Join our zoo community

mixing big cats with each other!!

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by GorillaBoy, 28 May 2009.

1. GorillaBoy

GorillaBoy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

im sure that 2 zoos 1 in korea and 1 in germany mixed lions in with tigers
    but instead of them keeping themselves apart with 3 tigers 2 female a 1 male and 5 lions 4 females and 1 very young adolescent male have actually been seen some mating interactions between the male tiger and 2 of the female lions but in time i`m sure the male lion will see of the male tiger from his females 1 of them his mum but his father died in 2007 or he will start mating with female lions and tigers with the male tiger all to be unleashed in the next few weeks this happened in 2006 so i`m going to get back to you lot soon to see if any cubs have been born and the male who should be full grown

yours sincerley GorillaBoy

2. Kadija

Kadija Well-Known Member

I don't think it might be a good idea to mix tigers with lions in one enclosure as they are able to mate and produce offspring ...

Do you know which German zoo it is, GorillaBoy?

3. GorillaBoy

not sure

im not sure which zoo it was but it deffinately happened in 2006.

4. GorillaBoy

hi guys i found out some interesting news the male lion is now at a zoo in france (lille) with 1 female from there but the other 3 females are still living with 2 tigers 1 male 1 female but the female is not from the original 2 so i will soon find out what happened 2 them 2 and 1 lion female had a small litter of 2 cubs sired by the male tiger and the male lions mother is very good towards the tigers even sharing her meat with them. and the 2 cubs were only born in nov 08 i will give you more news soon

5. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

there is a private zoo in oxfordshire (will not say the name, the owner dosnt like us posting lots of info) has a male lion that has troble with the females and was unleashed with 2 male tigers and gets on fine

your luckey that ive told you this

6. GorillaBoy

ive found out what happened to the 2 female tigers they somehow escaped from there enclosure 4 times but the keepers didn`t know how bit the found out that the fence right at the bottom of the exhibit had a whole in it but when they fixed it the male tiger went to mate with a lioness and the 2 tigeresses attacked the male and seriously injured him he was so injured he was out of the enclosure for 5 weeks and for his own safety the females moved to a sanctuary in thailand so thats what happened in the group.but theres now 7 altogether 1 male tiger 1 new female tiger and 3 lionesses and the 2 cubs who actually with the father being the tiger male are full lion cubs so my next mission is to see if the father is actully the male tiger or the male lion fathered the cubs before he left i will let you know hope you all like the forum

yours sincerley GorillaBoy

Last edited: 28 May 2009
  7. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Oh, the joy of (missing) interpunction...I hope you don't talk like you write, @GorillaBoy -otherwise "Vicky Pollard" might be a better username.

The German Arche Noah Zoo in Grömitz kept ligers till 2008 due to mixing tigers and lions about a decade or so ago; so much about that.
    The only German "zoo" I'd suspect to mix lions and tigers nowadays would be the "Hollywood- and Safaripark Stukenbrock"...

8. GorillaBoy

no i was right the first time the male tiger is the father of the 2 cubs and 1 more lion female is pregnant and the male is taking sexaul interest in the new female tiger.

9. GorillaBoy

This is not an english test as i have one of those next week!!! if my punctuation and grammar is that bad how come you understand it!!!!

10. Sun Wukong

It might not be an English test, but it would be a gesture of politeness and maturity if you took a bit more care about your writing; that would also benefit you in any upcoming English tests.
    About readability: I have learned to decipher terribly disfigured posts. But that doesn't mean that I like doing that ...

11. GorillaBoy

well all i can say is its not about my writing its about my love of animals and if you dont like it dont read them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Sun Wukong

Do you really think that your post will increase in significance by adding more exclamation marks? If you can't understand a friendly advice as such- your loss. The correlation between this and your self-proclaimed "animal love" isn't all too coherent, btw.
    If you don't like my comments, then why answer them? The energy you spent on your furious replies might have been better invested in training for the English test...;)

13. Kadija

Kadija Well-Known Member

@Sun Wukong: Thank you for tell the names of the German zoos. I've been once in the Arche Noah Zoo. I can't remember "Liger" but they indeed had Tiger-Lion hybrids. :( The last "liger" died in 2008.

14. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Who knows of keeping more than 1,1 of jaguars, leopards or snow leopards (one species) in one enclosure?

Lions and tigers are kept in larger groups but not leopards. Is it not possible to keep more leopards together, or just not tried? Could give more space for rare leopard ssp.

15. Sun Wukong

@Kadija: Liger = Tiger(female)-Lion(male) hybrid

@Jurek7: Safaripark Hodenhagen just did that-squeezed several Amur leopards together in one enclosure. Pretty crowded...

16. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am sorry to say that I don't understand your previous message :(

Alan

17. elephant400

elephant400 Well-Known Member

can u please tell me the name of the private zoo in oxford abd the owners name as i might know him ( is he a big fan of birds especially macaws ) send me a private message with the zoo name and owner save other people seeing it, if it's teh right man hes really grumpy with zoo chatters, LOL. :)

18. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

That I was unaware of, when did you find that out?

19. zebedee101

zebedee101 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Paradise park in Hertfordshire kept a tiger in with their lions about ten years ago, when I asked the keeper why he said that the tiger was lonely. When I asked him what behaviours led him to believe it was lonely and that tigers are pretty much solitary in the wild he walked away. In those days they did a lot of tiger breeding as they were making a lot of money by letting people pose with tiger cubs. My visit a few months ago was the first time I'd been back and it was drastically improved.

20. easytigger

easytigger Well-Known Member

Chessington kept 1.2 jaguars together in the 90's and 1.2 persian leopards together in the 00's the leopards were unrelated 'farah' from adelaide zoo and bristol zoo, 'kalaf' from stuttgart and ' shakira' from berne, all went well with the leopards in the begining, shakira was sexualy immature on introduction, and farah was 17 years old, the three leopards lived side by side with no problems, until one day when farah was found dead in the outside enclosure with puncture wounds on her throat, she was killed by shakira.

I whilst it is not imposible to keep these animals together, it does come with risks, which whilst should not be avoided, should be taken into account