Join our zoo community

Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre 2013

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by katti4493, 6 Jun 2013.

1. katti4493

katti4493 Active Member

I've just realised we don't have a post for Monkey World about this year so here goes!

One thing I want to know is whether we know anymore updates about Hsiao-Ning at Rostock? Does anyone know?

2. orangutan

orangutan Active Member

Another question is Awan still be cared for by Hsiao-quai? And can we expect Lucky to fall pregnant soon?

3. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe Hsiao Quai is still caring for Awan and that they (and Jin) are currently living as part of the creche.

4. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Woolley monkeys have gone to Apenheul and Vallee des Singes

5. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bit of a vague post, how many and from which group?

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are they not owned by both institutions and is it not they were more out on loan and ... perhaps because of the ssp. / crossbreed issues not in great numbers???

7. JamesB

From what I have gathered from their Facebook page, 4 woollies have left: Julio, Diego & Lena & Milo.

8. OrangePerson

I won't bother posting at all in future.

9. JamesB

Sorry, it wasn't my intention to offend you. It would just be helpful to add more detail, if of course, you have it. I could have guessed from your post that all of the woollies had left, which isn't the case.

10. johnstoni.

johnstoni. Well-Known Member

Given the way the remaining Woolly monkeys in Europe seem to have been aggregated into larger groups at a handful of collections, is it the case that a TAG or EEP decision has resulted in a strategy of maintaining one generic population, rather than attempting to keep pure subspecific groups?

11. crust2007

crust2007 Well-Known Member

12. OrangePerson

Maybe you should ask a moderator to move it to the Monkey World section because it's just under UK, understandably people who look in the MW category don't see it.

Just realised this one isn't in the right place either!!!

Could a moderator move both these threads under Monkey World... pleeeeease....

Last edited: 22 Jun 2013
  13. OrangePerson

I was away from home with no other info - but be assured I'd have said 'all' if they'd all gone :)

14. OrangePerson

The two who've gone to Apenheul were Lena and Milo, Lena was born at Monkey World and Milo is her son with Oaska who came from Swizerland 'while the encosure was being redeveloped' - not sure if or when they are going back. A female Pacaja went from Apenheul to Monkey World to join Oaska's group.

The two who went to Vallee des Singes are Julio and Diego - both hand-reared at Monkey World after the mother Kuna did not take care of them.

Not sure where Julio and Diego's parents Kuna & presumably Levar came from originally. Lena's parents were Lorna and Levar again.

15. OrangePerson

Other news
    4 common marmosets (ex-pet) turned out to be 2 male silvery marmosets, a female common m and a hybrid daughter.

Now have a Geoffroy's marmoset (ex-pet).

A pygmy marmoset (pet trade) turned out to be a baby marmoset in very poor condition.

16. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Their facebook says that Hsiao Quai and Awan were there to settle Jin into the nursery group and have now returned to Gordons group.

17. OrangePerson

Golden cheeked gibbons Tien (m) (Pung-yo x Peanut) and Kim (f) (Zoey & Jake), Monkey World's first and second born gibbons, have been put together as a pair, now occupying the enclosure formerly home to Siamang gibbons Sam and Sasak. Sam and Sasak have moved down to the bottom of the park where Mueller's gibbons Dalumie & Adidas lived. Dalumie & Adidas are currently off-show.

The top gibbon enclosures are being improved.

18. katti4493

katti4493 Active Member

That's good news about Tien and Kim! Because I remember seeing on Monkey Life that there was chatter about sending Tien to Dao Tien (Monkey World's sister rehabilitation centre in Vietnam), but I am very glad that they are staying in the UK and contributing to the breeding programme.

19. OrangePerson

I think that is still a long term hope but not until there are no gibbons in Vietnam needing the places at the rescue centre.

20. Goretex

Goretex Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I went to Monkey World a month today! I did enjoy the visit. I managed to get some nice shots of the gibbons which I'm aware they have been discussed quite a lot on another thread.

One question does anyone know why they have not moved Brian and some of the nursery chimps along? It would seem time for them to move onto an adult group.

BTW it was nice seeing Osheme and she was making strange noises like blowing raspberries.