Join our zoo community

Mogo Wildlife Park Mogo Zoo News

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jet, 11 Nov 2011.

1. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

According to this article No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au Mogo had six in 2012?

Possibly a misinterpretation of another big cat such as lion or tiger??? :confused:

2. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

They did have quite a lot for a while - at least four. They used to occupy both the current exhibit and the original exhibit, which I believe now has silvery gibbons. I suspect the six might have been when they had just had cubs? My memory is pretty sketchy on this point.

3. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

sigh.......I used to know

4. Tygo

Tygo Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Mogo Zoo currently holds two Snow leopards.
    The male Ilyan was imported from Sweden in 2010.
    Tenzin the female was born at Mogo Zoo to Manga and Lena in 2003. Her litter mate was Khumbu who is now at Taronga. She has two older siblings Bhutan and Shiva at National Zoo & Aquarium.

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

thanks for that

6. Jabiru96

7. Geoffrey

Was at Mogo today and the rhinos have arrived, but were off display. Looks very promising. I also thought the new tamarin/marmoset enclosures opposite the cheetahs were outstanding.

It's a while since I'd been, but other changes included the spider monkeys in the old lar gibbon cage next to the tigers, with the lars down on the islands. There were also radiated tortoises in one of the old tamarin exhibits next to the reptile house.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

9. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

A Silvery Gibbon has been born at Mogo Zoo. Despite there being just two zoos in Australasia holding this species (Mogo and Perth), this birth brings the population to 10 animals. It is one of three managed gibbon species in the region.

10. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Have the rhinos gone on display yet? And if not, does anyone know any sort of timeline for when they are expected to be on display?

11. Geoffrey

The rhinos went on display in late January. I got a chance to see them in April; it's a nice exhibit and a rather surreal feeling given how long they've been on Mogo's wishlist.

12. Jabiru96

13. Jabiru96

14. Geoffrey

Got down to Mogo today; wasn't expecting many changes but they surprised me, as they have the last few times I've been. The baby lemurs were darling.

The big change is that the old row of tamarin exhibits at the top of the zoo have been knocked down. The entrance building is now entirely open on this side (out towards the silvery gibbons). I think this is a big improvement - those exhibits, while perfectly adequate, had served their purpose and were superseded by the newer, shinier ones down by the cheetahs, and this opens up this area of the zoo wonderfully and helps a lot with the cafe.

The capuchin exhibit has been cut in half, with the squirrel monkeys now occupying the glass extension and the capuchins in the old half (formerly lemurs, gibbons and, eons ago, puma). At first I was a bit concerned about the capuchins - that's a very small space for the number they have - but it seems that they have full access to an off-exhibit area that is at least as big as the part they've lost, so that's good. Still kind of a dingy exhibit though. The squirrel monkeys, on the other hand, look great.

The reptile house is closed, apparently for good. This is a pity, but it was always a bit of a placeholder and I'm sure Mogo can build something bigger and better if they want to.

The fennec fox exhibit was "under renovation", and the fennecs were down in one of the tamarin exhibits opposite the otters. The other change was that a large troupe of Cottontop Tamarins have moved onto the island that used to house ruffed lemurs, where they make a very effective exhibit.

As triple confirmation for Chlidonias, the binturong is definitely still there. :) I only saw one tapir, so they may have lost another of those.

15. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was there about a week ago but hadn't posted due till still being on holidays plus it was my first visit there and didn't know about the changes you listed. An interesting thing I did notice though was that there was a young pig in the off exhibit area of the tapir enclosure which could be a new companion animal for the lone tapir. When was there I saw the sign on the tamarin enclosure that said they had moved so I just walked past, I can't believe I missed seeing the fennec foxes!!

16. Riley

Also I over heared someone talking to a keeper about the reptiles and she said they had all moved to Canberra

17. Geoffrey

You might not have. There was no sign today (and no sign saying there were fennecs in there, which led to some baffled visitors) and it looked like they had moved in very recently; possibly they weren't there yet last week. :)

EDIT: Ooh, your first visit? Would love to hear your overall impressions!

18. Riley

Disappointed to not see them but at least it may not be my fault :)
    I'm going to post some photos in the next couple of days and maybe a sort review.

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I had a scrounge around in the depths of the internet and discovered that the female tapir at Mogo died mid/early 2015.

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Brazilian Tapir, Mendeze has died aged 24:

With great sadness we are announcing the passing of a much-loved and unique member of Mogo Zoo’s family, Brazilian Tapir Mendeze. Mendeze (or Snorkel Pig as he was affectionately known) has been part of the Mogo Zoo family since 2001.

Mendeze was 24 when he passed from renal failure, which is old age for a Brazilian Tapir. Nonetheless, we will miss his presence and the joy he brought to us and our visitors every day.

We would love to hear your memories and see your photos of Mendeze as he truly was one treasured and special fella.

Sadly a step towards the species being extinct in Aussie zoos :( - are there currently permits and such in place to import further individuals if wanted ?