Join our zoo community

Monarto Safari Park Monarto Slideshow

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ZYBen, 2 Jan 2007.

1. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

well i think it was as well, but that was previous govt land that was cheap to the zoo society, and they saw it as being on the main think road between brisbane, melbourne and sydney. so in a way it did

i wonder what werribees and monartos visitation is, last year(2006) dubbos was jst over 200 000,Zoo hopes to boost visitor numbers

2. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Dubbo was also chosen to try and keep Dubbo alive. There were fears that the town would die without a major asset.
    Unfortunately it is way too far away. How many people drive to Melbourne from Brisbane today? I certainly don't, much cheaper and easier to fly. This is why I have never visited it, much as I would love to.

3. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

its another reason why, besides herpes, that locating an asian elephant breeding centre at dubbo would be a costly and cash-flow negative exercise. governments in these days of cost rationalisation, tend to like it when cultural assets can pay their own way.

4. Coquinguy

what were the boom years for dubbo? im guessing they would have been the mid to late 1990s, when petrol prices were low and dubbos high profile breeding program for the black rhino got it alot of attention.

5. Zoo_Boy

when dubbo first opened, in 78/79 i think was aboom with over 80 % of species breeding, making about 50 babies, i will look it up for yas

6. Zoo_Boy

sorry, i thought u meant boom, as in baby boom

7. Coquinguy

no attendance boom you fool. lol. i just wanted to know how many ppl go to wpz. i thought it used to be around 250, 000?

8. Zoo_Boy

i would sat it used to be, again i will go check the annual reports from 1999 till present