Join our zoo community

Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre 2009 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by crust2007, 8 Jan 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crust2007

crust2007 Well-Known Member

monkeyworld always help any primate in need of help

2. reptile1517

reptile1517 Well-Known Member

Monkey world

As I said, the trouble with that establishment is that they seem to be under the impression that they are the only people who know anything about primates. Dr. Cronin could have put her point across shall we say, with a little less force. There is much I could say about the Southport and Penscynor chimpanzees and Monkey World but I won't.

As I said originally, their "raison d'etre" was good. Unfortunately it seems to have faded somewhat.........

3. crust2007

Its ok to say what you wanna say.I am a HUGE supporter of mw but that doesnt mean i agree with every single thing they do.For example i think they moved aris in with the adults too soon.If you have other opinions then share them,theres nothing wrong with that

4. reptile1517

Monkey World

Believe me, I would love to use this website for "spilling the beans" but I am really not that sort of person. Suffice to say that MW used every trick in the book to obtain both the chimpanzees from Southport and those from Penscynor. Perhaps the Cefn-yr-Erw Primate Sanctuary would like to comment or Mr. & Mrs. Petrie who owned Southport Zoological Gardens.

5. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

I've read somewhere that they wanted a lot of money, to take the Penscynor chimps. Weren't they due to be put down before the owners of Cefn-yr-erw stepped in?

6. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

More the sort of person who prefers to accuse by innuendo?

7. reptile1517

Monkey World

Not at all. There is no point in raking over old sores. By the content of previous discussions on this site, most of it is well known anyway.

8. crust2007

oh yes that was on monkey business.The owners got quite upset.

9. porterlizz

porterlizz Member

My impression (- admittedly just from watching it all on TV), is that the staff at Monkey World freely admit that they DON'T know everything about primates, and that some of what they do is by trial and error.

Ultimately, their aim is good and that's good enough for me. If Alison came across as terse, who can blame her. It must be very frustrating at times to come up with the same problem again and again - particularly in this country, where we should know better by now.

10. crust2007

very good point.Its a very tough job ensuring over 200 animals are well cared for

11. porterlizz

porterlizz Member

I was going to say "I wouldn't like to do it".. but that would be a lie, I would LOVE to do it :)

12. crust2007

so would i.But i'd prefer to be a keeper

13. reptile1517

Monkey World

As much as I freely recognise their good work, I'm afraid that Alison Cronin was not just terse, but positively rude. If I had been the owner of the marmoset, I would have taken it home again if I was spoken to like that. I know several people in major zoological gardens and not one has a good word to say for Monkey World. So my advice to Alison Cronin would be to try and develop a better bedside manner when dealing with people who donate their (usually much loved) "pet" to Monkey World.

14. crust2007

really?why dont some zoos like mw?

15. porterlizz

porterlizz Member

Perhaps it depends on the perception of the viewer then, and the editing of the programme. I saw the programme and personally thought that Alison sounded fed up (terse), but was still respectful to the owner.

I guess all these different organisations work in different ways. Monkey World comes across as a very proactive organisation who actively try to stop the trade in primates. Sometimes that's going to be controversial (look at your animal rights groups for evidence of this going to extremes at times).

I'd be interested to know what the issues are so that I can form an educated opinion, but I guess noone is actually going to elaborate on here.

16. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

17. porterlizz

porterlizz Member

When I went to Monkey World last, late last year, Wendy said that one of the female golden cheeked gibbons had lost her arm during an attempted introduction to Rafael, and that they were going to have to think again. I assume he has gone elsewhere to meet a new lady.

18. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

He is still at the park and he is now paired with Alex, so the website says!

19. porterlizz

porterlizz Member

Oh yes. I must have my facts wrong, because it says that Alex has lost her arm through a completely different gibbon.

20. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

For starters it might have something to do with their inconsistent beliefs on breeding animals in captivity like breeding further hybrid Wooly Monkeys and not letting any of the pure bred Chimps they have be used to increase the captive population,and as far as i`m concerned the fact that they cannot except the fact that they are a ZOO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.