last time I was at Tropic World , their South American hall mixed Brazilian lowland tapir, giant anteaters, king vultures, 2 species of spider monkeys, squirrel monkeys, tufted capuchins, and other bird species as well in one impressive indoor exhibit. Tropic World Africa had a pygmy hippo, mandrill , guerza, sooty and red capped mangabeys , and talapoin monkeys together - I know they don't have the talapoins now though.
    Another interesting exhibit is at Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo(which has several mixed species displays throughout the zoo ) in the Nocturnal House where you will see douroucouli, tamandua, prehensile tailed porcupines, and 3 banded armadillos ( hutias were once there as well ) in a series of interconnected exhibit spaces.
    Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo has several spectacular mixed species exhibits as well , unfortunately I can't remember all the species mixed together because it's been a few years, but I am going to see family nearby in 2 weeks so I will check it out then, and take some pictures as well.

Eric
    Portland, Oregon

15. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

That's probably what I was thinking of.

16. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One zoo-related book, "Zoo 2000", praised Tropic world. This was long ago, when only Africa part was open. I am very interested in this exhibit. Is it true, it is all concrete and plastic without real ground and plants for animals? Are there any other South American species/exhibits? What is in Asian part?

17. patrick

judging from all the pictures on the net, it certainly looks to be that case. what a shame... (or should i say sham?)

18. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've seen the Tropic World exhibit myself. In my opinion it is TERRIBLE. All it is is concrete, concrete, concrete, and some silk plants. The Africa section was closed when I saw it, but I'm sure it's much like the South America and Asia sections.

19. patrick

true? the plants are even fake?

why on earth is that!!!! if its a hothouse won't live plants grow?

in your opinion, if someone took to it with a jackhammer and brought in a plethora of live plants and real wood deadfall, would it be good? or is it overall badly designed also?

i wanna see pics!

20. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think some plants were real, but not any within reach of animals or visitors. It really was a huge disappointment for me. The exhibits are viewed from an elevated walkway along one wall of the building, so you are looking way down at anything. It all looked VERY fake and not the least bit comfortable for the animals. I'm not sure if any amount of deadwood and vegetation would redeem it. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics from my visit. This was in the pre-digital age and I really wasn't much of a photographer at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.