Join our zoo community

Monbulk animal kingdom

Discussion in 'Australia' started by lunarlove7, 10 Aug 2015.

1. lunarlove7

lunarlove7 New Member

Is there anyone who can tell me what happened to the lion from The Monbulk Animal kingdom?

2. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are a few mentions of the lions from Monbulk on this site, whilst I remember there being several lions at the park, the last 2 cubs (both males and I think, only 1/2 brothers) went to Lakes Entrance Wildlife Park for several years before going to Mansfield Zoo where they have both since died. There are photos of them in the Mansfield Zoo gallery - IMO I don't think they were as impressive as their father who had a very full black main, even down his belly. I used to have some old photos of him....

3. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On further contemplation, I would like to know what did happen to some of the other animals from Monbulk Animal Kingdom. The ones that I know of are - The jaguar, (Kera) went to Darling Downs Zoo (although it might have had a different name back then) and the at least one of the 2 pumas went to the Buxton Camel farm & zoo (now also closed down) along with the brush turkeys, some cockatoos and other birds.
    AFAIK, when Monbulk closed down, they still had 2 spider monkeys (Jacko & ....), 1 rhesus macaque & 1 long tailed/crab eating macaque (Sally) camels(Cleo & Freda) and quite a collection of reptiles, native animals, a few domestics, some Fallow deer, dingos & pheasants.

steveroberts likes this.