Join our zoo community

Mole Rats in Captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by CMP, 29 Apr 2021.

Tags:
  1. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Somewhat inspired by the thread Naked mole rats in zoos started by @Davdhole, what Mole rat species are kept in captivity and where?

The only two I've seen are the Naked mole rat, which is pretty common, and Damaraland mole rat, only at Brookfield zoo. Both species are fascinating in their social structure, which is much like a ant or bee, except these are mammals. They are also called besmols, and I think a few other species are also kept.

2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ZTL lists the following:
    Ansell's mole rat (Fukomys anselli): Basel, Berlin, Leipzig and Wuppertal Zoos
    Bocage's mole rat (F becagei): Was kept at Berlin and Leipzig Zoos
    Mashona mole rat (F darlingi): Was kept at London Zoo
    Mechow's mole rat (F mechowii): Osnabruck and Prague Zoos; was kept at Antwerp and Plzen Zoos
    Ochre mole rat (F ochraceocinerus): Was kept at London Zoo
    Ghana mole rat (F zechi): Was kept at London Zoo
    Cape mole rat (Georychus capensis: Was kept at London Zoo
    Common mole rat (G hottentotus): Was kept at Frankfurt and London Zoos
    Silvery mole rat (Heliophobius argenteocinerus: Was kept at Berlin, Leipzig-Grunau, London and Plzen Zoos
    Naked male rat (Heterocephalus glaber): 39 zoos (5 former holdings)

CMP and TinoPup like this.
  3. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The best exhibit of mole rats I saw was in a basement in the old Emmen zoo. The colony had horizontal system of plastic pipes over a mock dry soil. I think it was lighted red, like dry red clay, and invisible to the animals. Mole rats were easily seen and had much space. In the wild their tunnels stretch incredible 3 km. There are still some photos of this exhibit on the internet.

All other zoos I remember try to show a vertical cross-section of an imaginary soil. The mole rats are poorly visible and have less space. Frankly, such exhibits are not very interesting for visitors. They may be also objectively wrong - animal burrows don't typically go in layers under each other like human multi-storey buildings.

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The only non-Naked species I've seen is Damaraland Mole-Rat at Brookfield.

5. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Iirc they were also in Bronx but my last visit there was in 2019 so idk if anything has changed.
    @ThylacineAlive can you correct me if Bronx doesn't have the mole-rats anymore?

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They are still at the zoo, yes. There is a small but breeding population of this species in American zoos. One zoo, I want to say Peoria but I could be wrong, has Mechow's as well.

~Thylo

7. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I'm not sure if they are the only ones who have them, but yes Peoria does have Mechow's. They are the only other species I've seen here besides naked and Damaraland; don't think we have Ansell's over here.

ThylacineAlive likes this.